USA SOUTH players in the Pro's

Started by rlscosta, January 06, 2009, 03:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.G.

It is my understanding that Moreland is in extended Spring Training and will go with the short-season A club.

LTBB1971

Methodist Blake Maxwell was sent down yesterday from AA Porland Sea Dogs to Low A Lowell Spinners.  He was one of the last cuts by the Red Sox in spring training.  His current stats are:

4 G/ 2 GS / 0-0, 9.64 ERA, 9.1 INN, 16 HITS, 3 BB, 9 K's, OPP BA .364

rough start so far....

LTBB1971

With the MLB draft coming up next months, what is the possibilities of some of the USA SOUTH seniors getting drafted?  Some of the ones that come to my mind from watching them are:

3B Zollie Woodlief (NCWC) .360, 9 HR, 43 RBI, 9 doubles, .562 SLUG%
OF Luke Williford (NCWC) .345, 5 HR, 47 RBI, 43 R, 14 doubles, 29 SB
SS Trae Bailey (CNU) .404, 9 HR, 44 RBI, 55 R, 35 BB, .635 SLUG%, 2 time USA SOUTH POTY
OF/P Mike Giarrizzi (CNU) 2-3, 1.61 ERA, 1 SV, 22.1 INN, 11 H, 14 BB, 43 K, OPP .145, 16 SB
OF Brad Davis (Methodist) .407, 8 HR, 42 RBI, 34 R, 7 SB, .699 SLUG%
C Dustin Proctor (Methodist) .343, 10 HR, 39 RBI, 48 R, 14 doubles, 12 SB, .686 SLG%
P Matthew Davis (Shenandoah) 3-1, 3.00 ERA, 20 G, 3 SV, 39 INN, 31 H, 13 BB, 50 K, OPP .218
P Josh Simmons (Shenandoah) 5-0, 3.79 ERA, 9 GS, 3 CG, 57 INN, 54 H, 14 BB, 51 K, OPP .250
OF Scott Lambert (Shenandoah) .410, 1 HR, 43 RBI, 56 R, 4 3B, 25 BB, 17 SB

narch

i'm not the resident draft expert (that's catfish), but i'm not sure any of them are draftable players...bailey has the best shot, i think, because he's a pretty slick defender, has a solid arm and can hit for a little power, but i don't think he's got enough speed to be drafted - proctor might have a shot as a catcher, too...he's got a strong arm and a lot of pop and plus speed for the position, but i'm not sure and catcher is a tough position to fill...but i thought jesus adames would be drafted about 4 or 5 years ago, and he wasn't - the numbers that davis put up this year are impressive and he's a 6'2" lhp, so he might have a shot, as well...anybody who looks at the mu/su box score from 03/7/09 probably will refrain from drafting simmons, though :)

with all of these guys, nothing about their game is extraordinary when comparing them with ALL of the draft-eligible players out there, although every one of them was a fantastic division III player - i wouldn't be shocked to see a couple of them sign as f/a's or playing independent ball somewhere, though

Catfishncwc

I think the USA South will be without a drafted player this year.  Though stranger things have happened in the past.  I think we will see a few guys sign as FA's depending on teams needs after the draft to fill lower level roster spots and also those same players will have a chance to play in independent ball.   We have lot of players who either put up good numbers or have talent but what hurts the players is a lack of tools.  Players are not drafted on the ability to preform in the minors they are drafted with the potential to make the big club if they can turn those tools into a skill. 
1999 Division 3 National Baseball Champs

RSSmith

I like Matthew Davis's chances.  Lefties get a break on arm speed.  He's got good size and good pop and movement on his fastball.
A walk is never as good as a hit!

hokieone

Hot off the press-CNU's Kenny Moreland was called up to High A Frederick yesterday. Go get 'em Kenny!   :).

vabaseball

That is great news about Kenny Moreland!

Catfishncwc

Kenny goes 4.1 innings and gives up 2 earned runs.  Only gave up two hits and 1 walk.   Not bad for his 1st start of the year outside of Extended Spring Training.  Go Kenny we are all rooting for you. 

hokieone

And now Moreland is sent to Short Season Aberdeen where he was told early on he'd most likely start the season... Aberdeen opens their season this week.

Catfishncwc

Kenny was a fill for Tim Bascom a 2007 4th Rd draft pick who has promoted to Double A and they needed someone to fill a roster spot. 

hokieone

Catfish, what a crazy world-last night, Moreland started for Frederick, threw 5 shutout innings and got the win.

hokieone

Update: Moreland now at Aberdeen, threw 6 shutout innings, 47 of 68 pitches for strikes, and got the win in their home opener. His combined ERA at Frederick and Aberdeen is microscopic.

How crazy is the up and down of pitchers in the minor leagues?    Apparently he is settled at Aberdeen or so it seems for now.

Catfishncwc

vabaseball

That's a great writeup on Kenny Moreland.  Thanks for posting the link....