BB: General NY Region Talk

Started by Bob Maxwell, October 18, 2007, 02:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will represent the New York Region in the Division III Baseball World Series?

SUNY Cortland
7 (43.8%)
Ithaca
0 (0%)
Stevens
1 (6.3%)
Rochester
2 (12.5%)
Non-Region Team
6 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

John McGraw

Yeah, there certainly will be a bit of an issue with the league in terms of baseball once RIT leaves to join the Liberty League and you end up with Ithaca, St. John Fisher, Stevens and Utica in a four-team loop. The Empire 8 on a whole is still fairly set because the non-baseball schools (Alfred, Elmira, Hartwick, Nazareth) compete in almost every other sport.

In football, the league will be getting associate members from other leagues in the coming years - Salisbury, Frostburg and Buffalo State so the football automatic qualifier will remain intact. That said, there are more football playing schools than baseball. I think field hockey is the only other sport where the league has an associate member and that is Washington and Jefferson, normally a member of the Presidents Athletic Conference.

What will the answer be? I don't know. Given the sparse number of Pool B bids, it wouldn't shock me to see the league try to grab some affiliate members. Who that would be I really don't know.

As for Ithaca, I think the Bombers will have their hands full with St. John Fisher this year. That said, Wrong Arm is correct in that Fisher still needs to take care of business against RIT, Stevens and Utica because if you beat Ithaca but can't put the other teams away, you won't win it all. But, Fisher has the offense to do some legitimate damage while I think Ithaca's offense will have a problem scoring runs at least at the start of the season but the Bombers pitching should be the best in the league.

AlleyCat

Ithaca will always be the team to beat in the E8 until they decide to get into a baseball conference. That may be closer than we think with the Pool B bids going down each year. This may make it tougher for the Bombers to have a bye into the regionals. St John Fisher has been getting better each year and it looks like they will hit the ball pretty well this year.  Coach Val will always have his team ready to compete and they always know how to pitch. At what point does the E8 not exist(in baseball) after RIT leaves for the LL.  I think this may be the year that someone else comes out of the E8, but I would not stake my life on it. Who knows, maybe no one from the E8 goes.  I think both the SUNYAC and the LL could produce 2 teams each this year.

Just my thoughts.....

BaseB13

While Ithaca is still the team to beat I think SJFC has a very talented squad, especially on the offensive side.  Some solid new players have come in this year.  Not sure how deep their arms are but I think they should have a solid year.  IC will be good as usual also.

AlleyCat

Its time to start talking about NY baseball. Looks like we have some teams that are playing well right now. Although some have played a pretty weak schedule, you still have to win the games on the field.

Oneonta 11-0
Plattsburgh 13-1
RPI 8-2
Cortland 9-5
New Paltz 7-1
Skidmore 7-3
Rochester 6-2
St Jhon Fisher 7-4
St Lawrence 6-2

From the looks of it Cortland and RPI have played the toughest schedules coming out of it pretty well. Oneonta needs to start playing of the big dogs especially when you have Filak throwing in the 90's. Plattsburgh is off to a nice start while playing a pretty weak schedule. Skidmore pushed #2 Wooster to extras before falling 3-1. 
This could be a very interesting year.

Just my thoughts.....

Hot Rod Runnin

Doesanyone know when the initial Regional Rankings are going to be announced?
Any predictions to what they might look like?

Rod

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Hot Rod Runnin on April 12, 2010, 09:49:49 PM
Doesanyone know when the initial Regional Rankings are going to be announced?
Any predictions to what they might look like?

Rod
April 29th.   :)

Hobbesy

Hello from New England,

Just trying to figure out possible scenarios for Pool C bids possibly being shipped out of New England or out of New York.

I dont think New York will send a team to New England but it is highly likely that a N.E. team will be headed to Auburn in May.

As for at-large bids,  who do you guys think have a good shot at one? 

If Rochester does not win LL then they probably will get one but does Plattsburgh and Oneonta have a chance at obtaining a Pool C?

And do you think St. John Fisher has done enough to earn a Pool B bid out of the E8?

Thanks!

DefenseWins

no way plattsburgh or oneaonta gets an at large, they played a cake schedule. I would say depending on the LL champion the only teams worthy of an at large are either UR or Skidmore or Fisher

wordsmith

Quote from: DefenseWins on April 28, 2010, 01:16:04 PM
no way plattsburgh or oneaonta gets an at large, they played a cake schedule. I would say depending on the LL champion the only teams worthy of an at large are either UR or Skidmore or Fisher

DefenseWins,

I did a quick study on SOS for the top NY teams....I believe you may have under estimated how easy the schedules of Oneonta and Plattsburg are. According to the posted SOS on D3 Plattsburg has the 12th toughest schedule in all of D3 baseball and Oneonta the 39th. Please see below. You see it is my contention, over on the NE Board, that NY teams are stronger this year than the traditional NE teams; and that if a couple of scenarios took place we could see a NY team get shipped East.

CUNYC - Staten Island - 335

E8 - St. John's Fisher - 80

LL- Rochester - 144, Skidmore - 115

SUNYAC - Cortland 60 (also ranked #12 National Poll), Plattsburgh 12 (ranked #34 National Poll), Oneonta 39 (ranked #40 National Poll)

SKY - Farmingdale - 132

The SUNYAC is the one of most interest to me. Three Nationally Ranked teams all with SOS of 60 or better! hmmm

Word
Word

John McGraw

Quote from: Hobbesy on April 28, 2010, 11:41:58 AM
Hello from New England,

Just trying to figure out possible scenarios for Pool C bids possibly being shipped out of New England or out of New York.

I dont think New York will send a team to New England but it is highly likely that a N.E. team will be headed to Auburn in May.

As for at-large bids,  who do you guys think have a good shot at one?  

If Rochester does not win LL then they probably will get one but does Plattsburgh and Oneonta have a chance at obtaining a Pool C?

And do you think St. John Fisher has done enough to earn a Pool B bid out of the E8?

Thanks!

Shouldn't you be getting ready to go to Orleans? ;)

I don't think you'll have to worry about anyone being shipped out of the New York region. It simply hasn't happened. This is mostly because of the region's relative strength and the fact that both the Mid-Atlantic and New England regions have so many more teams and possibilities for Pool C selections. If anything, clubs from those regions and possibly the very strong Mideast will be sent to the Auburn regional.

In terms of a Pool C bid, I think there are only a handful of possibilities. Cortland, should it not win the YAC tournament would be a lock. That said, the Dragons have only come out of the league as an at-large twice, 1996 and 2004. Those are the only two instances where two SUNYAC teams made it into the tournament - because Cortland was upset in both cases. It could happen but if it doesn't, Oneonta and Plattsburgh won't get in. We've had the discussion in another thread about the schedule of both teams and while the SOS numbers say one thing, reality says another. I don't think you can compare for example Cortland and Plattsburgh's schedules. However, you can only win the games you're scheduled in so we won't get into that debate again.

The Liberty League is the best chance for a Pool C and I'd think they'll get two clubs in - Rochester and other. UR has pretty much sewn up an at-large bid at this point and would pretty much have to have a meltdown to not make it. That said, their poor history in the conference tournament leads me to believe that someone else will grab the automatic qualifier and Rochester will grab the at-large. Who this will be, well, who knows - one of three other teams that make the tournament, possibly Clarkson, Skidmore, SLU or maybe RPI (who could miss the league mixer entirely). But, chances are the LL gets two teams in for the third time since 2006.

Pool B, eh, I really don't know. Fisher is probably the best chance for one though Ithaca is mathematically eligible. It will probably come down to the May 5th doubleheader in Pittsford. Though, if Fisher wins out up until then, it may not matter since they'll have a solid regional record. Hats off to Brandon Potter for the great job he has done as an interim head coach and hopefully he'll get the interim removed after the season.

airball55

Well said John.  Rochester gets thumped today 10-2 by St. John Fisher now dropping four of five.  They travel north to Clarkson where they traditionally don't have a lot of success.  With their history in the post season, I wonder though how much of a "lock" they may be.  They are 20-6 in region with a nice sweep of RPI in their favor.  Outside of that, not a lot of great in region wins on their schedule.  Should be a good finish.

Hobbesy

Oh I am getting ready John...

But didnt LL get two teams last year with Clarkson and RPI??

Cortland will always be a lock in the regional unless something terrible goes wrong.  It just doesnt appear anyone can beat them when it counts in the conference. 

But Oneonta may have the equalizer in Filak.  He already beat them once and could cause some problems in the tournament. 

As for RPI, they were suppose to be one of the best teams in the region.  If they can get in the LL tournament, you gotta believe they have a chance to win.

John McGraw

Quote from: Hobbesy on April 28, 2010, 07:31:52 PM
Oh I am getting ready John...

But didnt LL get two teams last year with Clarkson and RPI??

Cortland will always be a lock in the regional unless something terrible goes wrong.  It just doesnt appear anyone can beat them when it counts in the conference. 

But Oneonta may have the equalizer in Filak.  He already beat them once and could cause some problems in the tournament. 

As for RPI, they were suppose to be one of the best teams in the region.  If they can get in the LL tournament, you gotta believe they have a chance to win.

Woops, forgot about last year. The Liberty is similar to the SUNYAC in that if the favorite loses, chances are they are going to get an at large. Though that has been RPI in the past and not Rochester.

RPI lost a decent amount from last year but looked to be OK however they lost Nic Marchese,an all-league outfielder, right before the season and they haven't really gotten on track this year. But, you're right, if they make the tournament, they'll be in the hunt.

John McGraw

New York Region Rankings - http://www.ncaa.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/042910aaa.html

1. Cortland State  22-3-1 (27-7-1 overall)
2. Skidmore 17-6 (22-8 overall)
3. Plattsburgh State 18-7 (28-8 overall)
4. Rochester 25-7 (26-9 overall)
5. St. John Fisher 20-10 (21-10 overall)
6. CSI 24-9 (26-9 overall)

Discuss. BTW, kind of strange to see Fisher with only one non-region game on the entire schedule but that's how it works out.

Biggest surprise for me is Plattsburgh at number three and Rochester over SJF given the fact that the Cardinals have beaten UR in both head-to-head meetings.

airball55

John, Beloit, Scranton, Thiel, etc.... they have all moved to New York State!!  I really don't know how they count as region games, maybe you can enlighten me on that. 

I would have went this way;

1. Cortland
2  St. John Fisher
3. Skidmore
4. Rochester
5. Plattsburgh

Then on down the line.  Oneonta would be in the mix with wins over Cortland and St. John Fisher.  You can really throw those 4 teams in a hat right now after Cortland.  I don't like Plattsburghs non-conference schedule wins (they can't help it, I know) and they have been getting smacked around a bit mid-week (see Clarkson and Castleton St.).  Skidmore ahead of Rochester on weekend series win only, I still think Rochester is a little bit better then Skidmore though.  St. John Fisher is 14-3 in last 17, btw, their greatest margin of defeat is only 2 runs!!!  8 of 11 loses by one run.  Nice sleeper pick a bit to come out of NY if they get in.