WBB: NESCAC

Started by Senator Frost, March 12, 2005, 09:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maine 1

One more point--Amherst better not look past Bates--as Bates can ring up some big numbers and pull an upset.

amh63

Maine 1....Do not expect either team's coaches will let that happen.  Do you?

HoopMama

joe8579

I'm taking Bates over Trinity on Saturday.

bsc73

Quote from: remsleep on January 28, 2013, 11:22:23 PM
Smith tops Williams tonight. Hersey is a real up and comer as a coach--have watched her for several years now.....after Amherst dissed her ( although they obviously did OK with Gromacki!),   look what she has done at Smith, which was pitiful prior to her arrival. Looks like Williams started their Maine trip a few days early.  They just never stretch themselves. Generally pretty talented but a little adversity and down they go.  Make that 0-2 in Maine.  Sorry, but they are sooooo frustrating.,,,,get someone like Hersey in there to coach the Ephs.,,,you would see a huge change for the better.   If anyone has watched Smith play I think you would agree with me that Hersey has gotten more out of very average talent than I have seen in quite a while.  They are intense....starting with the kid Quatrocchi who is a warrior.
Coach Hersey has done an outstanding job at Smith. she has taken a program that was awful and made them into a real force in New England. I do however feel you're doing the players a disservice when you say that they are a team of very average talent when in fact they have some players on that team that are very much above average and in fact would be significant contributors to any program in New England.

sumfun

Also give Hersey the credit for recruiting, along with Billy McBride, the class that were freshman in Amherst's first NCAA appearance (Sweet 16) and 3 Final fours with one National Championship.

joe8579

Gromacki definitely inherited two phenomenal forwards (Daigneault and Leyman), who were better than any first-year coach has a right to expect. Obviously, his next class was great as well, but there is no doubt that he started with very good pieces.

7express

Quote from: Maine1 on January 30, 2013, 03:15:55 PM
One more point--Amherst better not look past Bates--as Bates can ring up some big numbers and pull an upset.

Having seen both Trinity & Bates play Western Connecticut this year I'd say Trinity has a better chance of beating Tufts then Amherst has at losing to Bates.  Granted, both of those matchups were back in November, so both Bates & Trinity could be totally different teams now.

Maine 1

The reason I believe Bates could pull an upset here is that Bates has beaten both Colby and Bowdoin twice.   And both Bowdoin and Colby played well against Amherst.  I believe Bates is better than both of those teams. I also believe Bates is better than Trinity, and should beat Trinity. But Amherst has to be at its best game to beat Bates.

Bottom line is that although there is a clear difference between the top three teams and the rest of the league, I do think any one of the other teams could give the top three a scare on the right night.

amh63

Maine1....good points.  Will be there to watch tonight....should find out soon enough.  FYI, new video by a student put up yesterday of the Amherst and Williams games on LeFrak...on website...with a few remarks from both coaches.

MVP

One more point--Amherst better not look past Bates--as Bates can ring up some big numbers and pull an upset

Also, the Tufts v Amherst match-up , since these teams only meet once, the winner may determine who will have home court for the conference semi-finals and finals.

Maine 1

So I missed quite a bit on last night's Bates-Amherst game.  Might have been one of Amherst's best game of the season.  They shot well from the outside, and the defense was suffocating.  Tufts had a strong finish against a tough Trinity last night, setting up a great game this afternoon. Looking forward to a ride out to Amherst this afternoon.

7express

I will be paying attention to this Amherst Tufts game from Western this afternoon

daoustian

Amherst-Tufts first half comments:
- Certainly living up to the rep as a defensive struggle, though in part that is due to poor shooting, particularly Amherst -- the Jeffs are having trouble finishing, aren't capitalizing the times they have good looks, etc.
- As I said last year, Voigt plays too out of control -- it's her game, always has been, but sometimes she plays too fast and loses the handle or can't finish after blowing past defenders, particularly to her left.  I don't know whether she'd be as good a player if she slowed down a bit, but I wonder.
- Amherst is having a lot of trouble in the post, which seems odd given its slight height advantage
- Zwecker is going to be a quality player -- haven't seen many Amherst games this year, but was impressed with her play once Voigt got into foul trouble -- creative passer, good penetration, looking forward to great things from her
- Crowley lost her cool in a bad way at the end of the first half with the third foul -- granted, she's getting beat up in the post pretty badly, but she committed a frustration foul and then didn't seem collected once she hit the bench -- looked like more than fatigue with her head in her hands for an extended period. 
- Barnosky is a good, scrappy player for the Jumbos.  She makes that team go.   
#3 for 3...good!

sumfun

Great Amherst win.  They now control their own destiny, though Williams will be ready for them.  I'll take an "out of control" Voigt any day.  Much different team when she runs the point, and the presence of mind to put up that 3 as the shot clock ran down was amazing.  So nice to have such good video and replays from D3Hoops.  Nice job guys on the call too!