WBB: NESCAC

Started by Senator Frost, March 12, 2005, 09:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronk

Quote from: gordonmann on February 05, 2017, 01:08:50 AM
It's very rare to see the top two teams play each other during the regular season. How rare? By my count it's only the fourth time it has happened since 1999-2000.

http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2017/02/wrapup-024-women

I was at the Bowdoin-Scranton game that you mentioned and remember as the best-played women's contest that I've seen in person, a battle for the full 40 minutes.

gordonmann

Yeah, I saw the Hope/Howard Payne game in Texas and it's the first game that comes to mind when trying to think about the best women's game I've seen.

I also saw No. 1 Thomas More host No. 2 St. Thomas in the Elite 8 a couple seasons ago. I removed it from the list since that was one of the wins that Thomas More vacated.

amh63

Interesting posts by two knowledgeable WBB followers.
Me, just watched the Amherst win over Tufts in Cousens on Tufts Senior night in front of announced 2000 fans from BOTH schools!  May not be the best announced (Maine1 comment...I agree) and called game by the persons with the striped shirts (thanks to replay), but it must be the best defensive game between two top teams with potent offenses.  Tufts, the number 1 ranked team scores just 3 points in the 2nd period and 5 in the fourth period...only 17 points in the second "half".
Again....three straight games in which the winner wins by ONE point!

amh63

FYI....New rankings today....Amherst No.1 with Tufts at 4th.  Tufts surrounded by undefeated teams. 

Maine 1

quite week on the board.  We have 5 times with a 3-6 record fighting for the last three playoff spots. Colby with a big win last night over Conn College is in good shape for a spot if they win today.  If Middlebury beats Trinity they will secure the number 4 spot, but  I think anyone who finishes 5 can beat Middlebury.  I don't see anybody touching the top three.  Amherst will sleep walk to the NESCAC final, and Tufts and Bowdoin will have to fight it out.

amh63

Amherst finished the regular season undefeated and had another blowout win in LeFrak.  Good home crowd...for senior day.  Announcer pointed out that the last time Hamilton went to the NCAA post-season, Coach GP was the HC of Hamilton.  Was enjoying his time there and only place he would move to was Amherst.  An opening came and Coach G arrived at Amherst, grew up in the area, etc.  The rest is history. Got advice from an Overseer/trustee of Hamilton, a friend and an Amherst Alum.

Maine 1

Ii looks like both Williams and Bates will get in to the playoffs. If Bates wins, they would jump Colby for fifth as they have the head to head. If Willia ms wins, they would not jump over Colby.
Amherst is very lucky to have the Coach they have. He is a notch above everyone else in the conference.

ronk

Quote from: amh63 on February 11, 2017, 05:22:09 PM
Amherst finished the regular season undefeated and had another blowout win in LeFrak.  Good home crowd...for senior day.  Announcer pointed out that the last time Hamilton went to the NCAA post-season, Coach GP was the HC of Hamilton.  Was enjoying his time there and only place he would move to was Amherst.  An opening came and Coach G arrived at Amherst, grew up in the area, etc.  The rest is history. Got advice from an Overseer/trustee of Hamilton, a friend and an Amherst Alum.

My understanding is that he did move to Drew but left without coaching a game there when Amherst became available.

amh63

ronk...believe you are mistaken.  Coach GP did coach at a higher level before returning to D3 at Hamilton.

Maine 1

according to Amherst website, he was at Temple between Hamilton and Amherst (doesn't mean he may not have been close somewhere)
Amherst, Tufts and Bowdoin should have no problem next week.  Colby and Middlebury are even, so that game could go either way.  The bottom five in the playoffs are interchangeable, and have no chance beyond next weekend.

ronk

Quote from: Maine1 on February 12, 2017, 07:17:20 PM
according to Amherst website, he was at Temple between Hamilton and Amherst (doesn't mean he may not have been close somewhere)
Amherst, Tufts and Bowdoin should have no problem next week.  Colby and Middlebury are even, so that game could go either way.  The bottom five in the playoffs are interchangeable, and have no chance beyond next weekend.
Quote from: amh63 on February 12, 2017, 03:53:51 PM
ronk...believe you are mistaken.  Coach GP did coach at a higher level before returning to D3 at Hamilton.

Looks like he was @ Drew after Temple and before Hamilton, instead of between Hamilton and Amherst like I thought I had heard in a recent interview on Hoopsville.

http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2006/10/gromacki-leaves-drew-before-a-single-game

amh63

ronk...whatever. Did he leave in the middle of the night!? :). Not everything here on D3hoops is written in stone, imho.
Bottom line...coincide your point...do not care really.  Point I posted was when he left Hamilton to go to Amherst after a 20 win season at Hamilton.

ronk

Quote from: amh63 on February 12, 2017, 09:03:28 PM
ronk...whatever. Did he leave in the middle of the night!? :). Not everything here on D3hoops is written in stone, imho.
Bottom line...coincide your point...do not care really.  Point I posted was when he left Hamilton to go to Amherst after a 20 win season at Hamilton.

Yes, Scranton met his Hamilton team that season in the 2nd round of the NCAA tourney; have suggested that Scranton invite Amherst to its December holiday tourney; would be an attractive matchup.

ronk

For the Williams fans - just learned of a commit by a good point guard

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: ronk on February 12, 2017, 07:44:06 PM
Quote from: Maine1 on February 12, 2017, 07:17:20 PM
Quote from: amh63 on February 12, 2017, 03:53:51 PM

Looks like he was @ Drew after Temple and before Hamilton, instead of between Hamilton and Amherst like I thought I had heard in a recent interview on Hoopsville.

http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2006/10/gromacki-leaves-drew-before-a-single-game

Yeah - I apparently have gotten this screwed up. Sorry about that, ronk. I guess history has confused the story for me. Have to check with the guys, because I think a few of us have gotten this backwards over time... OR I am just losing my mind.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.