MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Pinecone_Curtain on February 27, 2015, 04:35:39 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 27, 2015, 04:33:53 PM
Yeah... I'm just trying to allow for the outside chance... but I would agree, Whitworth could be done.

Whitworth or Whitman?

And, yeah, I could definitely see Whitworth not hosting at all if the cards fall as they might. But a win tomorrow helps.

Sorry... Whitman... already working on little sleep LOL.

Though, not sure Whitworth gets in with a loss in the title game, either.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

(509)Rat

Another year, another tourney bid. L&C did a good job of hitting timely shots to stay in it for 38 minutes.

Whitworth should get to host a round but I don't think that happens. Will be interesting to see the d3hoops guys' bracket projections. They are better at creating an equitable bracket with the NCAAs rules than the selection committee itself...so basically I'm not shocked when their predictions are wrong  ;D

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Honestly... I think NWC hits the road along with the SCIAC winner to a pod say in Texas... because there has to be flights anyway and it doesn't look like Texas will consist of three teams.

Post edit: There are three teams in Texas, but I still think these two west coast teams head east to Texas, one other thought was Emory, maybe somewhere else. But hosting for Whitworth will not happen unless we are surprised that Whitman makes the tournament.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

A Buc Forever

http://whitworthpirates.com/sports/mbkb/2014-15/releases/201503023luoau

Going to Georgia!!!!

Should be a fun trip with winnable games.  Yes, it is a long ways to go for the opening round, but that's an old story. 

D O.C.

Well then. good luck. Let's hope there are no weather delays to make the trip even more tough.

stag44

Just finished up putting together PER metrics and published the top 100 players in the nation this year. I'll narrow this to include just the NCAA eligible players later this week.

It does seem that the figures skew slightly higher than I would have expected but that could be attributed to the larger variance between players in D3 vs the NBA.

http://stag44.blogspot.com/2015/03/ncaa-division-3-per-rankings-march-2.html

D O.C.

Keandre

Great  see Nick Holden from UPS on that list at #33.

marsonhawk

That's some work Stagg44. I think it's as wide open of a tournament as we have seen in some time. The way teams like LC played down the stretch makes me think that other teams in the NWC could do some damage if given a chance.  Too bad only one team was ever coming out of the conference.  Even in a year when I think the overall talent was down, teams in this conference are so well coached, that they'd have an opportunity against teams that don't know them as well.  Headed to Georgia.  Go BUCS.

A Buc Forever

I did not get a chance to watch the game but it look like a solid win for Whitworth. On to the second round.

Pinecone_Curtain

Quote from: A Buc Forever on March 06, 2015, 07:43:32 PM
I did not get a chance to watch the game but it look like a solid win for Whitworth. On to the second round.

First half was pretty tight, but the difference was on the defensive end. Pirates held LG to only 17 second half points. Kenny Love's 3 at the end of the 1st half to tie the game at 43 was a big momentum boost into the 2nd half. Great win for the Pirates. On to the next round.

A Buc Forever

Congratulations to Coach Logie!!!!

First Division III basketball coach to win 100 games in his first four seasons. 

Amazing accomplishment. 

(509)Rat

If Whitworth plays defense like they did in the second half for about 30 min tonight they win by 8. I don't expect them to completely shut down Emory like they did Lagrange because Emory will not be so overmatched.

I still think Whitworth is the better team (by a hair). If staudacher continues to play well this team is a little better than last years squad IMO. I mean, the big loss was McConell and I think that was the big reason for the slow start as Logie played around with his lineup at the guard position. Love and Jurlina are playing much better than they did last year. Farnsworth and Valle are still filling the same roles. So when Staudacher plays more like Dustin, this team is good. The defense has been lights out for most of the season since the Whitman loss and without a Symes, Taylor, Lassisi, etc they need to create turnovers and force bad shots to go deep in the tourney.

(509)Rat

Whitworth drops a close one. Looked like they really controlled the second half until the last couple of minutes. From the box score Emory shot really well from everywhere except the free throw line. Didn't see the ending but that's a disappointing loss regardless. This wasn't a national title contending team (although apparently this year anything could happen), but still figured they were in a pod they would win despite traveling across the country. Bummer. Whitworth will retool and win the NWC again...it really is starting to get old though

Pinecone_Curtain

Tough loss for the Pirates tonight. Very similar to last season where missed free throws down the stretch killed us. I think we missed 3 straight in the closing minutes if memory serves. Credit to Emory, when Whitworth led by 12 with 8 minutes left, it looked like if Whitworth could push it to 16+ it would be over. But Emory chipped away at the lead and won. Like Rat said, WW will retool and win again next year. Can't wait to see the Pirates with Love and Jurlina a year older--plus with Staudacher and Valle back, should be another good year.

I'm interested to see how recruiting goes for WW. Hopefully they can bring in some bigs to replace Wilks and Farnsworth. Plus some more depth at forward would be nice too. Between Love/Staudacher/Isaak/Brown we are pretty set at guard next year. As always, I will be interested to see who other teams bring in as well to try and dethrone the champs.