MBB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Scots Hoops Fan, March 14, 2005, 09:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

econboy87

I expect the Wooster-Mount Union game to be a track meet next week. It will probably come down to taking care of the ball and I would give Mount Union the edge in that department. Home court advantage may not exist for Wooster with the students on Thanksgiving break and that is huge as they have really been vocal the first two games. Hempy versus Hill will be very entertaining to watch. I would rate Hempy as the most complete player in the NCAC right now and as he goes so do the Scots.

Dr. Acula

Quote from: Dr. Acula on October 29, 2019, 02:38:35 PM
Quote from: Smitty Oom on October 27, 2019, 01:29:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLBEwao55Eo

D'Vontay Friga, a guard for the Mount Union MBB team, has a fairly popular youtube channel were he chronicles his life as a D3 basketball player. I haven't watched them all but they are definitely pretty enjoyable as a general D3 fan. Plus it gives some insight into scrimmages and practices at MUU.

This may have been brought up before I don't read this thread routinely, sorry if it is a repeat.

I subscribed to D'Vontay's YouTube channel a few months ago.  He does a really nice job.  Keeps it fun and a little goofy, but does provide some good content especially for HS kids (and younger).  When I subscribed he was trying to get to 2,000 subscribers and now he has over 41,000.  Good for him.  It seems like he puts a good amount of time and effort into it so I'm glad he's growing a subscriber base.

D'Vontay is really gaining a following.  He's over 55k subscribers now.  He's done some cool content recently.  He shadowed a Hiram player to show a day in the life of another school's student athlete.  He did a day in the life of a women's BB player at Mount (two actually since they were twins).  Those and stuff like showing their locker room/gear, what road trips are like, home games, etc. is all great content for HS kids wanting to play in college. 

He has a nice mix of funny videos and more informative ones.  I subscribed just because he's a Mount kid, but I've already watched far more content than I ever imagined.   

kiltedbryan

Mount Union 77
Adrian 80

This is a genuine surprise. Adrian was picked last by the MIAA coaches in their preseason poll. Mount had a 10 point lead with 13 mins left in the second half, but that was the high-water mark. Raiders missed two last-second 3 point attempts that would've tied it.

Dr. Acula

Quote from: kiltedbryan on November 23, 2019, 09:35:23 PM
Mount Union 77
Adrian 80

This is a genuine surprise. Adrian was picked last by the MIAA coaches in their preseason poll. Mount had a 10 point lead with 13 mins left in the second half, but that was the high-water mark. Raiders missed two last-second 3 point attempts that would've tied it.

It was an awful result.  Adrian is not good.  Then they turn around and lose 80-78 at Trine yesterday.  It was a rough weekend for Mount.  They did not look good in either of those games.  Too many missed layups/not finishing in close, missed open looks by good shooters and inconsistent D.  In both games at least one opposing perimeter player absolutely torched them.  Yesterday Trine beat them on a blow by from the 3 point line for a layup with 2 seconds left.  If they play like they did the last two days at Wooster it'll be bad news.  They'll regroup and be ready though.

Dr. Acula

Bounce right back.  Huge win 81-67 at #16 Wooster.  Last weekend was an anomaly hopefully. 

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Dr. Acula on November 27, 2019, 08:39:38 PM
Bounce right back.  Huge win 81-67 at #16 Wooster.  Last weekend was an anomaly hopefully.

Not just a huge win, a dominant performance.  I'm not sure either of these teams is a national contender, but UMU looked to be better all around.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dr. Acula

Mount opened OAC play handing JCU their first loss with a 96-79 win at UH.  If you're doing pluses and minuses on your schedule a road win is always big in the OAC, but a road win at JCU is definitely a big plus.  I watched the game and Mount played really well after weathering a tough start.  Mount was cold shooting out of the gate and Flannery and Sartain were not.  Mount steadied themselves and fought back to lead by 6 at half.  It looked like Mount's size bothered JCU.  JCU just didn't have the big bodies to match up down low (33-23 on the boards).  Mount rotated through Carroll, Hill and Caywood in the post with Caywood being the high minute guy with 9 pts, 6 reb in 18 min.  Slack also stepped up huge with excellent D and 24 points on 10-14 shooting.  He hit a couple threes that were much needed.  Bower-Malone had a double double with 17 pts, 10 ast.  Friga added 21 and 5 boards off the bench.  Overall it was a 2nd consecutive very complete effort on the road against a quality team from Mount.

JCU has to come right back and play at Etta Saturday so they're being thrown in the fire immediately in OAC play.  Mount gets ONU at home. 

Dr. Acula

Mount moved to 2-0 in OAC play beating ONU 81-60.  Gurley started strong with 11 points early to match a quick start by ONU.  Friga looked really good going aggressively to the rack multiple times finishing strong.  And Hill looked the best I've seen him so far.  Just more comfortable and confident around the basket.  Showing nice touch and athleticism.

On the ONU side, they're very young.  They started a senior, a sophomore and three freshmen.  Their two best players were two of the freshmen.  Their first guy off the bench was another freshman.  They're going to take some lumps this year, but could be a problem down the road.  Napier is a nice player at 6'5".

hsbsballcoach7

Slack is a nice player and someone I was really surprised to see playing lots of minutes. There is a ton to like about him though, plays good defense, rebounds well, shoots well and can make some game changing momentum type plays. I feel like Mount has quite a few guys that have the capability of changing the game quickly and that's exciting to see. I like the versatility of the lineups that Fuline can use with different types of guards and big men. These guys just need to remain consistent and keep getting better. Looking forward to the rest of the season!

Dr. Acula

I was surprised to see Slack starting and playing so much too, but after watching most of their games it makes sense to me now.  He's 6'4" and athletic so he's critical as a perimeter defender for them.  His outside shooting has been the best surprise of the season IMO.  He's really emerged as a key guy.

It's way too early to know if this is Fuline's best team or not, but they have very few weaknesses.  As I posted earlier, their depth in the post is something they don't usually have.  This year they have 3 bigs playing 10+ minutes apiece so far.  As Hill continues to rack up game minutes with his new teammates he's going to be a problem for opponents.  You can just see it in how easily he gets shots off when he gets the ball down low.  His footwork and his bounce just get him off the floor and the shot up before the defender can contest it well.

I like them bringing Friga, Hill and Painter in off the bench.  It gives them a nice burst when the teams start subbing because those are 3 starter quality players coming off the bench.  And as you mentioned the versatility is big.  Fuline can adjust his crunch time 5 from game to game and feel confident in who has on the floor.  The biggest reason why is because they all defend.  There is no gunslinger 3 point shooter who is a folding chair on defense.  It's going to be fun to watch them develop.

Dr. Acula

Mount needs to clean up their atrocious passing in the second half.  13 Raider turnovers including 9 steals by Wilm at half.  Credit to Wilm as they're in Mount's jerseys defensively, but you need to be fundamentally sound passing (and receiving).

Dr. Acula

Mount did not clean up their ball control much with an additional 10 turnovers in the 2nd half.  Bower-Malone had a very uncharacteristic 9 turnovers alone.  In the end it didn't matter as Mount won 84-74 to stay perfect at 3-0 in OAC play.  Gurley took over in the 2nd half scoring 24 of his 26 points.  Painter had two critical corner threes in the second half as well.  He really clutched up at times when they badly needed a big shot.

On Wilm I will say this, they're undersized.  Mount out rebounded them 43-23.  But they are certainly athletic.  They are in your jersey on defense.  Excellent on ball pressure, aggressive in the passing lanes.  And they have a couple scorers.  Mansfield had 29 and is averaging 20 a game.  They're now 2-1 in OAC play and they're going to give some people pains.  The box score doesn't do this game justice.  It was a very close game with Wilm leading the majority of of it.  They trailed only 70-68 when they game went under 4:00.  I was impressed with their effort.

Outside of Alliance JCU has officially dug themselves one helluva hole dropping to 0-3 with a loss to Musky.  They unfortunately came up unlucky on the Marcus Dempsey front as he shot well Saturday (12-22) and finished with 38.  You know when you play the Fish that Dempsey is going to chuck up a ton of shots.  You just have to hope he isn't hitting a high %.  JCU needs to rattle off a few in a row with ONU (minus Napier recently), Ott, Wilm and Berg on deck.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

What a start to the 2019-20 season! As we head into the holidays "break," there is a lot to talk about. We don't have enough time in a show to cover it all, but we will do our best.

Tune into Hoopsville Thursday night as Dave is joined not only by a couple of coaches who have their programs humming along, but also three of the show's best prognosticators who will open up a few Christmas gifts for Division III fans.

Marietta men are once again playing very well in the first half of the season, but do you know why the Pioneers are this good? Jon VanderWal gives us some insight of what is going on in Southern Ohio. Plus, the Augsburg women are one of four MIAC teams ranked in the Top 25 this past week. The Auggies are coming off an unprecedented win over St. Thomas (Minn.) as well. Ted Riverso discusses how it is the perfect bow before their three-week break.

Plus, Bob Quillman and Ryan Scott give us their individual takes on the first part of the season and what they expect in the final two months. And Gordon Mann gives us his exceptional takes on the women's side of the ledger. Who really are the best teams in the country and who should we be watching?

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch Sunday's show On Demand in the following ways:
- Main page: www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville
- Show page: http://bit.ly/2EBOzt2 (or www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2019-20/dec19)
- Facebook Live Simulcast: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville (only the first 45 minutes aired; may have had a copyright problem haha)
- YouTube Simulcast: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
- Team1 Sports: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville/
- Team1 Sports app (Android TV, Amazon Fire, Apple TV, Roku) - you will either find it under the "live" section or search for the Hoopsville channel

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- Bob Quillman, Hoopsville contributor
- Jon VanderWal, No. 6 Marietta men's head coach
- Ryan Scott, D3hoops.com Around the Nation columnist
- Ted Riverso, No. 16 Augsburg women's head coach
- Gordon Mann, D3hoops.com Senior Editor

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Fifth and Putnam

The 4th annual Great Lakes Invitational will take place November 20-21, 2020 back on the campus of Marietta College.

The 2020 Field:
Great Lakes: Marietta, Wilmington, La Roche, Wabash
Outside: St. Thomas, Whitman, Emory, Randolph Macon

https://pioneers.marietta.edu/news/2019/12/27/great-lakes-invitational-returns-to-ban-johnson-arena-in-2020.aspx

Dr. Acula

Mount swept their two games in FL over the weekend to improve to 8-2. They beat Alfred and Union.  I watched most of both games. They handled Alfred easily and pulled away from Union in the 2nd half.  Union should have been a little easier.  They had a couple nice players but overall were surprisingly unathletic.  Mount outclassed them by a wide margin and down the stretch it showed.