Pool B

Started by Ralph Turner, October 01, 2005, 02:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smedindy

Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 24, 2013, 12:52:37 PM
Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on November 24, 2013, 07:52:25 AM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 23, 2013, 04:04:27 PM
Pool B  2013:  Wesley (IND), WashUStL  (UAA), Framingham State (MASCAC)

Wesley 29, at JHU  24
at Franklin 17, WashUStL  10
at Ithaca 20, Framingham State 17.

Considering these results, while we don't definitely KNOW how TLU or Millsaps would have done, I'd say that the three B selections acquitted themselves well.  WashU goes to the final horn on the road, FSU does the same in a game where they were the underdog, and Wesley wins maybe the most exciting game of the first round.  Nice job, Pool B!  You'll be a lot smaller next year!
TLU or Millsaps would have lost by 4-6 TD's at UMHB.

Is there a way Millsaps could have played Maryville? Are they about 500 miles apart? That would mean HSC would perhaps go with Johns Hopkins, and then Wesley somewhere else. A cascading effect to say the least...

Ralph Turner

Quote from: smedindy on November 24, 2013, 09:30:21 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 24, 2013, 12:52:37 PM
Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on November 24, 2013, 07:52:25 AM

Wesley 29, at JHU  24

Considering these results, while we don't definitely KNOW how TLU or Millsaps would have done, I'd say that the three B selections acquitted themselves well.  WashU goes to the final horn on the road, FSU does the same in a game where they were the underdog, and Wesley wins maybe the most exciting game of the first round.  Nice job, Pool B!  You'll be a lot smaller next year!
TLU or Millsaps would have lost by 4-6 TD's at UMHB.

Is there a way Millsaps could have played Maryville? Are they about 500 miles apart? That would mean HSC would perhaps go with Johns Hopkins, and then Wesley somewhere else. A cascading effect to say the least...
Millsaps can bus to Belton TX. I guess it all depends on whom you want to fly?

Redlands to Belton, who played UMHB earlier in the season, a rematch in the first round?
Redlands to somewhere else?

smedindy

The comment was the Millsaps would have lost by a bundle at UMHB. I was thinking where they wouldn't have to play them in the first round.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: smedindy on November 25, 2013, 12:08:08 PM
The comment was the Millsaps would have lost by a bundle at UMHB. I was thinking where they wouldn't have to play them in the first round.
Thanks Smed.

I was trying to get away from a first round rematch, too.

Ralph Turner

Wesley 29, at JHU  24

Week #2
at Wesley 23, Ithaca 15.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 30, 2013, 09:17:15 PM

Wesley 29, at JHU  24

Week #2
at Wesley 23, Ithaca 15.

Week #3
at Mount Union 62, Wesley 59.

Final record for Pool B, 2 wins, 3 losses.

K-Mack

Bumping this so it's easier to find.

Quote from: Ralph Turner on April 24, 2013, 08:25:51 PM
http://www.d3football.com/notables/2013/04/macalester-to-join-midwest-conference

Macalester joins the MWC as a football affiliate in 2014.

Three fewer Pool B schools (with CRWU and C-M going to the Pres AC)  in 2014.

I will update Pool B in 2014 later.

As I see it now (and corrections will be greatly appreciated!!!)
UAA         (2)  -- Wash U, Chicago.  (going to the SAA in 2015)
SCAC       (4)  -- Trinity, Texas Lutheran, Austin College, Southwestern
Indep        (1)  -- Wesley
MASCAC   (7)   -- 

Will CNU still affiliate with the USA South to keep access to a Pool A bid?

:-[   :D  Thanks for the Correction, FC!  +1!
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

Ron Boerger

So who besides the SCAC orphans will be Pool B after Wesley goes to the NJAC and WashU/Chicago going to the SAA?

Are there even enough schools for Pool B to be meaningful, or will it just be A and C?

ADL70

KMac says six B in 2015

http://www.d3football.com/columns/around-the-nation/2014/analysis-njac-e8

Not sure who his other two are besides the SCAC four.
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: Ron Boerger on March 03, 2014, 10:14:17 AM
So who besides the SCAC orphans will be Pool B after Wesley goes to the NJAC and WashU/Chicago going to the SAA?

Are there even enough schools for Pool B to be meaningful, or will it just be A and C?

I think this is the end of Pool B, and I'm fine with that.  With less than ten schools, I don't see any critical need for a protected Pool B bid; just put any "Pool B" schools into the at-large mix.
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

Pat Coleman

Quote from: ADL70 on March 03, 2014, 11:48:37 AM
KMac says six B in 2015

Maranatha Baptist and Finlandia.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

crufootball

Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 12, 2014, 12:43:50 AM
Quote from: ADL70 on March 03, 2014, 11:48:37 AM
KMac says six B in 2015

Maranatha Baptist and Finlandia.

All of the ASC will be joining them in 2016 unless something happens right?

Ron Boerger

With Belhaven joining in '15 you MAY be OK - NCAA has to rule on whether or not a team in transition to D3 would count towards the seven requirement.

wally_wabash

Quote from: Ron Boerger on March 12, 2014, 12:32:46 PM
With Belhaven joining in '15 you MAY be OK - NCAA has to rule on whether or not a team in transition to D3 would count towards the seven requirement.

If the ASC does move temporarily to Pool B in 2015 and there is a second bid there, it's just going to be the ASC winner that gets it.  So there's nothing really seismic there...the minus one from Pool A is going to be the same team as the plus one from Pool B - net change to the championship field is zero as far as I can tell. 

If there is only just the one bid though, then it's still probably going to the ASC winner unless Trinity gets their business back together or TLU goes nanners again and runs the table.  And MHB loses a couple of times in the same season. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Ralph Turner

Quote from: wally_wabash on March 12, 2014, 12:49:55 PM
Quote from: Ron Boerger on March 12, 2014, 12:32:46 PM

If the ASC does move temporarily to Pool B in 2015 and there is a second bid there, it's just going to be the ASC winner that gets it.  So there's nothing really seismic there...the minus one from Pool A is going to be the same team as the plus one from Pool B - net change to the championship field is zero as far as I can tell. 

If there is only just the one bid though, then it's still probably going to the ASC winner unless Trinity gets their business back together or TLU goes nanners again and runs the table.  And MHB loses a couple of times in the same season.
I think that this is the way that it works.

The ASC is "on football probation" with 6 Pool A schools in the 2014 and 2015 seasons. The ASC will have 2 seasons (2014 and 2015) to get the 7th member. I will not be too optimistic and say that the ASC or NCAA will let McMurry compete in the post-season for the 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons, altho' I won't look the gift horse in the mouth.)  My guess is that McMurry returns to full status in 2016-17. (effectively, the ASC never loses its Pool A bid under this scenario.) This gives the ASC its 7th for football for the 2016 season. I do not think that there are any other sports that are affected.

I am guessing that Belhaven will go thru the 4-year provisional schedule and become a full member of the NCAA  in 2018-19.