MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoya73

Great news for Amherst assistant Kevin Hopkins as he has been named head coach at Muhlenberg.  Kevin's opportunity is well-deserved and he gets to advance his career at a great school.  He will do well.  The Hixon tree is thriving, but Amherst will miss him.

P'bearfan

Quote from: hoya73 on April 07, 2017, 04:03:35 PM
Great news for Amherst assistant Kevin Hopkins as he has been named head coach at Muhlenberg.  Kevin's opportunity is well-deserved and he gets to advance his career at a great school.  He will do well.  The Hixon tree is thriving, but Amherst will miss him.

Congrats to Coach Hopkins and best of luck in his new position! 

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Cards Fan on April 07, 2017, 09:35:42 AM
Quote from: magicman on April 07, 2017, 08:10:22 AM
Don't know if you guys remember the incident in February on the 18th when a player from Daniel Webster,  Marquise Caudill, punched a player from Southern Vermont and then stomped on him when he was lying on the floor. (Here's a link to the story:  http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2017/02/daniel-webster-program-goes-down-with-fight )

Just on my local news, since Southern Vermont is in our viewing area, that yesterday, Caudill was in court and he was sentenced to 1 year in jail. I think it was the fact that he kicked the player when he was on the floor that brought the jail sentence. Lots of thrown punches in basketball games that never resulted in jail time. Kicking a guy when he's down brings a different element into the equation.

Sad that you go to college and end up in jail because you can't control yourself in a sporting event. I'm sure that kid will be kicking himself in the head as he spends the next year behind bars, wondering why he did such a stupid thing. :P
Kind of a harsh sentence.. Seems like fights break out in basketball plenty and don't get any jail time. I think a kick on the ground shouldn't make a year. Just remember when Metta World Peace got into a fight with a FAN during a game. He was simply suspended.

If I recall, he was also charged with inciting a riot, since he was encouraging his fans to attack the SVC players and coaches.  He also threatened the off-duty police officer who tried to arrest him.

Also, his one year is a suspended sentence, so he'll only have served the 17 days he was already imprisoned.

http://www.wcax.com/story/35086903/plea-agreement-accepted-for-hoops-player-charged-in-melee
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

amh63

hoya73...thanks for the info!  Plus K.  Another member of the National Title of '07 to become a HC. Your son's teammate.  Remember his loyal parents at games...driving in from the Skidmore/racetrack area.  Congrats!

magicman

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on April 08, 2017, 08:16:57 AM
Don't know if you guys remember the incident in February on the 18th when a player from Daniel Webster,  Marquise Caudill, punched a player from Southern Vermont and then stomped on him when he was lying on the floor. (Here's a link to the story:  http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2017/02/daniel-webster-program-goes-down-with-fight )

Just on my local news, since Southern Vermont is in our viewing area, that yesterday, Caudill was in court and he was sentenced to 1 year in jail. I think it was the fact that he kicked the player when he was on the floor that brought the jail sentence. Lots of thrown punches in basketball games that never resulted in jail time. Kicking a guy when he's down brings a different element into the equation.

Sad that you go to college and end up in jail because you can't control yourself in a sporting event. I'm sure that kid will be kicking himself in the head as he spends the next year behind bars, wondering why he did such a stupid thing. :P
Kind of a harsh sentence.. Seems like fights break out in basketball plenty and don't get any jail time. I think a kick on the ground shouldn't make a year. Just remember when Metta World Peace got into a fight with a FAN during a game. He was simply suspended.

If I recall, he was also charged with inciting a riot, since he was encouraging his fans to attack the SVC players and coaches.  He also threatened the off-duty police officer who tried to arrest him.

Also, his one year is a suspended sentence, so he'll only have served the 17 days he was already imprisoned.

http://www.wcax.com/story/35086903/plea-agreement-accepted-for-hoops-player-charged-in-melee

Thanks for the update Ryan.  The Plattsburgh TV station didn't mention the suspended sentence.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: magicman on April 08, 2017, 07:36:47 PM

Thanks for the update Ryan.  The Plattsburgh TV station didn't mention the suspended sentence.

You can kill or permanently injure somebody by stomping on him or her. I absolutely disagree with Cards Fan that it's an unduly harsh sentence, even without the additional inciting-a-riot and threatening-a-police-officer charges.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

AndOne

A harsh sentence? Really?
Get someone down on the ground and stomp real hard on the right place on their neck, and the force of the blow can fracture their neck vertebrae and paralyze them for LIFE.
For that possibility a year is a harsh sentence? Really?
The NCAA should suspend Caudill for the entire next season.

Pat Coleman

The eligibility is probably a moot point as there isn't a Daniel Webster basketball program anymore.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

P'bearfan

Just back from a trip to Brunswick for the end of season basketball banquet.  It was a great event and I was glad to see the players, other parents and coaches one more time.  It gave me the opportunity to thank them for all they have done over the last four years. 

Coach Gilbride has built a great program that has allowed his players to develop into fine young men.  What is remarkable is how genuinely close these players are and remain after they leave Bowdoin.  We are deeply grateful to Coach Gilbride for the opportunity he gave our son four years ago. 

GoUBears!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

You might be combining two different players with some of this (I have not read the story you linked). There was a second player who was riling up the crowd and got them to encircle the police officer and I believe he was the one charged with the encouragement and threats on the officer... who was on duty, I believe.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Cards Fan

Quote from: Gregory Sager on April 09, 2017, 08:47:27 PM

You can kill or permanently injure somebody by stomping on him or her. I absolutely disagree with Cards Fan that it's an unduly harsh sentence, even without the additional inciting-a-riot and threatening-a-police-officer charges.
Put yourself in his shoes.

You are a college basketball player. Tensions are high in a big game. Something happens and a fight breaks out. You punch him without thinking about what can happen.
Sure, you can injure someone bad. We didn't see that happen. Putting a kid who was in a tough situation behind bars for a year and potentially ruining his entire future for it is NOT fair. I am positive that he wishes he can take back what he did.
https://www.gofundme.com/3eu96i8 Read this message and you will find out who we really is.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Cards Fan on April 10, 2017, 02:57:54 PM

You are a college basketball player. Tensions are high in a big game. Something happens and a fight breaks out. You punch him without thinking about what can happen.
Sure, you can injure someone bad. We didn't see that happen. Putting a kid who was in a tough situation behind bars for a year and potentially ruining his entire future for it is NOT fair. I am positive that he wishes he can take back what he did.
https://www.gofundme.com/3eu96i8 Read this message and you will find out who we really is.

Again... he isn't going behind bars for a year. It is a suspended sentence. Basically he is being warned, "do this again and you will see the rest of that sentence."

That said, I am sorry but you are responsible for your actions. I don't care how high the tensions are, you can't have the fact he punched an unassuming (defenseless) person and then stomped on his head without (a) thinking about the ramifications or (b) down playing it. It is uncalled for and completely unacceptable. If you can't control your emotions enough not to punch and then take a few steps to stump on someone, you don't get the benefit of the doubt.

And we did see what happened. We have the video. You can argue we didn't see what lead up to it, but we were told it was a loose ball on the floor that people were go for that resulted in a jump-ball call. We see everything from the moment the whistle blew until chaos broke out. We see the punch; we see the stomp. People should know better then to act that way in a basketball game. It is called assault (and worse) if it happened outside the arena, it should be called assault (and worse) on the court as well.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Cards Fan on April 10, 2017, 02:57:54 PM

:o That's a seriously poor choice of words when talking about someone who was arrested for stomping on a person's head.

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on April 10, 2017, 03:03:14 PM
Again... he isn't going behind bars for a year. It is a suspended sentence. Basically he is being warned, "do this again and you will see the rest of that sentence."

That said, I am sorry but you are responsible for your actions. I don't care how high the tensions are, you can't have the fact he punched an unassuming (defenseless) person and then stomped on his head without (a) thinking about the ramifications or (b) down playing it. It is uncalled for and completely unacceptable. If you can't control your emotions enough not to punch and then take a few steps to stump on someone, you don't get the benefit of the doubt.

And we did see what happened. We have the video. You can argue we didn't see what lead up to it, but we were told it was a loose ball on the floor that people were go for that resulted in a jump-ball call. We see everything from the moment the whistle blew until chaos broke out. We see the punch; we see the stomp. People should know better then to act that way in a basketball game. It is called assault (and worse) if it happened outside the arena, it should be called assault (and worse) on the court as well.

This. I don't care if Marquise Caudill is a prince of a guy and an understanding shoulder that people can cry upon, because that's irrelevant to the situation. The fact of the matter is that he committed assault. He punched a guy and then, after the guy went down, Caudill stormed over and stomped on the guy's head. He's very lucky that the other guy wasn't injured -- something that has a high likelihood of happening if someone stomps on your head -- because under New Hampshire law that would've changed the crime from simple assault, which is a misdemeanor, to first-degree assault, which is a felony. In other words, instead of being back in society on a suspended sentence, there's a good chance that he'd still be behind bars if the other guy had gotten hurt.

D-Mac got it exactly right. As an adult, Caudill was responsible for his actions.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

jumpshot

D-MAC and Greg are totally correct. C'mon people, are there no standards of conduct or rules of law anymore ....? Let's stop with the excuses and forbearance. One ought to suffer the natural consequences of one's actions ....

ronk

Tufts has received a commit from Max Oppenheim 6-7 P from Walt Whitman High School in Potomac, MD. Haven't seen him play in person.