Future of Division III

Started by Ralph Turner, October 10, 2005, 07:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmccloskey

Well, we have five conferences that don't qualify for Pool A at present.

The Atlantic Central Football Conference is a single sport conference and therefore will never be eligible for an automatic qualifer (at least under current NCAA rules).  Any single sport conference that had an automatic qualifer as of 1998 could keep it as long as they continued to meet the eligibility standards, but no single sport conferences formed after that point can qualify.

The New England Small College Athletic Conference is a mystery to me.  I can only assume they don't participate in the NCAA football tournament, because they meet all the qualifications for an automatic bid, but don't have one.

The Northwest Conference has six members, but Lewis & Clark cancelled it's conference schedule and therefore isn't eligible for the conference title this year.  That puts them two teams short of being eligible.  The current requirement is for seven conference members that have been eligible for the Conference title AND the NCAA tournament for two years BEFORE you get an automatic qualifer.  So the earliest the NWC could go Pool A is the 2008 season.

The Presidents' Athletic Conference is on it's way to Pool A.  They have the required seven members and four core members (sponsoring more than one conference sport).  Thomas More is member #7 and is in it's first year of eligibility for the conference title.  The PAC goes Pool A in the 2007 season.

The University Athletic Association is furthest away, with only four members.  They DO have their four core members already, and could have three members join just for football to qualify for Pool A.  Pool A no earlier than the 2008 season.

So it looks like you have four Pool B Conferences.  One WILL move to Pool A, one is barred from Pool A, and the other two could move to Pool A if they can bring in more football schools.  Then, of course, you have your 18 independents that also make up Pool B, four of which have winning records at present.

Pat Coleman

Jeff,

Welcome back to the forum. Always glad to see one of the Web's other D-III pioneers around. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ralph Turner

Jeff, I guess this is "Hello, pleased to meet you!" :)

One other group that pulls out of Pool B will be the members of the Upper Midwest Athletic Conference (when all football playing members finish provisional staus) plus their affiliates who happen to be in the SLAIC or NIIC/LMC for other sports.

My assessment of the UAA 4 is that the next 10 seasons (Wow! That is an epoch in NCAA time.) will contribute 40 teams to the Pool B numerator and possibly only receive 2-3 Pool B bids.

I appreciate everyone's insights and perspectives on the "Mission and Vision" of the respective conferences that we discussed.  I frequently wonder what really is happening in those conferences.  You have helped me considerably. :)

ADL70

Ralph,

Bear in mind that the opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent the views of the subject conferences or their member institutions.
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

Ralph Turner

CWRU70,  But until we are surprised by a remarkably different course for the football/athletic programs, I think most readers can believe that a respected poster's opinion roughly reflects the nature of the issue.

Thanks to each of you for the contributions!  :)

jmccloskey

Thanks Pat, glad to be back!

I didn't include the Upper Midwest Athletic Conference because it's not included in the conference standings on d3football.com.  I was simply going down the conference list there and comparing it to the list of Pool A conferences.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: jmccloskey on October 16, 2005, 02:12:08 AM
The New England Small College Athletic Conference is a mystery to me.  I can only assume they don't participate in the NCAA football tournament, because they meet all the qualifications for an automatic bid, but don't have one.

For whatever reason, the NESCAC bars its members from playing football games outside of conference play, including NCAA playoff competition.  Nobody has ever figured out why they only do this in football, as they are certainly competitive on a national level in most other sports (e.g. Williams, the nine-time defending Directors' Cup champion).

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

They don't do it because football playoffs interfere with finals, or at least that's the only reason I've ever heard.  It makes sense, in a way.  Basketball practically takes the month of December off and is done by finals in the spring, so no conflict there.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

frank uible

Ron: I have a theory for NESCAC's special treatment of football. which I have posted on this board. Perhaps I will repeat it sometime.

'gro

Quote from: frank uible on October 17, 2005, 11:17:14 AM
Ron: I have a theory for NESCAC's special treatment of football. which I have posted on this board. Perhaps I will repeat it sometime.

Repeat it frank, I'd like to see it.

I think the NESCAC, at the very least, should keep their current format of no conference games, but send the champ to the NCAAs. That way, only one team has to "struggle" with the thought of another 3-4 weeks of football. I think a conference with the caliber of schools the NESCAC touts can find a way to balance academics and football and still play in the NCAAs.

This would actually help out the east region, seeing the williams has had some strong teams in the past, and people want to see if trinity (CT) is for real.

frank uible

EngiNegro: In due course - I don't cast pearls every day.

redswarm81

Quote from: frank uible on October 18, 2005, 01:37:13 PM
EngiNegro: In due course - I don't cast pearls every day.

What?  What?  You "don't cast pearls (before swine) every day?"

Oh, my God, 'gro! There ain't no pearls! This guy's referring to us! Oh, I can't stand it! Oh, my God! I want a piece of this guy! Oh, God, please, God, I gotta give this guy a beatin'!

How much ya bench, Frank?   :D 

I miss Chris Farley.  Thanks for the excuse to remind myself of a SNL classic--do yourself a favor and follow the link under "There ain't no pearls!"
Irritating SAT-lagging Union undergrads and alums since 1977

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

The front page has the story about the M-Morris basketball player who was killed after the football game when the goalposts came down.

If there was ever a story that crosses between the two boards, this may be it.

Any thoughts?  I know there was a big "goalpost" debate among the D1 football schools a few years back, which led to many of them getting those "safe goalposts" or whatever they are called.

I'm not too up on what they are and how prohibitive the costs are.  Is this something feasable for a d3 school?
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Coach C

I think that they are about $3000 each.  That should not be beyond the cost of most schools offering a football program.  The NCAA mandates all kinds of silliness, so it is time that they did something for once that could be helpful.

Gray Fox

Will the realignment in 2007 (Juniata to the Centennial etc.) cause any kind of region shift?
Fierce When Roused