MBB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Oxy'03SalemPavers, March 10, 2005, 12:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scandihoovian

Guru-
Dead on about the huge damage a few louts can do to the reputation of a larger group.  I was at a high school game on Friday where two members of the other school's student body took it upon themselves shoot the moon in front of 1500 people of all ages.  Not only did they demonstrate a gross misunderstanding of the correct time and place for what can be a classic comedic move  ;) they seriously damaged the reputation of their school, which has taken great strides to try and overcome a reputation as the "third" high school in the district. 

As for the game itself...
Can anyone shed any light on why CMS seems to have improved so dramatically over the last month or so?  I'm trying to figure out how this Stag team, who has been very impressive throughout the conference schedule, lost twice to a Chapman team that struck me as decent but not outstanding (recent loss to Santa Cruz)?

TeeDub

Quote from: scandihoovian on February 14, 2006, 01:49:25 PM
Can anyone shed any light on why CMS seems to have improved so dramatically over the last month or so?  I'm trying to figure out how this Stag team, who has been very impressive throughout the conference schedule, lost twice to a Chapman team that struck me as decent but not outstanding (recent loss to Santa Cruz)?

I'll be listening for insight on the rise of Claremont, but I'd also love to hear any theories on the decline of Chapman.  Early in the year, they looked like THE team in the west, starting off 8-0 and looking strong...

WestCoastWhiner

OxyBob, you and all of the Tiger fans are walking on pins and needles, waiting for the proverbial shoe to drop.  I'm not challenging your analysis, just calling out that your squad is 18-2 and been a solid figure in the top 20 for all of conference play. 

All you Oxy folks need to have more confidence in your players & coaches.  Those kids are winners.  The conference is good this year and it is largely in my view due to everyone watching what someone outside of the Big 3 has done, Oxy, and realizing that if Oxy can do it, maybe they aren't as far off as the inner demons told them they were.  Everyone can play with Oxy and they know it.  

Redlands, CMS & PP will bring their A games, just like they did in the first meetings.  But these kids at the Rock are winners who keep playing like champions.        

"I've won at every level, except grade school, junior high, high school and college."

tigersports

My take after reading a good and lively board:

An Oxy loss followed with a win at PP probably gets Oxy in.  Tough to leave out a 22-3 team that is 15-2 in region.

Even IF CMS beats Oxy, they are not home free as they are at Laverne two days later.  ULV is the third best team in the conference right now and, from what I hear, they will be able to play at home.  (I heard this from a player, but was wondering if anyone had an update).

CMS's early in-region losses will hurt if they don't beat Oxy.

I think it's setting up for the March 3-4 regional to be in SoCal.

Be listening tomorrow!

K.C.

I'm glad to see the subject of rude fan behavior at games has been brought up. There's one particular sickening display of it that I've seen numerous times this season, just about every time I've gone to watch Pomona play an away game (or even home against CMS).  The chants if "You are ugly!" directed at certain reigning Player of the Year makes me sometimes wish Alex would lose his cool and show these terds what ugly really looks like.  Luckily for them, he outwardly does not seem to be bothered by it.  That guy has had to put up with garbage about his looks every season I've watched him play (all four, or five if you include the year he was hurt).  That kind of attack is much more personal than chanting that someone is gay (they probably don't know if they player's gay or not, and chances are he's not).  I'm sure Alex realizes he's not never going to be on the cover of GQ so if you want to get on him about his game than leave it at that.

Sagecock

Laverne will be hosting home games I'd assume for the rest of the season (PP will be there this wednesday for sure...that or the players have been misled)

And really, all the "you are ugly" chant demonstrates is a fundemental lack of creativity.  As top academic schools SCIAC fans should really come better prepared then that. 

OxyFan21

"You are ugly", or "you are gay" are both entirely classless and completely out of line.

Let's score 200 tonight!  ;D

WestCoastWhiner

KC, tell Lloyd to give Redick a call and he'll understand that how to turn that into a positive.  Personally, I heard 3 CMS coeds commenting after hearing that chant at the CMS game that they don't know where it comes from because they think he is kind of cute. 

A guy at Maryland had a shirt on that read in the front "JJ, I'm going to name my first child after you" and on the back it read "So I can beat him every day".  

"I've won at every level, except grade school, junior high, high school and college."

scandihoovian

Quote from: tigersports on February 14, 2006, 09:23:57 PM
My take after reading a good and lively board:

An Oxy loss followed with a win at PP probably gets Oxy in.  Tough to leave out a 22-3 team that is 15-2 in region.

Even IF CMS beats Oxy, they are not home free as they are at Laverne two days later.  ULV is the third best team in the conference right now and, from what I hear, they will be able to play at home.  (I heard this from a player, but was wondering if anyone had an update).

CMS's early in-region losses will hurt if they don't beat Oxy.

I think it's setting up for the March 3-4 regional to be in SoCal.

Be listening tomorrow!

Good points, tigersports.  While I do think CMS will prevail on Saturday, part of the challenge for both CMS and Oxy is the Saturday-Monday twist at the end of the SCIAC schedule.  Seems like both PP and ULV are playing well enough to win on Monday, especially given the short preparation/recovery time.

dj_hyphen

Quote from: WestCoastWhiner on February 15, 2006, 12:37:55 PM
A guy at Maryland had a shirt on that read in the front "JJ, I'm going to name my first child after you" and on the back it read "So I can beat him every day".  

while that got the headlines, this pic is the all time classic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/cgoldens/2.jpg

sciacguru

D O.C.

QuoteNot only did they demonstrate a gross misunderstanding of the correct time and place for what can be a classic comedic move   they seriously damaged the reputation of their school, which has taken great strides to try and overcome a reputation as the "third" high school in the district. 

oops...that and streaking will get you registered as a sex offender that will stay with you the rest of your life nowadays.

Liger Hoops

Should be an exciting game out in the Rock tonight. Let's hope Oxy can handle the system the way they did in the first meeting. Redlands stayed hot in the first half but cooled in the second. I'm hoping for a blow out for a few reasons: 1 Oxy needs the win to build momentum heading into CMS, 2 I would like to see Oxy be able to use some/more of their bench to save some legs for the looong weekend ahead and 3 Betty's dunks in the first game were unreal and I can't get enough of huge dunks on Redlands.

Just want to know what other people on this board think but who are the best fans in the SCIAC? Obviously I'd be bias to place Oxy at the top (which I am and would), but what do you all think? Top to bottom ...

1) Oxy
2) CMS/P-P (They are all the same anyways, although i think this weekend CMS is going to pack the place)
3) Redlands
4) Cal-Tech ( A band in a gym that holds 75?! Awesome)`
5) Whittier
6) La Verne

Go Tigers!

OxyFan21

Havin trouble with the oxy broadcast anyone?  I can't get it.

samiam

Quote from: OxyFan21 on February 15, 2006, 11:09:44 PM
Havin trouble with the oxy broadcast anyone?  I can't get it.
I can't get it either. Rats.