BB: NCAC: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by woosterbooster, December 29, 2005, 03:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bishopleftiesdad

Dr. Acula

Quote from: countyroad on October 04, 2012, 11:27:46 AM
Here's a write up on Wooster's new turf infield.

http://www.woosterathletics.com/sports/bsb/2012-13/releases/201209243kztbd

Very cool.  This may be a dumb question, but everyone including OF would have to wear turf shoes, correct?

p.s. I couldn't help but read the part about faster, truer hops in the infield and think of some of the Woo guys on here thinking something like "That sounds like bad news AND good news for us!"  Haha.   

Bishopleftiesdad

I believe the outfield is Grass. OWU regularly plays on a synthetic field in CHilicothe and they use their regular spikes. I cannot imagine telling your opponents, Yeah when you come to play here make sure you bring turf shoes.

Well this is Pettorini we are talking about so maybe so. ;D (just kidding, he is a great coach and has done a lot for NCAC baseball.)

Dr. Acula

See, it WAS a dumb question.  I guess I'm showing my age a little bit huh?  When I played 10 years ago not only didn't we wear spikes on turf you didn't want to because it probably would have resulted in 2 ACL tears!  The new stuff is much more grass-like it seems.

motorman

Dr. Acula,

Not such a dumb question. My son played in All Pro Freight stadium a few seasons ago, and his team was told absolutely no spikes of any kind. Pitchers were permitted to wear spikes if they were only pitching, if they were batting had to wear turfs. I believe some OHSAA baseball regionals were supposed to be held there his senior year, but had to be moved at the last minute because of the shoe restrictions. He also played in Chillicothe this past summer and there were no shoe restrictions. To make matters even more confusing, one fall his fall team played a series at Huntington Park, which is natural grass, and were told no metal spikes, plastic or turf only. That could have been because it was the off season, and they didn't want to tear up the turf before the bad weather set in. I guess it just depends on how picky your groundskeeper is.

Bishopleftiesdad

OWU releases spring schedule:

http://www.battlingbishops.com/schedule.aspx?path=baseball

Looks pretty good. I would have liked to see Marietta on the schedule to add to owp. They usually play. It must not have worked out this year.

End of regular season has cross over games with the east. As per a friend:

It will be a 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3 matchup from the divisions respectively. 5 and 5 will play each other. It will be a 3 game series and the winners of those series will advance to the conference tourney so you could have all 4 from the west or east.

Mainly it was put into place by the west coaches so it would be more "fair".

Bishopleftiesdad

Wabash schedule out as well:

http://sports.wabash.edu/schedule.aspx?path=baseball

Looks like they are going to be playing some SAA teams in the spring, Oglethorp, Centre and USA South LaGrange. They also have Div 1 Butler on their schedule again.

Bishopleftiesdad

Depauw schedule out.

http://www.depauw.edu/athletics/mens/baseball/schedule/

They play Marietta twice early. That should help their OWP. They play quite a few HCAC schools.

Bishopleftiesdad

Thats it for the west. Witt and Denison have noy released their 2013 schedules yet.

Bishopleftiesdad

Now on to the East.

Wooster: Has not released there 2012 schedule on the athletics website.

Kenyon: They also have not released there schedule. They do have a new athletics website and it is much improved over the old site.

Hiram: http://www.hiramterriers.com/sports/bsb/2012-13/schedule
Not sure if or were they go for spring, it is not listed on there schedule. They open with a PAC team Thiel. Usually Thiel is not one of the stronger PAC teams. Then they play an improved JC team before 4 against one of the Pitt branches branches, Greensburg. Out of conference but in region they also play BW and MU of the OAC. BW improved quite a bit last year and D'youville of the PAC.

Allegheny: http://alleghenygators.com/schedule.aspx?path=baseball
They go to Winterhaven between the 3/ and 3/23 probaly playing itn the Russmatt touney. Their out of Conference opponents include Thiel (see Hiram above), Salem Intenational (I know nothing of this team.), Keuka, There is no other way to say this but they are a bad team. I know a young man who plays on the team and he even admits they are bad. I know the coach is trying to improve recruiting by going outside NY but it will take a while. They also play the usual teams in there area Penn st. Behrend and Pitt Geensburg. These are the type of teams Witt feasted on in the early schedule last year. They do finish off with a usually strong Grove City in the PAC.

Oberlin: http://www.goyeo.com/schedule.aspx?path=baseball&
They will be playing in the Tucson Invitational Games against some good competition:
Carleton College (MN)    
Williams College (MA)
Gustavus Adolphus College (MN)    
California Lutheran University
Carthage College (WI)    
Hamline University (MN)
Pomona-Pitzer College (CA)
Buena Vista University (IA)
Luther College (IA)    
Oberlin College (OH)    
Middlebury College (VT)    
St. John's University (MN)    
Lewis & Clark College (OR)
From the OAC they play BW and ONU, both of these should be improved over last year.  From The AMCC they play D'Youville, a NAIA team Sienna Hieghts, and a middle of the pack bluffton team from the HCAC

Bishopleftiesdad

Can anybody explain what has happened to Hiram?
When they joined the conference in 2000 they were a consistently at least middle of the pack team sometimes and raising as far as number 3 in 2005. But since 2007 they have been a bottom feeder. The HC has been there for 21 years. They have had as many as 27 wins in a season. Has the schools stopped supporting baseball? Looking at the field it looks like the Outfield fence is that orange snow fencing you see along Highways and open fields in the winter.

motorman

Leftiesdad,

Just had to comment on your opinion of Keuka on Allegheny's schedule. I knew someone on the Keuka team who started last year as a freshman. Actually he was from Dr. Acula's alma mater, Uniontown Lake (which is essentially in Hartville). Transferred back closer to home this year. I think Keuka started the season 2-3, both wins coming against Lancaster Bible College. They lost 21 in a row after that to end at 2-24. Their trip to Lancaster PA was their spring trip. I think the biggest indictment against the program is the number of games played. I don't think they have played 30 games in the last few years. If you are serious about the game, you play all 40 games you can.

Bishopleftiesdad

Motorman,
Exactly I know the weather up there is bad for baseball and recruiting is tough in New York for the private schools with all the SUNY and other state teams to compete with. In most cases there is no way a school like Kueka can compete for NY recruits.

The coach is traveling more for recruits, but any kid who has internet access, can see how few games they play and also that it doesn't look  looks like they try very hard to make up rainouts. If I was looking to play baseball there I would have to have second thoughts on playing there. Most coaches don't last more than 5 years and most last shorter than that.

The kid, suppose he is really a man now, I know who went there father told me that they have been historically bad, but the new coach had support from the school. He was going to recruit kids from the midwest and Ohio, etc, etc and etc, they were going to start to win....

He told me that they told his son he would be the starting 3rd baseman his freshman year. I warned him to take that with a grain of salt and hope he had a chance to compete for third base. Well the kid started at first most the year and did pretty well. But the team was still terrible.

Last season was only the coaches second year and first recruiting class. So we will see, but I hope the kid really loves that school.

Dr. Acula

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on October 16, 2012, 12:39:50 PM
Can anybody explain what has happened to Hiram?
When they joined the conference in 2000 they were a consistently at least middle of the pack team sometimes and raising as far as number 3 in 2005. But since 2007 they have been a bottom feeder. The HC has been there for 21 years. They have had as many as 27 wins in a season. Has the schools stopped supporting baseball? Looking at the field it looks like the Outfield fence is that orange snow fencing you see along Highways and open fields in the winter.

Hiram's field is (was?) really bad.  That orange fence is literally like a snow fence.  Orange, plastic and you can run through it.  I never played on a field that bad in HS, let alone college.  Hiram always seemed to have a couple kids that could really hit, even when they're bad.  Like most teams at the bottom they lack pitching usually.  Jenter has been there forever.  I believe he's a Hiram alum as well.  He's a lifer.  And in all honesty, with that field and a school located in rural Portage County I think any time they're even middle of the pack is a helluva coaching job by him.  The only question I would have is whether there's any sense of urgency considering he's basically got a job for life regardless of results.