MBB: MAC Freedom League

Started by ljk, March 14, 2005, 09:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 22, 2019, 10:59:13 AM
Quote from: jmcozenlaw on February 28, 2019, 09:27:56 AM

Thanks Oline!!! Single best post on any D3 board in 3 years? I'm blushing (let's keep the NESCAC folks away from reading it though as they would mock it, while knowing it's true, ego would get in the way ;) )

Trading during the day......................and I'd cover D3 sports (football and basketball) for Pat, FOR FREE, if he needed or wanted the help! :)
I know what you mean.  +1!

... and I agree about "hungry kids" who just want a chance. McMurry, my alma mater, is a real "first generation" school.  There are no BMW's in the student parking lot.
I am coming up on 20 years on these boards, myself.  It has been and still is fun.

Gotta have a day job, tho'.

Spot on Ralph! I'd never knock an "elite" school in any way, shape or form, but I've met so many wildly successful (by many, many, many different definitions) people from the "non-elite" schools that I was in a while have to remind those who look down on others, that it might open up some doors unavailable to some, but it does squat to keep you inside. The number of Ivy Leaguer's I've had to can over the years would blow your mind!

CCHoopster

York to the commonwealth

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

CCHoopster

Quote from: CCHoopster on March 19, 2019, 02:01:14 PM
Let's all recheck our sources because March 31st has potential to be a day where a conference votes to add York. It's not the NJAC, Cent or Landmark.

AD's will be conversing/voting to move a team from the 10 member commonwealth to the 8 member Freedom. It will be Lycoming if they chose to move a team and do so. If they do move and have two 9 team conferences, they will be looking to add a 10th team in both.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: CCHoopster on April 14, 2019, 09:40:44 AM
Quote from: CCHoopster on March 19, 2019, 02:01:14 PM
Let's all recheck our sources because March 31st has potential to be a day where a conference votes to add York. It's not the NJAC, Cent or Landmark.

AD's will be conversing/voting to move a team from the 10 member commonwealth to the 8 member Freedom. It will be Lycoming if they chose to move a team and do so. If they do move and have two 9 team conferences, they will be looking to add a 10th team in both.

I get the move of Arcadia from the Commonwealth to the Freedom to balance out the two divisions........................I have zero clue as to why the Lycoming/Eastern (or Arcadia/Eastern) flip flop was also part of it. Time to make a phone call or three. ;)

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: gordonmann on May 07, 2019, 09:07:00 PM
Here's the release:

https://arcadiaknights.com/news/2019/5/7/general-mac-announces-realignment-for-2020-21.aspx

Gordon, have you heard anything about why it wasn't just a simple move of Arcadia over to the Freedom? I'm confused by the Lycoming and Eastern flip flop. Thanks!

I'm hearing that the AEC is having no luck (so far) in trying to get at least one, if not two teams, to come over from the MAC. My guess would be two non-football schools like Arcadia (who was moving at one point early on) and Eastern. Stay tuned.

I don't think that CAC has a prayer with any of the MAC schools, although a couple have been courted (easy to guess who).

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Arcadia was going to be an original member of the AEC ... it then got convoluted at Arcadia. They changed their minds six-ways to Sunday ... and twice on Sunday. Eventually the new president decided to stay in the MAC.

If they were chasing Eastern, and they may have, I am not surprised they didn't get them. They would have been more successful if Arcadia had left for the AEC.

Give it time ... MAC always gets large and then loses a few members. I am sure it will happen again. :)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on May 13, 2019, 09:12:02 PM
Arcadia was going to be an original member of the AEC ... it then got convoluted at Arcadia. They changed their minds six-ways to Sunday ... and twice on Sunday. Eventually the new president decided to stay in the MAC.

If they were chasing Eastern, and they may have, I am not surprised they didn't get them. They would have been more successful if Arcadia had left for the AEC.

Give it time ... MAC always gets large and then loses a few members. I am sure it will happen again. :)

No doubt Dave, it will (and my eyes are still on Arcadia and Eastern..........someday).

Do you have any idea why it wasn't just left at Arcadia moving from the Commonwealth to the Freedom to balance at nine teams each.............but also included the Lycoming for Eastern flip flop? A solid contact did not want to get into it, with the exception of an eye roll (I'm not a good eye roll reader ;) )

gordonmann

My uninformed guess on the Lycoming shift is geographic proximity. Lycoming is in Pennsylvania's northern tier along with Wilkes, King's and Misericordia so it makes sense to keep them together. But I'm just guessing.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: gordonmann on May 15, 2019, 04:08:20 PM
My uninformed guess on the Lycoming shift is geographic proximity. Lycoming is in Pennsylvania's northern tier along with Wilkes, King's and Misericordia so it makes sense to keep them together. But I'm just guessing.

Gordon, I think that you are correct........................although I had two people tell me that Lycoming was actually the first domino (conference switcher to even things out) and the second domino was the flip flop of Arcadia and Eastern. In that case, the flip flop makes zero sense to me. I heard a certain school (eh hem) is getting real close to an A.D. announcement. Are you hearing the same thing (if you can comment)?

gordonmann

I have not heard that about that particular MAC school, but I'm eager to hear any announcement. :)

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I have been hearing for YEARS that Lyco was not interested in trips to Hood and such from their location and that the travel to Freedom teams was more in line with their location. Add in the fact Stevens is in the Freedom now, and Lyco going to the Freedom makes sense from the point of view of the MAC.

Furthermore, this is a bigger move to have the Freedom truly be the eastern side of the conference (and Atlantic region, for now) and the Commonwealth be the western side (and Mid-Atlantic, for now).

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: gordonmann on May 16, 2019, 12:20:09 PM
I have not heard that about that particular MAC school, but I'm eager to hear any announcement. :)

As are we........................especially if it gets you, possibly, out to the road football games once again, of said institution. ;)

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on May 16, 2019, 02:03:35 PM
I have been hearing for YEARS that Lyco was not interested in trips to Hood and such from their location and that the travel to Freedom teams was more in line with their location. Add in the fact Stevens is in the Freedom now, and Lyco going to the Freedom makes sense from the point of view of the MAC.

Furthermore, this is a bigger move to have the Freedom truly be the eastern side of the conference (and Atlantic region, for now) and the Commonwealth be the western side (and Mid-Atlantic, for now).

Spot on Dave. Your second paragraph nails it and my MAC related questions are done as a result (until the "poachers" come around and are successful in grabbing at least two of them ;) )