FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nescacman

Quote from: PBPOP20 on September 14, 2018, 03:26:07 PM
Quote from: lumbercat on September 13, 2018, 10:47:20 PM
Won't question Wells on the OL but wondering where is the the bight light from Governors??......Palmer was the best Bowdoin OL in the Bates and Colby games last year.

LC -  Thanks for the kind words.  Palmer is my boy and is likely out for the season.  He left camp after 3 days w/ chest pains.  Diagnosed w/ Myocarditis.  Full recovery to be had, but no treatment other than inactivity for 3-6 mos.   The other strong OL pick up from last year that played LG is a BB&N guy - Winschel also on IR. He'll be back by game 3 or so... he started all last year as well.

NESCACMAN wishes your son thoughts and prayers. No one wants to see players out for these types of reasons.

And while we are at it, our thoughts go out to everyone in the path of monster storm FLORENCE...

Nescacman

Rise and shine NESCACLAND!!! It's game day in New England!!! Less than 8 hours until kick-off. It's like Christmas Day...time to make the donuts, buy the charcoal, ice the beer, load the SUV...

Good luck to everyone today (except for Hartford State, of course)!!!

Nescacman

Quote from: ColbyFootball on September 14, 2018, 05:24:41 PM
Week 1 Picks:

Colby 17           Trinity 14 - upset of the century

We love you ColbyFootball, but we want some of what you are smoking!!! Friendly wager? We'll give you 21...

Nescacman

Quote from: PBPOP20 on September 14, 2018, 03:28:37 PM
....  also, the aforementioned Priore... was my lacrosse coach at Union!

And one of our correspondents father was MLax Captain at Union under Bruce Allison way back when...

ColbyFootball

Quote from: Nescacman on September 15, 2018, 05:40:53 AM
Week 1 Picks:

We love you ColbyFootball, but we want some of what you are smoking!!! Friendly wager? We'll give you 21...
That's your bold statement? "We'll give you 21".  Colby hasn't come close to beating them for decades. They have a new coach just getting settled. No time for the new coach to recruit, so he essentially has a hold over roster that I'm confident is small in number, plus Trinity is probably a lot bigger than Colby. And that's all you want to give me? 21 points. I'll take it. Trinity does not beat Colby by 21 today. Colby is a team and a coaching staff that is prepared to make a statement. "The losing mentality is over." Go Mules!!!

amh63

Nescacman....your "make the donuts" comment is quite surprising.  In the area where Dunking Donuts started.....who makes donuts these days.  Only you guys and PolarCat.  Admit I am  :'( since my wife will Not allow donuts.

ColbyFootball

Week 1 Picks:

What was I thinking? The head needs to stop following the heart.

polbear73

ColbyFootball: I've been suffering from that affliction for years. It only gets worse.

frank uible

Send in the clowns! Where are the clowns? Well, maybe next year.

nescac1

Obviously, a very encouraging first game for Williams, and a discouraging one for Bowdoin.  The gap between these two teams is certainly wider than it was game one last year.  The Ephs' first-team offense was unstoppable.  Maimaron seems improved, even more poised and in command than he was last season.  TJ Dozier looks ready to be one of the premier backs in NESCAC this season; the only concern is keeping him healthy and fresh as he played nearly every down at TB it seemed until the subs came in once the game is out of hand.  TB depth is a major concern for Williams this year.  Big TE Justin Burke looks like he will be more of a weapon this season, but Frank Stolla continues to be Maimaron's go-to man.  Williams played its second team for most of the second half, including two frosh QBs.  Bischoping (despite one bad throw for an INT) looks promising, pretty big arm and nice touch, and he will have the luxury of developing behind Maimaron.  The only negative on offense was massive, impressive-looking frosh WR Will Loffredo, who made a few nice plays in limited action, suffering what looked like a serious leg injury. 

For Williams, on defense, the undersized defensive front held up fairly well but it's hard to say if that will continue vs. better opponents.  As expected, the Ephs' deep, fast and talented LB core led the way in bottling up Bowdoin's offense.  The Ephs gave PT to five frosh in the front seven as the game progressed, several look quite talented, and they may provide some needed depth as they mature.  Bowdoin's only significant offensive weapon seems to be Nate Richam.  He is one of the better backs in NESCAC, but the P'Bears need to find another big-time playmaker or two. 

One other note, Williams frosh K/P Schreibstein looked VERY impressive: 2/2 on fgs and 5/5 on xps, plus a very nice 38 yard punting average.  He apparently beat out last year's solid frosh kicker.  He could be a major factor on special teams as he matures as a player. 

Based on results around the league, it's pretty clear that once again the Maine teams and Hamilton are well behind the rest of the league.  Hard to say how the rest of the league stacks up, though Wesleyan's easy win over Midd is certainly eye-opening. 

PolarCat

Quote from: nescac1 on September 15, 2018, 03:58:38 PM
Based on results around the league, it's pretty clear that once again the Maine teams and Hamilton are well behind the rest of the league.  Hard to say how the rest of the league stacks up, though Wesleyan's easy win over Midd is certainly eye-opening.

Call me a cock-eyed optimist, but I'd say Bates holding the Lord Mammoths to a scoreless tie in the first half was pretty eye-opening.  Yesterday, I was worried Nescacman was being overly optimistic when he picked Bates to repeat (yet again) as CBB champ.  But after today?  Unless the Woolly Bullies are a worse team than we all expected, Coach Hall's gonna win some games this year.  5-4 doesn't seem out of reach.

NBC93

Bates defense played well but Amherst sloppily turned the ball over twice in the red zone. Could have been 10-0 before half. On offense Bates had a hard time moving the ball. Once Amherst figured it out in the second half they move the ball fairly easily.

nescac1

Yeah, the Amherst-Bates stat that sticks out is six fumbles, three lost, by Amherst.  If you benefit from that, which is generally sort of flukey (although perhaps the Bates D forced some, having not seen the game I've no idea), and still lose by 12 at home, hard to get too excited.  But certainly Bates has to feel better right now than Colby or Bowdoin ...