FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on July 09, 2019, 10:38:36 AM
makes no sense to finish the season this way .... can u imagine the loser of the HSC vs. RMC game being forced into this game ... talking about playing with absolutely no emotion in front of parents/friends only ...... no way D3 is drawing a big crowd in Va. Beach this time of year .... way too many really good games on TV, HS playoff games, hunting season/fishing explodes this time of year and golf is still being played ..... I really don't think odac coaches will support this ... can easily see a 2nd place odac school refusing to participate

This is my problem also. I like the concept, but the opponent is just such a stinker. Not because of whether NNA is good or bad, though they are generally more bad than good, but just because who cares? There is nothing on the line. Nothing. The other conferences that have gone this route have done a good thing making it about conference bragging rights. The ODAC simply found the cheapest way to host a game that is about as exciting and interesting as... well... not bothering to play at all. NNA gets a whole lot out of this. They struggle to fill there schedule, they get a quality game at the end of the season, they get to test themselves against a decent opponent. Whoever goes from the ODAC gets... one more chance to lace them up in a game they expect to win, get no bonus for winning, and get ragged on for losing.

This has "blah" written all over it.

tigerFanAlso2

too damn far to drive for an absolute meaningless game ..... time better spent writing papers/studying for finals ....
odac please do not do this to your football playing schools .... if my kids still played I would not attend this game

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: jknezek on July 09, 2019, 01:46:13 PM
Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on July 09, 2019, 10:38:36 AM
makes no sense to finish the season this way .... can u imagine the loser of the HSC vs. RMC game being forced into this game ... talking about playing with absolutely no emotion in front of parents/friends only ...... no way D3 is drawing a big crowd in Va. Beach this time of year .... way too many really good games on TV, HS playoff games, hunting season/fishing explodes this time of year and golf is still being played ..... I really don't think odac coaches will support this ... can easily see a 2nd place odac school refusing to participate

This is my problem also. I like the concept, but the opponent is just such a stinker. Not because of whether NNA is good or bad, though they are generally more bad than good, but just because who cares? There is nothing on the line. Nothing. The other conferences that have gone this route have done a good thing making it about conference bragging rights. The ODAC simply found the cheapest way to host a game that is about as exciting and interesting as... well... not bothering to play at all. NNA gets a whole lot out of this. They struggle to fill there schedule, they get a quality game at the end of the season, they get to test themselves against a decent opponent. Whoever goes from the ODAC gets... one more chance to lace them up in a game they expect to win, get no bonus for winning, and get ragged on for losing.

This has "blah" written all over it.

Agreed. This game provides a no win situation for ODAC teams. Win? You're supposed too. Lose? It looks terrible for your team and the conference. NNA has everything to gain and nothing to lose.

This fall NNA only plays 1 ODAC team. Southern VA in the last game of the season. I suppose if S. VA finished 2nd in the ODAC they'd play in the Neptune Bowl the next week?  Who would pay to see that? 

I hope this is a short term deal with NNA. 
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

Jeremybozz

Praying for the Washington & Lee Generals football program as Walt Michaels has died at age 89. As a Fullback for the Generals, Walt led W&L to the 1950 Gator Bowl (though he could not play due to appendicitis). He was Defensive Coordinator for the New York Jets when Joe Namath guaranteed a win over the Colts in the 1968-69 Super Bowl. He led the New York Jets to the 1982 AFC title game where they lost 14-0 to Don Shula and Miami. He coached the New Jersey Generals in the USFL before an owner by the name of Donald John Trump fired him. RIP Walt. To a life well lived.

jknezek

Quote from: Jeremybozz on July 11, 2019, 07:15:34 PM
Praying for the Washington & Lee Generals football program as Walt Michaels has died at age 89. As a Fullback for the Generals, Walt led W&L to the 1950 Gator Bowl (though he could not play due to appendicitis). He was Defensive Coordinator for the New York Jets when Joe Namath guaranteed a win over the Colts in the 1968-69 Super Bowl. He led the New York Jets to the 1982 AFC title game where they lost 14-0 to Don Shula and Miami. He coached the New Jersey Generals in the USFL before an owner by the name of Donald John Trump fired him. RIP Walt. To a life well lived.

Yes. Probably the most famous of our football alumni. I met him once back in the late 90s when I was in school, though not at W&L. I don't remember him visiting but that's not unusual for that generation of alumni. He asked me about my Dolphins hat at the time and I told him about going to Jets games in the mid 80s with my Dad when I was just a kid. Despite Dad working for the guy who owned the Jets, and being a Jets fan himself, I just couldn't bring myself to root for Ken O'Brien over Dan Marino. He laughed pretty hard about it.

Birddawg79

Rumor has it that W&L has set a scrimmage date with neighbor VMI on 8/31. Should be a good gauge on where the Generals are if this comes true.
I will stop short of saying that the Generals are loaded but I will say that we have a large group of seniors, with lots of playing time under their belts. The Jr class and even some Soph are ready for full time action as many have logged lots of game time the past 2 years. Incoming Freshmen class looked athletic and hungry this past weekend at the freshman camp.

We are looking forward to a great season!

GO GENERALS!

Generals98

Would love to see the Generals scrimmage VMI but VMI is scheduled to play Marshall 8/31 in Huntington.  Looking forward to the Season also!  Go Generals!!!

Quote from: Birddawg79 on July 22, 2019, 10:42:54 AM
Rumor has it that W&L has set a scrimmage date with neighbor VMI on 8/31. Should be a good gauge on where the Generals are if this comes true.
I will stop short of saying that the Generals are loaded but I will say that we have a large group of seniors, with lots of playing time under their belts. The Jr class and even some Soph are ready for full time action as many have logged lots of game time the past 2 years. Incoming Freshmen class looked athletic and hungry this past weekend at the freshman camp.

GO GENERALS!

HSCTiger fan

GO GENERALS!

Freshman camp?  Who was running it?  I thought there were not supposed to be organized football activities during summer. 
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

hasanova

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on August 02, 2019, 01:15:02 PM

GO GENERALS!

Freshman camp?  Who was running it?  I thought there were not supposed to be organized football activities during summer.
You noticed that too?  I thought there is a date in August when all DIII teams are allowed to report and start.

MUC57

Quote from: hasanova on August 04, 2019, 11:01:36 AM
Quote from: HSCTiger fan on August 02, 2019, 01:15:02 PM

GO GENERALS!

You noticed that too?  I thought there is a date in August when all DIII teams are allowed to report and start.

Practice can start 23 days before the 1st game. 🏈
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

Pat Coleman

It's not quite as simple as "23 days" but that's fairly close. It also depends on when the first day of classes is.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

MUC57

Thanks Pat for the clarification.  :o
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

Hawks88

Now maybe some clarification on what this "freshman camp" was?  ;)

HSCTiger64

Not to throw another school under bus but I have seen Averett University do this.  They had a prospect camp and put the prospects in blue shirts and all the incoming freshmen in yellow.  They even told parents what the deal was and the reason was to give coaches a look at their incoming guys running drills

Jeremybozz

Randolph Macon ranked 24th in d3football.com preseason poll.