MBB: Midwest Conference

Started by siwash, February 10, 2005, 01:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Early

Well....it was suppose to say "RC lives for Bon Jovi." and not have a question mark.  And you wouldn't get it if you haven't played for Coach Gilespe.

Also the only question would be David McMullen cause I haven't talked to him since last season's ball season.....but I know for a fact that Schmitting and Bo are back cause I saw them last weekend when I went to visit.

How do you give or take away karma points or whatever that is?
Ray, when a supernatural being asks if you are a god....YOU SAY YES!!!

T-Bird Teacher

If anyone wants to argue that BC won't make the top 4, let me know.  That Hinz kid is a STUD!!  With the new size coming in, Hinz should be able to do alot more scoring.

Dolph Stanley

"If anyone wants to argue that BC won't make the top 4, let me know"

1)  History of underachieving with teams as or more talented than the one they will put on the floor this year

2)  Questionable guard play

3)  Will rely on first year players for almost all of their reserve minutes

This team should be better than the past two years (3 MWC wins in 03-04 and 5 in 04-05.) However, each of the past two years it has taken 10 wins to finish in the top 4.  Can they get there?  Maybe.  The conference however has not sat still while Beloit has added depth.  Look for several other teams to improve as well.   

T-Bird Teacher

Without a doubt other teams will improve from last year.  Beloit will be one of those because of the fact they can get Hinz out of the post position where he will be able to showcase all of his skills.  He will be able to do things with the ball that will open space up for the younger players to step right in a help out where need be.  Yes the guard play will is always a question, but the transfer they brought in will definitely help.  I just see them making a head turning move this year.

Dolph Stanley

"Yes the guard play will is always a question, but the transfer they brought in will definitely help."

Which transfer is that?  The two that I am aware of are both posts.  The only guard I know of is the freshman from Big Foot.

The current regime has missed the playoffs with rosters more talented than this one.

Dolph Stanley

Featuring a MWC player on the second team.

Congratulations to Mr Braier it seems like ony yesterday I was watching him help Tosa East beat Vincent in the state high school tournament:

Street & Smith's Preseason All-America Team:

First

Keelan Amelianovich, Illinois Wesleyan
Adam Dauksas, Illinois Wesleyan
Tyler Rhoten, Trinity (Conn)
Justin Wansley, Randolph-Macon
Tyler Winford, Mississippi

Second

Chris Braier, Lawrence
Sekani Francis, Lehman
Cedric Isom, East Texas Baptist
Kyle Myrick, Lincoln (Pa)
Daniel Russ, Wittenberg

Early

Dolph,

I feel it was way too long ago that Braier was a freshman.  To me it seems that Braier should have graduated......but granted that it seems that way to me because he has been terrorizing the rebounding in the MWC since he came into it.  Also grabbing just like 70 rebounds a game.  (perhaps some but not much exaggeration)

But all kidding aside that is a big accomplishment....Congrats to Braier.
Ray, when a supernatural being asks if you are a god....YOU SAY YES!!!

hjmphelp

Braer is premed too, didn't I read someplace? That would make his placement a tremendous accomplishment IMHO.

Congrats frome here as well!

Found out we will get our first official look at GC men on October 15 (I think) when they host a "midnite madness" shootaround on the first official day of practice. That should be great fun  for all of us jonesin' for a look.

larry_u

Yep..Bopper is Pre-med.

I'm looking forward to another good season of basketball, unfortu nately i'll be watching from afar, but I hope to get to some games this year.
Better Dead then Red

d3bbfan

Dolph

BC did get a very good hard nosed 2 guard transfer. He will be a big help. He's not tall but very built strong body. He can shot very well too. The freshman guard is the 1st true point that BC has had in a long long time. He's the real deal. If he doesnt crack the starting job (moving Towns to the 2) he would be the 1st guard off the bench. BC is young at the reserves but they are way more talented than the reserves of the past several years with some size also. I'd love to see em make the tourny. I think they may have a good shot. Best of luck to all the MWC teams this year...it should be fun.

Dolph Stanley

Thanks D3fan.

Sounds like Beloit will have a lot of new faces this year.  Did anyone who saw time last year not come back (or not go out?)

Also, anyone else have updates on incoming players for other schools in the MWC?   

T-Bird Teacher

Jon Allen and Manny Fergus saw significant playing time last year.  And Ted Serafini saw som e as well.  Jon played alot at the point guard spot, but this new kid should step in nicely.

Hawk Sighting

Early, i can tell you that David is back at Ripon.  He will be leaving shoe treds on the courts all season.  I agree with you early, the guys that you have named are excellent athletes and will help with Ripon working its way to the NCAA tourny.  I believe i heard that they have also brought in some very top notch freshman to help out the program.  Looking forward for this season, i think that around the conference its going to be a battle.

And i agree what are these karma points about?

The Roop

OK, I'll bite...............

I do believe that this recruiting year has given Beloit great upside potential, however, it's asking a lot from incoming players to expect the TEAM to make the MWC Tournament. Making the conference tournament and losing the opening night would accomplish nothing other than breaking a long streak of non-appearances. Too much history surrounding the program to give much applause for that.

When the MWC Tournament is a given each year and the likelihood of winning in the NCAAs is not in question, then I will believe Beloit is back at the level they should be. That won't happen this year. Granted they have only won once in the history of the D3 Tournament, but the seeding criteria is different these days. With a good season they shouldn't have to play a Final Four Team in the early rounds anymore.

Before everybody says "Hey, The Roop" Beloit has won several of games in the NCAA tournament. Let me say that I am only counting wins when they have advanced. Winning regional consolation games doesn't really count for, or prove, anything. They beat William Penn in 1981 for their only "advancement" in the D3 Tournament.

The only time a consolation game was important to Beloit was the 1948-1949 season when they finished 3rd in the N.I.T. Which was the National Championship of the time.

Ist Ihre Tochter achtzehn bitte

the game

7 freshman this year?? Administration starting to take a turn. New AD really getting get it done.

BC has to finish in the top four. Talent and experience is there in BC's top 4.
Yes the talent is not as rich as the 02' or 03 teams that underachieved, but it should be good enough for the 2006 MWC.  Hinz is a top 20 player in the country if not more. Hendry and the freshman posts should allow hinz to fully display his skills which somebody already mentioned. This new point doesn't have to be very good. This team needs shooters to stretch the floor to allow Hinz and Hendry to operate. If the freshman gets significant minutes at the point then Towns and/or Bysted has to be the automatic knockdown from the perimeter. This team, as we know of now, doesn't have outstanding off the dribble guys. So they must play off the ability of Hinz. Yes, he will go down as one of the top players in BC history, unfortunately the team has not yet fully utilized his abilities. 22 wins in 3 year Hinz era. For once the schedule will allow BC to get off to a respectable start. Rack of home games to start could build momentum. Everyone associated with program knows anything less than  tourney appearance is seriously a disapointment.