MBB: NEWMAC

Started by nehoops4life, March 03, 2005, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hugenerd

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Actually... Jimmy will be on in the 7pm hour! :)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Pat Coleman

Guess I misread Dave when he said, "yes - he will be on in the second half hour." :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Hugenerd

Senior night tonight at MIT, as they host Clark starting @ 6:00.  Seniors include Jimmy Bartolotta, Brad Gampel, and Will Johnson.  If anyone is making it out there tonight, please do share your thoughts.  I cant make it, although I would really like to be there (I'm alone with my daughter).  Hope the guys can turn the mini-skid around.

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Hugenerd

Wow, WPI back at #1.

Thanks Pat.

Hugenerd

MIT up 51-40 at the half.  Billy Johnson has like 24 points (not sure of the exact number).  Bartolotta has 9 points (4-6 FG), 8 rebounds, and 2 blocks.

Hugenerd

MIT up by 20 with under 8 minutes to go.  Billy Johnson has 39 points.  Looks like Jimmy Bartolotta's single game scoring record of 43 is in jeopardy.

Hugenerd

MIT wins 97-89.  Johnson ended up with 40, only the 4th player in MIT history to score 40 or more in a game.  Bartolotta had 22 points and 15 boards.  Brad Gampel had his season high in scoring with 18 points and 11 assists.

Hugenerd

Also congrats to Brad Gampel on breaking the season assist mark.  His 11 assists tonight gives him 170 on the season, breaking Danny Kanamori's old mark of 169.

Gampel is also 5 steals from tying the single season mark for steals.

Hugenerd

After tonight's action, there are only 2 teams left with winning records and 4 teams at 4-7:

WPI 10-1
MIT 8-4

Wheaton 5-6

Babson 4-7
CGA 4-7
Clark 4-7
Springfield 4-7

This is going to be a mess figuring out tiebreakers.  Clark split with all the other 4-7 teams. Babson was swept by Springfield and split with the other two. CGA split with Babson and Clark and won the first meeting with Springfield (they play at CGA on saturday). Spriingfield split with Clark, swept Babson, but lost the first meeting to CGA. 

So currently, according to the tiebreaker criteria, the record among tied teams are: Babson 2-4, CGA 3-2, Clark 3-3, Springfield 3-2.  So the current order would be CGA (leads head to head 1-0 over Springfield), Springfield, Clark, and Babson.  Wheaton controls their own destiny in terms of hosting a game. Clark is also in pretty good shape with a win.  If they beat Wheaton, and CGA wins, there will be a 3 way tie for 3rd at 5-7 (or 4 way if Babson beats WPI).  It looks like Clark would get the 3 seed because of the third tiebreaker, with the win over WPI.  I am not going to go through every scenario because there are quite a few, there may be a scenario where almost any of the bottom 5 teams can be seeded 3-7 depending on saturdays results.

BornBalla

Need some help figuring out how regional poll is determined. How is Middlebury #2 this week & UMD #6 when Middlebury lost to last weeks #8 and UMD Lost to last weeks #5 regionally ranked team? How does WPI vault from #4 to #1 and how does Elms stay at #3? I'm sure there is some "logical" explanation. Just trying to figure it out cuz it doesn't make much sense. Also, how is Brandeis even in TOP10 with that many losses?

HELP!

Hugenerd

Quote from: BornBalla on February 19, 2009, 01:40:56 PM
Need some help figuring out how regional poll is determined. How is Middlebury #2 this week & UMD #6 when Middlebury lost to last weeks #8 and UMD Lost to last weeks #5 regionally ranked team? How does WPI vault from #4 to #1 and how does Elms stay at #3? I'm sure there is some "logical" explanation. Just trying to figure it out cuz it doesn't make much sense. Also, how is Brandeis even in TOP10 with that many losses?

HELP!

WPI is a question mark for me, considering they lost at home to Elms by 16.  Middlebury dropping a spot is not unreasonable.  I dont have much of an issue with the poll, other than maybe switiching Elms and WPI.   UMD makes some sense, they lost to RIC, so RIC moved ahead of them and they dropped. Amherst did not move up because they lost to Williams and have a horrible strength of schedule. 

As for Brandeis, it seems like they have a lot of losses, but you have to consider who they are against:  They have 2 "in-region" losses to WashU who is one of the top 2 teams in the country, they have a loss to #1 NE WPI, a loss to #6 NE UMD, and #4 in the East Rochester.  They also have been pretty good in their last 19 games (14-5) after losing the first 3.  Couple that with the fact they have a 14 point win over RIC (#4 in NE), a 15 point win at Amherst (#8 in NE), two wins over CMU (#3 in the great lakes), and a win over Rochester (#4 in the East) and they have a decent resume.  They have 3 "bad" losses that will hurt them: Lasell (I know they are 17-7 but still they arent ranked in NE), Framingham State, and at Chicago.  I think they move ahead of UNE this week (they should take care of Emory and Case Western at home) and I would also put them ahead of Amherst since they beat them pretty badly at their place (especially if Amherst slips up in the NESCAC tourney).  They could potentially be ranked as high as #7 on selection Sunday if Salem State loses their tourney.  If WPI, Middlebury, RIC or UMD, and Bridgewater wins their tourney (and Elms gets the Pool B), they could be second team under consideration out of the NE on selection sunday (behind UMD or RIC).  They will also likely finish 2nd in the UAA (if they win out, CMU still has to play WashU and Rochester, Brandeis has the 3 worst teams in the conference remaining), which could help them because it is a pretty strong national conference. Dont forget that Brandeis also has extremely high OWP and OOWP numbers (.623 and .538).  In fact, Brandeis has the highest OWP in the country at 0.623 by almost a full 0.02 (which is a pretty significant amount), meaning they have played the toughest schedule in d3. It will be interesting to see what happens.

BornBalla

Hugenerd

Thanks. makes some more sense. Still can't get past some high % of losses for Brandeis or WPI jump though

Hugenerd

Brandeis does have alot of losses, but they have played a lot of really good teams.  Their OWP shows this (which is a primary NCAA selection committee), as it is the highest in the country.  The way I look at it is, if Brandeis would have played Amhert's schedule, what kind of record would they have?  I think Brandeis would probably only have 4 or 5 losses, and they showed this by beating Amherst by 15 on the road.  In my opinion, Amherst is over ranked.  Wheaton (IL) made it last year with 7 losses, Brandeis has a slight chance to be the first to make it with 8.