BB: D3 MLB Draft projections, picks and free-agent signings

Started by AlleyCat, May 29, 2008, 10:12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Dixon

From the preseason Baseball Anmerica ISSUE

TOP PROSPECTS, 2008 DRAFT
1. Blake Booher, rhp, Texas-Tyler
2. Garrett Nix, rhp, Wisconsin-Stevens Point
3. Drew Mandelblatt, of, Pomona Pitzer (Calif.)

Mr. Ypsi

Boomer,

I didn't hear any such stories (but as I said, I'm not an insider).  My take is that his sophomre year was just magic (a 0.40 era at the end of the regular season! ::) :o); his junior year was very good, but no one could expect that sort of stuff to be replicated. ;)

gatekeper43

Quote from: infielddad on June 02, 2008, 04:16:43 PM
Quote from: gatekeper43 on June 02, 2008, 01:26:12 PM
Quote from: infielddad on June 02, 2008, 01:17:59 PM
Baseball Amercia has Kurt Yacko listed as the 100th best prospect in California.
That would likely mean he could be selected any time from round 10 or after, which would make signing a tough decision, I would think.
Unless he says he would not sign, it is a pretty good chance he is going to hear his name called.

infield dad what does that mean exactly when you say that anytime from round 10 or after?? is that lacking any good numbers monetarily or paying for his last year of school?? I know that he was saying that there were numerous teams scouting him, double digit nimbers. it would be a shame if he had to go for any number below the 100,000's range

gatekeeper, it is very unlikely that there will be any offer in the $100,000's range if he is drafted after the 10th round.  MLB has issued more notices to teams this year about "slot" and staying within slot money
If he were to be picked between the 10th and 15th round, the numbers quoted of $30,000 to $50,000, for a junior,  would be pretty accurate based on prior years bonus reports on BA, and pitchers I know who have been drafted in the last two years in those rounds. 
The one variable is a team like the Yankees which is more than willing to overpay if they feel the player has big upside and they had the player slotted higher than they were selected. At least physically, Yacko doesn't have the size that allows for a lot more projectability of the type the Yankees  pay for in later rounds.
If you have been through the draft, you know nothing is exact, except for those in the first few rounds, and sometimes not even for them.
Today, there are players being told rounds 7-15 and they won't be picked.
There are scouts calling telling kids the round that team will pick them....and they won't.
You just hope for the best for players like Yacko and the other DIII guys.  Hope they get picked, by a good organization where they can compete and get opportunities, and that the money vs getting the degree is  in the proper perspective.

infield dad, thanks for the heads up!! it really helps to hear it from someone that has been there. another question for you though? I have heard it from several sources regarding the draft and if the kids don't sign when they are offered a contract that it takes them out of the system and off the radar of the scouts that followed them all year, is this accurate? Also what if the scouts have not been contacting you. What are the chances of a kid being drafted? Then the all important issue of a sr. loosing his bargining power if they do not get drafted as a jr.?
I know as a parent that it is more important for me to make sure that my kid gets his education, that baseball is an opportunity that may only last one season, but what a dream for a kid that has his sights set on playing in the big show!! I know that as a kid they can't see past tomorrow and how invincble and idealistic they are but as a parent looking at the big picture and years of the grinding it out at the grindstone how one outweighs the other. But the dream is also a very strong aphrodisiac and money the other motive that we all strive for. We all wish the best for our kids and we work so hard so they have it a little easier than we did, but it also kind of scares me to wonder if they don't take the carrot when offered is that going to put a wrench in the spokes for the future of there career. Plus the instruction at the next level, so they sign for the better coaching they will get playing at the next level?
I know that I am just rambling on here so I will cut it short but I appreciate any and all the insight that comes from the mentors that have came before us. once again infield dad thanks you for your informative comments on these issues. :)

infielddad

gatekeeper,
While failing to sign after being drafted as a junior might mean you will not be redrafted by the same club, it certainly does not mean a player will not be selected as a senior by another club.  If that player returns for his senior year and puts up very good numbers, either similar to or better than those which got him drafted as a junior, he is pretty likely to be drafted. I know two pitchers who failed to sign last summer after being drafted who did very well this Spring and are getting far more interest now than last summer both in terms of teams and projected rounds for the draft. In fact, a club can draft a player in two consecutive drafts but needs to get an agreement from the player if they cannot sign him following the first draft. So, it isn't correct that you won't get drafted if you fail to sign as a junior.
What is true is that he will have little to no leverage as a senior sign when it comes to money.
In my personal view, though, for other than the top 2-3 rounds, no player should be looking at this for the money, and the dream should not get too much in the way of reality.  Money is only made when you are a top draft pick, get to MLB or complete 6 years of Milb, can still play and can negotiate a decent free agent contract with a AAA team.
Players in Milb make from $1,300 to $2,200 per month, during the season from April to August.  That is the extent of their income from baseball during the 6 years they are under contract to the first team that drafts and signs them.
Players in Milb compete because they absolutely love the game, have a passion to compete and get better, and because they force the team to promote them before the team concludes they can be replaced and releases them. Players in Milb play every single day knowing they can be released and be done tomorrow. They see it happen everyday, to very good players.
Bottom line:  about 90% or so of the 1,500 players picked in the next two days are not going to get enough money for it to be meaningful in their choices of what to do in terms of college vs signing.  If you are junior and don't sign, you can get drafted the following year, but you do need to continue to show you can play and demonstrate the skills that got you drafted in the first place.
For those college juniors who do get the choice to sign following the draft or return and finish their eligibility, they need to know that Milb is a business.  If you are picked anywhere from round 15 and after, you need to "earn" playing time and prove you can play, and you won't get many chances to do so in many organizations.  If you fail to do so, your organization will have 2-3 players competing for your spot and will have no qualms releasing you.
Our son was a 25th round pick in 2004.  Of the second day picks in his organization, only he and the 19th round pick are still in Milb. Most of those picked on day 2 in 2004 were released by the end of  2005.
In my view, especially for DIII players in top programs who are drafted as juniors after the 10th round, it would be a very, very tough choice to accept the type of money that might be available and give up graduating on time and having that last year of college competition.
Milb is such a singular experience as contrasted with the team experience of college baseball. It can be very gratifying to prove you can play, and succeed,  with the best.  For our son, he got into a number of MLB Spring Training games, got AB's against Randy Johnson in Spring Training, and caused a bit of a stir when he was the only DIII player who competed in the MWL All Star Game in June of 2005. He competed quite well.
But, in retrospect, he loved his senior year in college when he completed his degree in 4 years,  where they won the SCAC tournament, played in the championship game of the West Regional, and he had the opportunity to compete with the Newport Gulls of the NECBL, one of the very top summer wood bat league teams anywhere, including the Cape and Northwoods leagues.
In a sense, he got the best of both, but I would not suggest his experience or our values would be right for everyone.
There are monetary amounts in bonus money that make the decision worthwhile, but those amounts will be available to very, very few DIII players, in my view.  When you consider how little money is available in Milb for most players and also realize it is truly a business where you can be finished tomorrow, it is easier, in retrospect,  to see the value of completing your education and having those types of team experiences that Milb cannot/does not provide.

gatekeper43

WOW thanks infieldad!!! sometimes we forget that is what it is all about instead of $$$$'s. I guess that it is slammed into our heads from the ESPNer's and the Fox Sports shows. I do know that my main focus is getting my son his diploma and that anything after that is icing on the cake. Not that he shouldn't have lofty goals and reach for the sky, because like the old axiom says the sky's the limit and nothing is out of reach as long as you strive for the moon!! my kid is playing in the NECBL this summer and will no doubt get some great instruction plus have the time of his life. Who knows hopefully it leads to something bigger and better for his career. thanks for everything infieldad ....

infielddad

More from BA draft projections:
LHP Shane Wolf from Ithaca;
Michael Zannardo a catcher from Cortland St;
Adam Frost a shortstop from St Norbert.
While BA isn't complete yet, there just are not very many DIII's in their draft analysis. 

Jim Dixon

Mike Zaccardo did not have a all-american season but has been steady as the Red Dragons backstop.  I agree that he has a shot of being drafted. After all with out a catcher you have a lot of pass balls.

Quote from: infielddad on June 03, 2008, 06:07:48 PM
More from BA draft projections:
LHP Shane Wolf from Ithaca;
Michael Zannardo a catcher from Cortland St;
Adam Frost a shortstop from St Norbert.
While BA isn't complete yet, there just are not very many DIII's in their draft analysis. 

infielddad

gatekeeper,
I think I found your son in the NECBL.  He is a very, very good pitcher and should have a summer where he is challenged, but where he should also get very good visibility to scouts.
The other thing he will get is tired. 
The NECBL operates just like Milb.
Play a 7pm game and then have a bus ride if you are the visitor, sometimes long busrides of up to 5-6 hours, get in around 3am and back at it the next day. Do that for 42 games in about 50 or so days and you get plenty fatigued.
Hope you can get to New England and watch some games.  If you can, Newport's Cardines field is a must.  Oldest park in the US, (a flagpole in CF) big crowds of about 2,500 per night, and terrific ownership.  You can sit in right field(I mean almost in right field) on the patio of  a local  pub and watch the games.  Of course I never did that???? ::)
North Adams, Keene, Vermont and Sanford are also wonderful environments for a night of college baseball.
Hope he has a great summer, if he doesn't get drafted in the next two days.

gatekeper43

Quote from: infielddad on June 03, 2008, 06:59:59 PM
gatekeeper,
I think I found your son in the NECBL.  He is a very, very good pitcher and should have a summer where he is challenged, but where he should also get very good visibility to scouts.
Play a 7pm game and then have a bus ride if you are the visitor, sometimes long busrides of up to 5-6 hours, get in around 3am and back at it the next day. Do that for 42 games in about 50 or so days and you get plenty fatigued.
Hope you can get to New England and watch some games.  If you can, Newport's Cardines field is a must.  Oldest park in the US, (a flagpole in CF) big crowds of about 2,500 per night, and terrific ownership.  You can sit in right field(I mean almost in right field) on the patio of  a local  pub and watch the games.  Of course I never did that???? ::)
North Adams, Keene, Vermont and Sanford are also wonderful environments for a night of college baseball.

I guess that it would be wishful thinking to be able to make it to any games this summer, although I do remember when he was on a traveling team he played a tournament in Oneata NY at Oneata College, that was the year that Dave Winfield and Kirby Pukett along with Mazerowski (sp) were inducted to the hall of fame. He played at the minor league park there and I can't recall the name of the field but it was where Babe Ruth played.
It was a beautiful field and what a great place for baseball. We stayed right behind the old timers field in Cooperstown. I am hopeful that he gets a chance to get more indepth instruction from a different set of coaches, my wife mentioned to me that once he gets there and gets settled in all should be fine.
I do appreciate the insight from a fresh perspective. I want to thank you for your help and that if we were able to get some advice like this when he was in high school I think that he might be a little farther a long in his devolpment maybe.
GK :)

Rick Vaughn

If you can, Newport's Cardines field is a must.  Oldest park in the US, (a flagpole in CF) big crowds of about 2,500 per night, and terrific ownership.  You can sit in right field(I mean almost in right field) on the patio of  a local  pub and watch the games.  Of course I never did that???? ::)

Don't forget that both dugouts are the first base side.  Right on the water as well.  Very quirky park, but fun.

scuba16

Quote from: gatekeper43 on June 03, 2008, 09:55:02 PM
gatekeeper,

I guess that it would be wishful thinking to be able to make it to any games this summer, although I do remember when he was on a traveling team he played a tournament in Oneata NY at Oneata College, that was the year that Dave Winfield and Kirby Pukett along with Mazerowski (sp) were inducted to the hall of fame. He played at the minor league park there and I can't recall the name of the field but it was where Babe Ruth played.
It was a beautiful field and what a great place for baseball. We stayed right behind the old timers field in Cooperstown. I am hopeful that he gets a chance to get more indepth instruction from a different set of coaches, my wife mentioned to me that once he gets there and gets settled in all should be fine.
I do appreciate the insight from a fresh perspective. I want to thank you for your help and that if we were able to get some advice like this when he was in high school I think that he might be a little farther a long in his devolpment maybe.

Damaschke field, Oneonta NY is the field you are thinking of!
In sports it's not how you start, its how you finish!

gatekeper43

Quote from: scuba16 on June 04, 2008, 12:01:32 PM
Quote from: gatekeper43 on June 03, 2008, 09:55:02 PM
gatekeeper,

Damaschke field, Oneonta NY is the field you are thinking of!

I knew that I didn't spell it right, but still what a great facility. Just the ambiance and the deep baseball tradition of the whole area. It seems that every kid should be able to experience that at least once before they become adults, I know that will always be apart of my sons memories and that he will be able to pass that on to his kids.

LargeTuna21

While there may be many good prospects this year in D3 baseball, I think Bronson (Trinity, TX) might be the first one taken. Clearly I am biased having played with him, but he has a number of things going for him.

For one, his stats from his last 2 years (Soph and Junior) are very impressive. This year he was 9-3 with a 2.28 ERA, not to mention having 102 K's in only 82 IP. What's more impressive is that he had 102 k's to only 19 BBs. He has impeccable control with 3 pitches.

Another thing that he has going for him is that he is a LHP who has hit 90 MPH on the gun and frequenty sits at 85-88 in games. As a LHP those are impressive readings from a kid that has proved he can mix pitches and hit his spots.

I wish all the D3 kids the best. In the last 5 years I have seen many D3 kids get drafted and it is always nice when they can get into the minors and represent and prove that we weren't all a bunch of medicore athletes at the D3 level.

dukes

Quote from: LargeTuna21 on June 04, 2008, 02:48:17 PM
While there may be many good prospects this year in D3 baseball, I think Bronson (Trinity, TX) might be the first one taken. Clearly I am biased having played with him, but he has a number of things going for him.

For one, his stats from his last 2 years (Soph and Junior) are very impressive. This year he was 9-3 with a 2.28 ERA, not to mention having 102 K's in only 82 IP. What's more impressive is that he had 102 k's to only 19 BBs. He has impeccable control with 3 pitches.

Another thing that he has going for him is that he is a LHP who has hit 90 MPH on the gun and frequenty sits at 85-88 in games. As a LHP those are impressive readings from a kid that has proved he can mix pitches and hit his spots.

I wish all the D3 kids the best. In the last 5 years I have seen many D3 kids get drafted and it is always nice when they can get into the minors and represent and prove that we weren't all a bunch of medicore athletes at the D3 level.

Tuna, I wish your boy the best, but a few things that you think are really important really are trivial. He will not get drafted because he struck out 102 and only walked 19 or because he can throw three pitches for strikes. He will get drafted because he is a lefty, with some velocity (although...there is a LARGE difference between hitting 90 on a gun, and consistently being there.) The velocity range of 85-88 will make a big difference, but also will his physical statue. Listed at 6'3 wont hurt. Regarding his three pitches, their is a difference between 3 pitches with control and 3 plus pitches. Also, has he played against any high level competition and how has he faired? He very well may be the highest selection and no doubt is a good pitcher, but stats dont tell the whole story, especially at d3. And from his stats, I dont even know if he was the best pitcher on that team.

bbnag101

GOOD LUCK TO ALL D3 PLAYERS IN THE NEXT FEW DAYS!!!!!! Some players will be very excited and then there will be some with broken hearts.  All of these kids (young men) will have GREAT STATS, but only a select few will be able to continue.