"Official Thank-you Board" for the NCAA Women's Brackets.

Started by Ralph Turner, February 26, 2007, 10:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Out_Of_My_Kitchen

When I first saw this pod I thought Charlie Sheen was making the pods.   ;)  But there are reasons.  I guess whoever comes out will be ready battle tested for the sweet 16!

Quote from: monsoon on February 28, 2011, 06:29:12 PM
Agree that the committee did a good job of splitting up the "orphans".

Wish they would have split up the @Hope pod:  Hope, DePauw, Denison & Washington U. is a heck of a four-some that certainly could have been balanced out a bit better.

BlueZoneBruin

Quote from: Ralph Turner on February 28, 2011, 05:30:13 PM
HPU lost to Coe at the Holiday tourney at Concordia TX (CTX) in December.  If the HPU Lady Jackets can beat a tough L&C team, then they can get the rematch.

Ralph,

Recently you posted about what you've seen from the NWC over the past few years in their battles with ASC teams. What are your thoughts on the L&C/HPU game on a neutral floor? L&C is a really physical team, but not very deep. From what you've said, HPU started slow and has come on strong. I think the same could be said for L&C. They lost to Chapman, which i don't think would happen if they played today. This is also L&Cs first trip to the tournament, whereas HPU clearly has experience. I just wonder how much tournament experience is still there from those teams that made the deep runs. Need your thoughts.

BlueZoneBruin

dahlby

BlueZoneBruin:

Look at the HPU team page. They started the year very slow and picked up around mid-season, beating a few teams in the conference that they lost to earlier in the year. HPU will be a factor in the tourney this year. They will be physical. And the program knows how to win. Good luck to L&C.

I am not so sure that L&C would win a rematch with Chapman, although I haven't followed them much. Our team really has jelled this year and improved further than I thought they would, when you consider their size. Our coach knows how to sqeeze a lot of blood out of a turnip. I guess we will never know unless they meet in the playoffs.

Ralph Turner

I have the greatest respect for the NWC teams.  We ASC teams do not match up well with the NWC teams.

We are not as tall or as big as the NWC teams.  When McMurry and Howard Payne played the NWC teams in the 2007 playoffs, your defense was the best that we had seen.

2008 National POTY HPU's Meia Daniels only had 1 fastbreak basket when she played ((?GFU?) Puget Sound* in the 2007 playoffs.

HPU is almost a completely new team from the 2008 team.  HPU lost ugly to Transylvania in 2009.  LaCollege did not look good versus GFU last season.

I think that HPU is playing well.  I think that they must make L&C run.  We play a fast, physical game down here, but I think that NWC women are taller and stronger, just because of their physical dimensions (i.e., 2-3 inches taller with the associated proportional weight.)

HPU distributed bunches of minutes.  Twelve players had double-digit minutes this season.  I think that HPU needs to dominate the tempo, and hit the outside shots to win.

HPU stats

HPU Roster

*Thanks Gordon!

Dutchfan

Thank You NCAA for making Regions that make no sense and then not sticking to them.

gordonmann

Good stuff as always, Ralph.

The NWC team that Howard Payne played in 2007 was Puget Sound.

BlueZoneBruin

Quote from: gordonmann on March 01, 2011, 02:29:52 PM

True. That was back in the day (every year but this one) when the top NWC teams had to knock each other out in the second round. UPS was good that year, but had lost three times already to Fox. The next year, Fox came to Brownwood and took on undefeated #1 Hope, losing in a very close game.

It will be interesting to see how splitting the NWC teams this year will end up. It looks like Fox should be able to get through the Chapman pod. And depending on how well L&Cs shots are falling, could both make it to the Sweet 16? If so, that would bring up an interesting question: Who hosts?

My assumption in this case would be that GFU, UW-SP, L&C, and IWU emerge. UW-SP and IWU are within 500 miles, as are GFU and L&C (18ish miles). UW-SP is likely to be hosting the men's Sweet 16. Would the NCAA give IWU home court advantage through the whole tournament? It seems like this has come up every year, and for the past three Hope and IWU have fallen one game short. Would the NCAA let a lower seed (GFU) host in this case in order to preserve some semblance of fairness? 

dahlby

BlueZoneBruin:
I was happy to see the NW teams split. It is a good chance to show the strength of te conference.

Chapman played in Brownwood (I think it was the same year HPU went all the way). Their gym holds 5 or 6 thousand  and was PACKED and LOUD. Their support from the community and school is great. Brownwood, an old military base town is located in a place that is hard to get to from anywhere, and a result athletic events are big time. We also played a football game there in a huge stadium. The home town factor will be in play.

Good luck!

Dutchfan

If I was a fan of any team but Hope, Denison, DePauw, or Wash U. I would be saying 'Thank you for not sending me to Holland and the Pod of Death'.

Out_Of_My_Kitchen

Quote from: BlueZoneBruin on March 01, 2011, 03:45:11 PM
Quote from: gordonmann on March 01, 2011, 02:29:52 PM

True. That was back in the day (every year but this one) when the top NWC teams had to knock each other out in the second round. UPS was good that year, but had lost three times already to Fox. The next year, Fox came to Brownwood and took on undefeated #1 Hope, losing in a very close game.

It will be interesting to see how splitting the NWC teams this year will end up. It looks like Fox should be able to get through the Chapman pod. And depending on how well L&Cs shots are falling, could both make it to the Sweet 16? If so, that would bring up an interesting question: Who hosts?

My assumption in this case would be that GFU, UW-SP, L&C, and IWU emerge. UW-SP and IWU are within 500 miles, as are GFU and L&C (18ish miles). UW-SP is likely to be hosting the men's Sweet 16. Would the NCAA give IWU home court advantage through the whole tournament? It seems like this has come up every year, and for the past three Hope and IWU have fallen one game short. Would the NCAA let a lower seed (GFU) host in this case in order to preserve some semblance of fairness? 

I believe that St. Thomas is seeded ahead of Stevens Point for the men's side.  If they would both meet in the Sweet 16 it would most likely be in St. Thomas new arena.  This would open up for SP to host, but I would have to believe that the IWU women are still seeded ahead of SP.

Scratch

Quote from: dahlby on March 01, 2011, 04:14:26 PM
Chapman played in Brownwood (I think it was the same year HPU went all the way). Their gym holds 5 or 6 thousand  and was PACKED and LOUD. Their support from the community and school is great.

Thanks dahlby, you made my day. 
The Brownwood crowds are loud and proud, and we have been known to lead the league in attendance.  But, for the record, the Brownwood coliseum holds 2,961 (max) on the upper deck.  We can squeeze in a few hundred more by putting some portable bleachers on the floor, but it only sounds like we have 5 or 6 thousand.  :)
Man walk on road. Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk down middle, sooner or later, get squished just like grape. -Miyagi

dahlby

Scratch:

I assume that you are  a HPU fan.
I predicted to some of my friends that either HPU or LA College would be in the final four. I think they both are under- rated, especially HPU, which came on stronger as the season progressed.

Good luck to your Ladies!