BB: New England Region Baseball Fields

Started by Paul Heering, April 06, 2007, 05:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Heering

Saw they started a thread about this in another region and was interested to see what people thought about Facilities in New England.

What are some of people favorite places in New England to watch/play a Div III game?  What are some of the least favorites (be nice)?

From my experience (and i haven't been to them all obviously)...

Favorites
Eastern Connecticut (although i got shelled)
Babson (except for the very short porch in right center)
Springfield (very high mound, very nice)

Least FavoritesAmherst/Trinity (both nice fields but personally i don't like the wide open / un-enclosed nature of the fields)
Any field with a backstop that was very close to the plate (i.e., right behind dirt cut out)
Salem State (not sure this is where they still play but it was quiet odd, circa 1998)

Heard Are Nice But Have Never BeenSouthern Maine
Wheaton
WNEC (Tralease park not old one)

others chime in, please

wordsmith

My favorites are:
So. Maine - nice complex, HOFEF knows how to build it so they will come
St. Joe's - Citizen Sanborn has built a quality field and complex
EConn- Quality park, but they are still the Evil Empire
Wheaton-Sidell is ideal
WNEC - Nice views as long it is dry

Least favorite:
UMBoston - do they even have a real field?
UMDartmouth-always windy always cold
Keene State -Awful site lines, also always windy and cold
Plymouth St- ahhh baseball in the 1950s
Amherst - Their indoor field is nicer than the outdoor field
Word

DIII Dad

Haven't been to alot but Wheaton, Clark (although parking wasn't great) and WNEC are nice.
Endicott is terrible (no place to sit and watch except outfield or in the near by trees) same with Coast Gaurd as far as seating. They have a nice blue mesh on the fence to look through.

soxfan42585

Saint Joe's played today at home!

Must be the only field in the state to play...

wordsmith

Quote from: soxfan42585 on April 09, 2007, 11:26:57 PM
Saint Joe's played today at home!

Must be the only field in the state to play...

St. Joe's you say? I'd say Divine Intervention.  ;)
Word

RedDevils36

St. Sanborn more likely.  That guy is amazing.  He gets his players out on the field shoveling and removing snow on a flat bed.  One year he had a helicopter come in and dry the field by flying over it. 

Stump

St Joe's played Monday and Tuesday home. Hosting Husson Wednesday also. Field is looking great and seems to be holding up beautifully. Great facilities crew and the team has put in a lot of time to get it ready. It's a must see to believe after all the recent weather. They had about 12 to 14 inches of snow in last week's storm(Wednesday into Thursday) and playing on it Monday when the temps haven't gotten above 45 yet.

363dp

I watched the Colby/St. Joes game yesterday while standing in ~ 8-9" of snow and the field looked to be in great shape.  What an amazing job getting that field in that condition! The St. Joes "team" should be proud that they are playing at home this week! Grounds crew, coaches, team members congratulations on  your dedication and hard work, if you put this same effort into baseball, your season will continue to be very succesful.

soxfan42585

Apparently Hurricane April took down a row of lights at Saint Joe's...  I hope that isn't devine intervention....

anyone see a forecast for next weekend? Doesn't look bad!  I heard "Seasonable temperatures!!!!!!!!!!"

Stump

How nice will seasonable feel?!

wordsmith

Quote from: soxfan42585 on April 17, 2007, 08:14:57 PM
Apparently Hurricane April took down a row of lights at Saint Joe's...  I hope that isn't devine intervention....

anyone see a forecast for next weekend? Doesn't look bad!  I heard "Seasonable temperatures!!!!!!!!!!"

Sorry to hear this news as Will Sanborn and St. Joe's have worked really hard to build a great field and a quality program.

Caddyshack
Word

Stump

Here's hoping it's easily fixed because Mahaney Diamond is a marvelous field. Great place to watch a quality program.

soxfan42585

Aside from the fields that are in rough shape because of Hurricane Month of April, are there any fields that tend to dry/maintain/drain well and can be expected to be played on quicker than others?

hockeyfan77

Best fields

USM: a nice venue to play in and the infield is really nice, very few bad hops
ECSU: Never played there but loved watching the games there
ST Joes: The could be best and worst fields: great place to watch a game but as a player I didn't enjoy playing on it...Why??? Hard to explain but I always had trouble picking up the ball and the hops aren't always true...

Worst: Well U-Mass Boston and BC high field...There probably isn't anyting nice to say about it...
The field in Harwich were the regional is held: played 2 years of Babe Ruth(won the title in Maine) and I hated it...fog rolls in around 8 , can't see a thing and then the OF is very hillly, horrible on the legs...

dgilblair

The worst I have seen and they are not as good as a lot of high school fields.  RIC and WCONN.