FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jknezek

Quote from: Scots13 on April 16, 2015, 10:29:03 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the initial reports were from an article from the school newspaper regarding a father that was upset his son didn't get some money knocked off his bill as promised by coaches and E&H was holding his diploma until he paid.

Another "if I'm not mistaken": I believe the guy ran a recruiting website and is one of those fathers who thought his son's S%^t doesn't stink. You know, the father at the ball games and practices we all want to smack the hell out of..

He (paterfamilias Dorton/Norton-- whatever the last name is) had to of known E&H was D3. I believe Justin Timberlake said it best. Cry Me A River.

All of this may be true, and it may be what is referred to here in the original link:

"A trustee, a booster and the head football coach were allowed to be involved in the financial aid packaging for two incoming football student-athletes in 2012."

but that doesn't change what else is in the original link:

"Additionally, the school considered athletics criteria when awarding nearly $80,000 in scholarships to 27 student-athletes in nine of the school's sports."

That's not one kid and one irritating father, that's pure D3 rule breaking on a pretty consistent scale.

Scots13

Quote from: jknezek on April 16, 2015, 10:48:11 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the initial reports were from an article from the school newspaper regarding a father that was upset his son didn't get some money knocked off his bill as promised by coaches and E&H was holding his diploma until he paid.

Another "if I'm not mistaken": I believe the guy ran a recruiting website and is one of those fathers who thought his son's S%^t doesn't stink. You know, the father at the ball games and practices we all want to smack the hell out of..

He (paterfamilias Dorton/Norton-- whatever the last name is) had to of known E&H was D3. I believe Justin Timberlake said it best. Cry Me A River.

All of this may be true, and it may be what is referred to here in the original link:

"A trustee, a booster and the head football coach were allowed to be involved in the financial aid packaging for two incoming football student-athletes in 2012."

"Additionally, the school considered athletics criteria when awarding nearly $80,000 in scholarships to 27 student-athletes in nine of the school's sports."

That's not one kid and one irritating father, that's pure D3 rule breaking on a pretty consistent scale.
Very true, but I imagine the father was the whistle blower.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

tigerfanalso

And at a school the has the worse athletic achievement in the odac. Football has not been good until this past year, basketball and baseball are horrible, other sports really don't matter but would bet a $1 they aren't very good either. I'd vote to kick them out of the odac and any other school that stoops to these very low levels. I guess the honor code dosen't apply outside of the classroom. Lets bring Maryville back to the odac. Only another two hours further down the road. They can help the conference in both football and basketball and maybe in some other sports I'm not aware of. I have zero tolerance for this kind of behavior and the message it sends is not a good one. Will the employees involved be fired for not following the code of conduct or will they get a hand slap ? I say the AD, coaches and all others involved need to go. Thats my two cents worth !!!

jknezek

Quote from: tigerfanalso on April 17, 2015, 12:35:10 PM
And at a school the has the worse athletic achievement in the odac. Football has not been good until this past year, basketball and baseball are horrible, other sports really don't matter but would bet a $1 they aren't very good either. I'd vote to kick them out of the odac and any other school that stoops to these very low levels. I guess the honor code dosen't apply outside of the classroom. Lets bring Maryville back to the odac. Only another two hours further down the road. They can help the conference in both football and basketball and maybe in some other sports I'm not aware of. I have zero tolerance for this kind of behavior and the message it sends is not a good one. Will the employees involved be fired for not following the code of conduct or will they get a hand slap ? I say the AD, coaches and all others involved need to go. Thats my two cents worth !!!

The coach is already gone. Not sure about anyone else

hasanova

hscathletics

Quote from: jknezek on February 28, 2015, 04:00:11 PM
Sprint football is a club sport. It is basically football with size restrictions on the players. Wikipedia has a good article on it if you have interest. It seems to be slowly growing in popularity.

[Scott Harris post]

Sprint football is a varsity sport at Penn, at least it was when I interviewed for an SID job there 6-7 years ago.

abnrgr

Quote from: Scots13 on April 16, 2015, 12:19:57 PM
Quote from: jknezek on April 16, 2015, 10:48:11 AM

Very true, but I imagine the father was the whistle blower.

This is not FSU or free shoes u. I think we are being too harsh. I know it happens at two other schools for sure. But I am not a dick and rat out somebody else. They normally get theirs in the end. BUTThe are limits. And my limits are most things are shades. Did he get some chicks, strip joint passes, and/or  a car. He may got some tuition knocked off for making a certain GPA. I think E&H is being excoriated too harshly.

So when is the first BBQ at BC?
Never shall I leave a fallen comrade

Pat Coleman

There are lots of Division III schools where financial aid officers don't know the rules. Some of them award too much financial aid to student-athletes. Those schools get caught. E&H isn't the first and won't be the last.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Scots13

E&H isn't the first and won't be the last, I agree. But the way I've read everything I don't think this is a matter of a financial aid officer having a brain fart- at least for the football team.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

jknezek

Quote from: Scots13 on April 20, 2015, 09:22:06 AM
E&H isn't the first and won't be the last, I agree. But the way I've read everything I don't think this is a matter of a financial aid officer having a brain fart- at least for the football team.

I agree here. I really see this as two separate incidents. The one with the coach and boosters is very bad. The other one is probably typical of a bunch of schools if you looked really closely. That doesn't make it right, but I have less of a problem with this statement:

That works out to less than 3K per student. While it is still a rules violation, eh...

hasanova

Just saw the Guilford 2015 football schedule .... other than venues, really only one possible change with seven ODAC games and the currently unbroken streaks with intrastate rivals Greensboro and Methodist (Guilford has played both every year since they started football) ... we host Averett after a year's hiatus to play Southern Virginia.  C'mon, live a little and play a broader mix ... in my opinion, the boys deserve a home and away with another school every four year period ... much along the lines of HSC and Wabash.

jknezek

Quote from: hasanova on April 20, 2015, 03:19:04 PM
Just saw the Guilford 2015 football schedule .... other than venues, really only one possible change with seven ODAC games and the currently unbroken streaks with intrastate rivals Greensboro and Methodist (Guilford has played both every year since they started football) ... we host Averett after a year's hiatus to play Southern Virginia.  C'mon, live a little and play a broader mix ... in my opinion, the boys deserve a home and away with another school every four year period ... much along the lines of HSC and Wabash.

Budgets my friend. It's all about budgets. Get some of those big donors to open up for athletics.

tigerfanalso

Budgets have much to do with the schedule for sure but how much would it cost Guilford to schedule CNU ? Good program and less than 5 hours away. In addition, Guilford could schedule Salisbury, Wesley, Huntingdon, W&J, Maryville or Thomas More without breaking the bank. Just need the desire to toughen the schedule. Outside of HSC, RMC and W&L it seems as if the odac shys away from tough OOC competition.  HSC has played Huntingdon, Salisbury, Wabash and CNU in recent years; RMC plays Hopkins most years and W&L entertains Centre most years and I believe those are the only three odac schools holding an odac championship since 2008. Tougher OOC competition does help the program.     

jknezek

Quote from: tigerfanalso on April 20, 2015, 03:54:54 PM
Budgets have much to do with the schedule for sure but how much would it cost Guilford to schedule CNU ? Good program and less than 5 hours away. In addition, Guilford could schedule Salisbury, Wesley, Huntingdon, W&J, Maryville or Thomas More without breaking the bank. Just need the desire to toughen the schedule. Outside of HSC, RMC and W&L it seems as if the odac shys away from tough OOC competition.  HSC has played Huntingdon, Salisbury, Wabash and CNU in recent years; RMC plays Hopkins most years and W&L entertains Centre most years and I believe those are the only three odac schools holding an odac championship since 2008. Tougher OOC competition does help the program.   

I would think Guilford's administration is pretty happy with guaranteed games against local teams. It's cheap and it does build a rivalry over time. Especially if the teams are all around the same level. If I was them, I wouldn't give up Methodist or Greensboro unless it became truly lopsided not just in streaks but in scores.

As for the last OOC, yeah Guilford and other ODAC teams could do better. When it all boils down though, the ODAC and USASC have an intertwined relationship that works really well within the D3 philosophy. Keep costs down and play your peers. Hard to argue that isn't what these conferences are doing by playing the bulk of their non-conference games against each other.

I get that it can be a bit boring, and that it may not be the best preparation for going deep in the playoffs, but only 1 team from each conference is likely to have that problem and the games aren't played for the fans in D3, they are played for the players. Not sitting on a bus forever can be a really big plus. Playing a big game can also be a big plus, but it's hard to project that out in advance.  For example, I really thought that last year W&L threw up a stinker changing out F&M for Averritt, but Averritt sure went and put that idea to bed...

wally_wabash

It's probably worth noting that Wabash making a non-conference road trip to Virginia, or anywhere very far away, is not a regular thing.  WashU is as far as Wabash has gone for a non-league game in as long as I can remember, which is about 1/3 the distance out to H-SC.  I don't know who Wabash has lined up for 2016 and beyond, but my guess is that it's going to be a little more regional than the Gentlemen's Classic series is.  I do hope that we revisit this series regularly going forward...maybe slip a home and home in every 6-8 years. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire