FB: Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Adam Sayer, December 24, 2006, 10:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FCGrizzliesGrad

My question is what good would saving a year of eligibility do? If they're on campus they're probably still graduating in 4 years and moving on so they end up graduating with a year of eligibility left. If they're taking the year away from school they should still be able to get their 4 years of playing in.
Certainly every school and conference is different and some places it might be more useful, but I don't see much benefit in this particular situation to preserving eligibility.
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

Dr. Acula

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on September 22, 2020, 07:48:54 PM
My question is what good would saving a year of eligibility do? If they're on campus they're probably still graduating in 4 years and moving on so they end up graduating with a year of eligibility left. If they're taking the year away from school they should still be able to get their 4 years of playing in.
Certainly every school and conference is different and some places it might be more useful, but I don't see much benefit in this particular situation to preserving eligibility.

This was pretty much my question too, but then I saw that article mentioned on the CCIW board that all but 2 of the current seniors from NCC are going to come back and play next year.  I was shocked by that.  I would have guessed less than half came back, but I guess I'm way off.  Most D3 schools aren't cheap.  I can't believe the NCC scenario would be the norm.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Dr. Acula on September 23, 2020, 03:44:10 PM
Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on September 22, 2020, 07:48:54 PM

This was pretty much my question too, but then I saw that article mentioned on the CCIW board that all but 2 of the current seniors from NCC are going to come back and play next year.  I was shocked by that.  I would have guessed less than half came back, but I guess I'm way off.  Most D3 schools aren't cheap.  I can't believe the NCC scenario would be the norm.

Nobody says those students have to be enrolled this fall.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

jaybird44

Hello all!

Usually I post items about WashU games that I have or will broadcast, or about general observations from other games and events.  However, this post regards a topic that is quite a bit different--with the athletic shoe being on the broadcaster's foot.

I am going to attempt to cover 100 miles in a solo charity ultramarathon through an event that I have organized.  "Rett Gets Rocked Virtual Ultra Weekend" will be conducted in the subdivision where I live in St. Charles, MO, to raise awareness and research funds for Rett syndrome.  I get started at 9 a.m. Central on Saturday, October 3 and end at 5 p.m. Sunday, October 4.  Proceeds from the event will be split between Rettsyndrome.org (the only national organization spearheading research and providing resources for affected patients and their families) and the Rett Spectrum Clinic--a collaboration between the WashU School of Medicine and St. Louis Children's Hospital.

Rett syndrome is a rare, non-inherited neurological disorder that is caused by a gene mutation in the brain.  Rett strikes typically when a child is 6-18 months old, and it takes away the child's ability to move and communicate.  Most of them end up in wheelchairs with active minds, but mired in the physical rubble that Rett creates.  And, the neurological damage prevents verbal communication and arm and hand movement for sign language.

In essence, Rett does to a child what Lucy in the "Peanuts" comic strip does to Charlie Brown when he tries to kick the football that she is holding.  The only difference is that Charlie Brown can get back up to try again.  Those who are afflicted with Rett syndrome don't get another chance to enjoy a vibrant life.

If you would like to make a donation to the cause, here is the link to my Rett Racers donation page:  https://rettracer.everydayhero.com/us/rett-gets-rocked-2020

Thanks for your time and consideration, and let's hope that we get back to playing and broadcasting sports much sooner than later!

Jay Murry
Play-By-Play Announcer, Washington University in St. Louis
Event Director, Rett Gets Rocked Virtual Ultra Weekend

FCGrizzliesGrad

First game of the season for the HCAC is here and as has been the case for several years it's Manchester-Trine.

Basketball
2015 Nat'l Pickem

Soccer

FCGrizzliesGrad

Manchester offense with a 3 and out to open the game... Trine drives down but a good goal line stand holds the Thunder to just 3.
The play clock is really weird... sometimes counts by 1 second, sometimes as much as 5... it's all over the place. 22... 20... 17... 12... 10... 7... 6...

Basketball
2015 Nat'l Pickem

Soccer

Pat Coleman

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on October 10, 2020, 01:12:17 PM
Manchester offense with a 3 and out to open the game... Trine drives down but a good goal line stand holds the Thunder to just 3.
The play clock is really weird... sometimes counts by 1 second, sometimes as much as 5... it's all over the place. 22... 20... 17... 12... 10... 7... 6...

Where to watch: https://www.d3football.com/notables/2020/10/trine-manchester-broadcast

Seems like a function of the interface that they would be using to get the stadium scoreboard onto the broadcast. The broadcast position is all the way across the field from where the scoreboard equipment is and so they would be transmitting it wirelessly ... plus the broadcast computer has to be capable of processing all that data, and maybe it's not.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 10, 2020, 01:23:47 PM

Where to watch: https://www.d3football.com/notables/2020/10/trine-manchester-broadcast

Seems like a function of the interface that they would be using to get the stadium scoreboard onto the broadcast. The broadcast position is all the way across the field from where the scoreboard equipment is and so they would be transmitting it wirelessly ... plus the broadcast computer has to be capable of processing all that data, and maybe it's not.
It wasn't the broadcast, it was the clock at the back of the end zone. Looks like they might have turned them off now.

Basketball
2015 Nat'l Pickem

Soccer

Pat Coleman

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on October 10, 2020, 01:26:00 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 10, 2020, 01:23:47 PM

It wasn't the broadcast, it was the clock at the back of the end zone. Looks like they might have turned them off now.

Ahh, OK.

Those are also often run wirelessly these days.

FCGrizzliesGrad

Spartans down 20-0 at halftime... offense has been a little bit anemic, defense has been pretty solid down near the goal line but they're down there too much. Unless something changes it looks like a 6th straight loss and 13 in the last 14 years against Trine.

Basketball
2015 Nat'l Pickem

Soccer

FCGrizzliesGrad

Manchester loses to Trine 37-0. HCAC off to it's usual non-conference start ::)

Next week we get a doubleheader when Bluffton heads to Trine at 1pm while Manchester hosts Adrian for an evening game at 6pm.

Basketball
2015 Nat'l Pickem

Soccer

Darryl Nester

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on October 10, 2020, 03:53:09 PM
Next week we get a doubleheader when Bluffton heads to Trine at 1pm while Manchester hosts Adrian for an evening game at 6pm.

Bluffton @ Trine is cancelled, because of Ohio's travel advisory: "Those entering Ohio after travel to states reporting positive testing rates of 15% or higher for COVID-19 are advised to self-quarantine for 14 days." (Indiana currently has a 16% positivity rate, while Ohio is shown at 4% on the linked map.)

Adrian @ Manchester is still listed to go on as scheduled on Saturday; I assume Michigan (4%) has no similar advisory. As things stand right now, Bluffton will host Adrian next weekend.

FCGrizzliesGrad

After being pushed back months, and then a further week, it's finally here... game week. ;D

Basketball
2015 Nat'l Pickem

Soccer

FCGrizzliesGrad

Preseason Poll is out

1) Hanover                  62
2) Rose-Hulman         54
3) Mount St. Joseph   50
4) Franklin                  40
5) Bluffton                  30
6) Manchester            25
7) Anderson               16
8) Defiance                11

Basketball
2015 Nat'l Pickem

Soccer

ADL70

The Hanover - Mt St Joseph meeting was apparently conducted as a scrimmage. I haven't been able to find an explanation. Anyone know why?
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite