Around the Nation board

Started by Pat Coleman, September 22, 2005, 03:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PA_wesleyfan

Kmack and  his 2 cub reporters at the Wesley game yesterday!
Football !!! The ultimate team sport. Anyone who plays DIII football is a winner...

DBQ1965

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 30, 2011, 11:19:30 PM
It is up to who offers to host a game but almost everyone files to host a game. I hope Dubuque did, because you never know how the bracket will look.

Higher seeds host. In the West there is often a little finagling of the first-round matchups because of geography.

I also hope UD filed to host a playoff game.  That would be worth the drive.
Reality is for those who lack imagination 😀

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

Anyone know when the first Regional Rankings come out?
National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Kira & Jaxon's Dad on October 31, 2011, 12:52:03 PM
Anyone know when the first Regional Rankings come out?
November 2nd.   :)

K-Mack

Was looking back at ATN from this week last year for something else and found this ... relevant to the discussion from a few pages back.

http://www.d3football.com/columns/around-the-nation/2010/picking-the-top-seeds

I didn't remember how in-depth I went with the East region fans and committee members asking how & why the choose the No. 1 seeds the way they do, but it might be good reading.

Lots of great points made all around, I won't belabor them. Suffice it to say, for football, the in-region focus is odd. But personally, I would still rather have them attempt to competitively balance the bracket within the available parameters than play four separate regional tournaments.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

USee

Knack,

What's up with you basically not having Wheaton in your top 25 all year? I know you aren't biased because I have seen you rank them higher in the past. Whatbis everyone missing tha you see?

K-Mack

Quote from: USee on November 02, 2011, 09:15:41 PM
Knack,

What's up with you basically not having Wheaton in your top 25 all year? I know you aren't biased because I have seen you rank them higher in the past. Whatbis everyone missing tha you see?

Knack ... that's got a ring to it.

I had Wheaton ranked until the IWU loss and moved them back in this week. But yeah, in the interim, the resume just wasn't that impressive. Two of the wins were Olivet and North Park, and they'd lost one of their two games against good teams. (UW-P being the other).

The Albion win looks a lot better after Saturday, and Carthage is 5-3. At this point, they've been consistent enough against enough challenging teams to be ranked.

I still think they have no business being ranked ahead of IWU, but I wouldn't be surprised if they beat North Central this weekend. Sorry it's not a more nuanced analysis, like 'I don't think they can run the ball this year' or something, but that's what it was.

Also at about the Week 5 and 6 point there are still a lot of mirages. By Week 9 teams have usually pretty clearly defined who they are.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

USee

Sorry, iPad typo. It does have a ring to it. I get why you wouldn have them in the top 15 but out of the top 25 made no sense compared to man of the other choices. No worries. If they beat NCC this weekend, do you rank them ahead of IWU?

K-Mack

Quote from: USee on November 02, 2011, 11:15:22 PM
Sorry, iPad typo. It does have a ring to it. I get why you wouldn have them in the top 15 but out of the top 25 made no sense compared to man of the other choices. No worries. If they beat NCC this weekend, do you rank them ahead of IWU?

No, but I'd rank them ahead of NCC. And would rank NCC ahead of IWU. Hey wait, these darn triangles ...

I'd have to take a closer look, and it would depend on Saturdays outcomes. I can't really predetermine. My guess is none of the three would be as high as the top CCIW team normally is.

I tend to go with h2h results until I can't anymore. Right now Kean and Widener have the biggest outlier Ls, but the top-25 h2h results mostly match up.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

smedindy

That's why I don't really factor H2H in that much as the entire body of work, because of those darn triangles. Or even worse, if it becomes a rhombus...

USee

those darn Rhombus'. I hate it when that happens.

K-Mack

Quote from: smedindy on November 03, 2011, 12:33:36 AM
That's why I don't really factor H2H in that much as the entire body of work, because of those darn triangles. Or even worse, if it becomes a rhombus...

Ignoring h2h in a ranking designed to reveal which team is better than which is not seeing the forest for the trees, IMO.

But yes, the entire body of work is always important. It just better be a darn sexy body for us to ignore an h2h meeting.

(we can talk about Brockport/Kean here, but I kind of like that one liner and would like to leave it at that)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

smedindy

North Central's work after Redlands is definitely in the Maggie Gyllenhaall category!

JT

Hey Keith,

I always dig your take from year-to-year on DIII seniors and the LAST game.  Great job.  I wasn't good enough for college ball, but every time I read your last game articles, I remember the last time I took off the pads.  I remember the smells.  I remember the sounds. I remember the young faces of teammates. I remember going out with a win.  And there's a shoe box with old receiver gloves that still fit.

Good times.

HSCTiger74

Quote from: smedindy on November 04, 2011, 10:11:22 AM
North Central's work after Redlands is definitely in the Maggie Gyllenhaall category!

Maybe even Heather Graham.  ;)
TANSTAAFL