BB: General NY Region Talk

Started by Bob Maxwell, October 18, 2007, 02:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will represent the New York Region in the Division III Baseball World Series?

SUNY Cortland
7 (43.8%)
Ithaca
0 (0%)
Stevens
1 (6.3%)
Rochester
2 (12.5%)
Non-Region Team
6 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Big Louie on March 05, 2013, 10:11:03 AM
Ranking the NY Region Top 10 from (February 23-March 4)

1.) Ithaca (4-0)
Impressive win over national power Eastern Conn. Took care of business against weaker opponents
2.) Cortland State (5-1)
Only loss to nationally ranked #6 Salisbury. Handled four NY regional opponents
3.) St John Fisher (3-1)
Only loss to nationally ranked Aurora
4.) Brockport State (2-0)
Defeated nationally ranked Kean. Edged Baruch for other win
5.) Stevens (3-1)
Played Eastern Conn tough; picked up three easy wins against weaker schedule
6.) Oswego State (2-1)
split with Rutgers Camden; comeback win against TCNJ
7.) RIT (4-2)
offense carried them to a 4-2 spring trip, however relatively weak schedule. notable win against preseason ranked Farmingdale
8.) Old Westbury (3-3)
Skyline favorite off to .500 start with tough early season schedule
Thanks, Big Louie.  I appreciate your input.  Keep them coming.

John McGraw

Quote from: rob on March 10, 2013, 10:21:14 AM
So the rest of the NY Regional Previews are out...
good job, some good assessments for the most part.

Computer died while in the midst of writing. What's your take on the region?

rob

Quote from: John McGraw on March 11, 2013, 01:58:24 AM
Quote from: rob on March 10, 2013, 10:21:14 AM
So the rest of the NY Regional Previews are out...
good job, some good assessments for the most part.

Computer died while in the midst of writing. What's your take on the region?
The New York Region just seems to get better and more competitve every year.
Farmingdale is off to a slow start but I won't count them out, they seem to do this every season and then finish strong.  Brockport is always a tough competitor and will again challenge Cortland in the SUNYAC and will likely be in the Regional.  New Paltz may have turned the corner that I thought they were going to turn last year, but they will need to upgrade their pitching after this year. St. John Fisher has proven they can win but I think pitching may be an issue this year.  Skidmore may be the 2nd or 3rd best team in the region by the end of the season, very good sophomore pitchers.  RIT is playing some good baseball in the early goings.  Cortland is by far the team to beat as usual, they just seem to retool and rebuild every year.  Every class on that team is effective and the Freshmen this year look especially strong, may be even harder to overtake in the next few years which is somewhat scary for the rest of the region.  It would be nice to have a national champ from NY again.  It's been awhile.

airball55

Tier 1- Cortland, until someone knocks them off, no one else is here
Tier 2- Fisher, Brockport, Ithaca..I still give Fisher the edge in the Empire 8, Brockport keeps rolling along
Tier 3- St. lawrence, RPI, Skidmore, Clarkson, Oneonta, Oswego, Stevens, Farmingdale, Old Westbury.. Someone in the LL could jump into tier 2..surprised St. Lawrence got shut out back to back against Gettysburg. 

Just my thoughts, region looks good, could see a few more at large's this year.

AlleyCat

Updates since some of the teams have played more?????

airball55

Not much to report for changes.  Cortland has dropped a couple but their schedule is so good it is inevitable.  RPI had a nice end of trip.  Farmingdale has played a very good schedule.  The region looks very competitive outside NY as well.

rob

Does anyone know if the NY Regional site has been announced yet?  Or if it has unofficially been leaked?

OshDude

Quote from: rob on March 23, 2013, 10:54:39 AM
Does anyone know if the NY Regional site has been announced yet?  Or if it has unofficially been leaked?
It was in an Around the Nation column weeks ago: Ithaca.

rob

Quote from: Ricky Nelson on March 23, 2013, 01:13:33 PM
OK, thanks

John McGraw

Quote from: rob on March 23, 2013, 04:37:16 PM
OK, thanks

Ithaca likely hosting at Falcon Park in Auburn. No surprise there, that has pretty much been the home of the New York regional since RPI stopped hosting in Troy/Albany.

rob

Quote from: John McGraw on March 24, 2013, 01:04:46 AM
Quote from: rob on March 23, 2013, 04:37:16 PM
OK, thanks
Is there any chance Ithaca will host at Cornell?

Ithaca likely hosting at Falcon Park in Auburn. No surprise there, that has pretty much been the home of the New York regional since RPI stopped hosting in Troy/Albany.

John McGraw

No because Cornell doesn't have lights.

rob

John McGraw

My take on the region's top five heading into the first few games of the 2014 season.

T-1) Cortland State
T-1) Ithaca
3) St. John Fisher
4) Rensselaer
5) Farmingdale State

The top spot is pretty much a wash but I believe Cortland and Ithaca are most definitely the best teams. Both have major individual losses to replace from graduations but each should reload.

All five I believe will be NCAA tournament teams. Fisher will again likely end up playing out of the region as it is geographically speaking, the western-most team among the top squads. I could see Fisher again heading to a regional in Ohio.

airball55

This should be very close.  I can't see anyone getting Cortland in the Yac.  I could see Fisher over Ithaca, they return all their arms and get the four game series at home.  No clue on the Liberty League...Union, CU, St. Law. all could threaten RPI.