D3 vs.

D1....2-60
D2....9-47
NAIA 1....16-22
NAIA 2....66-70
NCCAA....35-6
USCAA....67-8

Hoops Fan

Isn't that the same trend that is affecting the record vs NAIA-II?  There is very little reason for a D-III school to schedule an NAIA-II.  The games don't count in the regional rankings or records and if they lose, its almost always considered an upset.  It seems like, for the most part, the higher end of D-III teams has stopped scheduling NAIA-II schools except where it is a geographical necessity.  Rhodes can probably check on that from year to year.  Maybe D-III is just having a down year (a possibility discussed at length early on in the season).

Scott Fendley

I do know Wabash once played Ball State, Houston, Arkansas, and UTEP in one strech in 1973-74. The next year they played Miami of Ohio, New Orleans, Centenary (with Robert Parish) and Cincinnati.  

Wabash was also in a conference with Evansville, Butler and Valpo.

When Mac Petty got there he stopped that silliness for the most part, but when they won the title in 1982 they had four losses - three to Louisiana Tech, Texas A & I (now D-2 Texas A & M - Kingsville (Go Javelinas!)) and Texas - San Antonio.

The last time we played a D-1 team was Butler in 1988. It just makes no sense here - there's plenty of D-3 schools to play and there's plenty of D-1 schools for the D-1 schools to play.  

(Message edited by SmedIndy on February 11, 2005)

Rhodes Scholar

Hoops Fan: There are a fair number of D3 schools that play NAIA 2 schools year in and year out. Many of those games are traditional rivalries. I think those games will continue to be played.  

I don't know if the top D3 teams are playing less games against NAIA 2 teams or not. If they are, it could be do to geographic reasons more than anything else. Plus, I think that D3 and NAIA 2 are more evenly matched than you believe.

Scott Fendley: I think that in the '70s and early '80s quite a few D3 schools played multiple games against D1 opponents, and more against D2 teams as well.

Rhodes Scholar

Central 77, Faith Baptist (NCCAA) 64
Lancaster Bible (NCCAA) 80, Wesley 78

David Collinge

Rhodes, I have long been in awe at your ability to find and post and keep track of these scores.  For the last week or so, I've been chasing scores of the more obscure D3 (vs. D3) games, and I have a little taste of what it must be like to maintain this board.  I have to admit that I grossly underestimated what you do.  I'd have said it was impossible if I didn't see it right in front of me every day.  Bravo and thanks, we truly appreciate what you do for us.  

Rhodes Scholar

David: Thanks for the kind words. I've always found this topic interesting. On certain days a fair amount of work is involved, while on others it's pretty easy. I'm glad this forum is available and there are people out there who enjoy the board.

Rhodes Scholar

Johnson State 91, Paul Smith's (USCAA) 57

Rhodes Scholar

Colorado College 59, Western State (D2) 57

Rhodes Scholar

Lincoln 97, Newport News (USCAA) 69
Nebraska Wesleyan 90, Hastings (NAIA 2) 68
UW-Whitewater 100, Rob. Morris-Spring. (USCAA) 63

Rhodes Scholar

Fisk 91, Crichton (NCCAA) 74

Rhodes Scholar

Northern Colorado (D2) 83, Colorado College 67

BedtimeForBonzo

I was rather surprised to see that score on the ESPN scroll last night.

Scott Fendley

Northern Colorado is beginning its migration to D-1. Plays mostly a D-1 schedule and is included in the RPI. I guess they needed a game.

Rhodes Scholar

Scott: You're right. I forgot that Northern Colorado is D1 provisional. I keep thinking of them as D2 because they were a D2 powerhouse in football. I'll classify them as D1 for the next won-lost totals.

I believe North Dakota State, South Dakota State and UC-Davis are D1 provisionals as well.