FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lewdogg11

Quote from: Pat Coleman on July 18, 2013, 12:29:18 PM
Quote from: LewDogg11 on July 18, 2013, 12:20:54 PM
Pretty shocked to see Hobart at 7, but not as shocked as I was to see Framingham State receiving 2 votes.  I mean come on!  Is there a voter just wanting a pre-season throwaway ballot to see an NEFC team somewhere on the list?  Might as well just put Castleton State on the ballot too.

Framingham more than held its own against Cortland last year in the playoffs. I didn't see someone throwing them a No. 24 spot as being an issue.

So they 'held their own' against Cortland last year who finished ranked 24th and is 26th in this year's preseason poll.  Let's face it, someone threw Framingham a bone. 

I still just have a hard time seeing any NEFC teams get votes outside of Curry when they earned it over many years.  Framingham had 1 decent showing against an overrated Cortland team in their only non-NEFC game in like 10 years.  Maybe if they beat Endicott AND Rowan to start the year i'll be more sold on the idea.

Nitpicking?  Maybe, but I don't think it's deserved at this point.

D3MAFAN

Quote from: LewDogg11 on July 18, 2013, 12:40:44 PM
Pretty shocked to see Hobart at 7, but not as shocked as I was to see Framingham State receiving 2 votes.  I mean come on!  Is there a voter just wanting a pre-season throwaway ballot to see an NEFC team somewhere on the list?  Might as well just put Castleton State on the ballot too.

Framingham more than held its own against Cortland last year in the playoffs. I didn't see someone throwing them a No. 24 spot as being an issue.

So they 'held their own' against Cortland last year who finished ranked 24th and is 26th in this year's preseason poll.  Let's face it, someone threw Framingham a bone. 

I still just have a hard time seeing any NEFC teams get votes outside of Curry when they earned it over many years.  Framingham had 1 decent showing against an overrated Cortland team in their only non-NEFC game in like 10 years.  Maybe if they beat Endicott AND Rowan to start the year i'll be more sold on the idea.

Well some team from a conference that doesn't have any outside comparison took 17 other receiving votes.

lewdogg11

Quote from: D3MAFAN on July 18, 2013, 12:43:48 PM
Quote from: LewDogg11 on July 18, 2013, 12:40:44 PM

Well some team from a conference that doesn't have any outside comparison took 17 other receiving votes.

Well that is expected at the beginning of each year.  The voters stop voting for NESCAC teams as the season wears on typically. 

ITH radio

I was reminded that the 2003 RPI team finished #5 in the final D3FB poll given Final Four run vs. SJU so Hobart's #7 isn't the "best all-time" for a LL school.

Interesting that RPI "only" went 11-2 (lost to Hobart that went 6-4 in the season finale 42-25), and didn't travel far at all thru the first three rounds basically b/c back then the playoffs were more regionalized (in case you're wondering they beat Curry, Springfield and Ithaca before dropping the game to eventual NC SJU).

So, just for discussion, is RPI's 2003 run more impressive?  Or is Hobart's 12-1 run and the preseason #7 ranking?

Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

D3MAFAN

Quote from: ITH radio on July 18, 2013, 03:13:22 PM
I was reminded that the 2003 RPI team finished #5 in the final D3FB poll given Final Four run vs. SJU so Hobart's #7 isn't the "best all-time" for a LL school.

Interesting that RPI "only" went 11-2 (lost to Hobart that went 6-4 in the season finale 42-25), and didn't travel far at all thru the first three rounds basically b/c back then the playoffs were more regionalized (in case you're wondering they beat Curry, Springfield and Ithaca before dropping the game to eventual NC SJU).

So, just for discussion, is RPI's 2003 run more impressive?  Or is Hobart's 12-1 run and the preseason #7 ranking?

I would have to say Hobart's 12-1 run was more impressive due to the teams that Hobart played. RPI run was before they started sending 'you know who' to the East and as you aformentioned the bracket was more regionalized when RPI went on their run. However, both teams represented their conference and the East well.

lewdogg11

Quote from: D3MAFAN on July 18, 2013, 03:19:51 PM
Quote from: ITH radio on July 18, 2013, 03:13:22 PM

I would have to say the Hobart's 12-1 run was more impressive due to the teams that Hobart played. RPI run was before they started sending 'you know who' to the East and as you aformentioned the bracke was more regionalized. However, both teams represented their conference and the East well.

You might just be giving too little of credit to Ithaca and Springfield of 2003 because of their more recent performances.  I still believe that Springfield team may have won the National Championship had RPI not beaten them.  And that Ithaca team wasn't too shabby either.  Maybe i'm biased, but I remember being pretty convinced that Springfield team was gonna blow RPI out that year.  They were outstanding and big and fast.

That said, I think if you focus on 12 months of work, RPI's run was more impressive, but Hobart's 2010 season(5-4) is the only blemish over the past 10 years or so, so their body of work makes this more impressive because they aren't a flash in the pan and have rightly earned that ranking after a decade of dominance and 2 very impressive playoff years in a row.

pumkinattack

IC & Springfield were definitely stronger back then, but that last reg season game in 2003 is pretty hard to ignore.  We lost one game in 2011 to you guys (in a bizarre game with a big comeback on the road) and get a road game vs. #3 Wesley in the 1st round. 

dlippiel

Cortland vs any NEFC team 10 years ago would have been a laugher. That just isn't the case anymore. The NEFC has made some slow steady progress. Worth a vote or two? Maybe but progress none the less.

dlippiel

Congrats to Hobart and the entire Pumpkin head world on their #7 preseason ranking. Well deserved if you ask dlip!

mattvsmith

I used to dislike Hobart having a high ranking because I felt like expectations were too high. Now I want high expectations. It lays down the law: "Perform!" An imperative. I expect The Statement to play like national contenders from now on. No flashes in the pan allowed.

ITH radio

Unfortunately Mike Hermann was waived yesterday by the Chargers.  Curious to see if he lands in another camp, tries out elsewhere, pursues other options, etc.

mattvsmith

Quote from: ITH radio on July 31, 2013, 05:49:42 AM
Unfortunately Mike Hermann was waived yesterday by the Chargers.  Curious to see if he lands in another camp, tries out elsewhere, pursues other options, etc.
NFL Europe or Arena Football.

Knightstalker

Quote from: Rt Rev J.H. Hobart on July 31, 2013, 11:24:07 AM
Quote from: ITH radio on July 31, 2013, 05:49:42 AM
NFL Europe or Arena Football.

Wal-Mart?  Coast Guard Auxiliary?

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

AUKaz00

While driving aroung metro-NY last weekend I heard an ad for Verizon FIOS.  I didn't realize FIOS had gone to a NESCAC school.
Check out the official card game of the AU Pep Band - Str8 Eight!

ITH radio

Which players would the LLPP/ERFP like to see featured in the ITH preseason show?