Future of Division III

Started by Ralph Turner, October 10, 2005, 07:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

COVID and D-III.

QuotePresidents' Growing Worry? Perceived Value of College

As Inside Higher Ed has surveyed college and university presidents several times over the course of this COVID-19-dominated spring, some things have remained constant. The leaders' sometimes conflicting concerns about student and employee health and institutional finances. Uncertainty about if and when they will reopen campuses and resume sports programs. Awareness that difficult financial decisions, driven by the recession, are ahead. ...

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/survey/college-presidents-increasingly-worried-about-perceived-value-degrees

Ron Boerger

Division III Membership Committee comments on return to sports:

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/division-iii-membership-committee-statement-return-sports

Basically, schools should exercise best judgement in participating and the committee is willing to consider waivers for institution that may fall under published participation minimums. 

OzJohnnie

Quote from: Pat Coleman on July 01, 2020, 02:21:16 PM
No, this is OK. I have evaluated this a couple times in the past 24 hours to see if it needs to be split out, but COVID and higher ed are pretty intertwined right now.

Thanks, Pat. I will insure my posts maintain a relevance to higher education.
[  

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Pat Coleman on July 01, 2020, 02:21:16 PM
No, this is OK. I have evaluated this a couple times in the past 24 hours to see if it needs to be split out, but COVID and higher ed are pretty intertwined right now.

Thanks for holding off, Pat. This has been a good discussion.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

OzJohnnie

Quote from: Ralph Turner on June 28, 2020, 11:33:44 PM
Oz,

The article that caught my eye early was by Didier Raoult.

He uploaded a copy of the paper to Google Drive in mid March, which I downloaded.

His regimen of Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin killed the virus such that patients were sero-negative on Day-6.  (p< 0.001) There was no virus detected in his patients who took that regimen versus controls who did not wish to have his regimen and patients from another hospital who did not have the regimen. Here is the link to the article.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32205204/

What is your brother seeing with respect to Hydrozychloroquine/Azithromycin +/- oral Zinc?  Thanks

My b-i-l is smart enough to keep his mouth shut so I don't quote him as he knows I like to talk.  He has told me, so I'm assuming I'm ok to paraphrase, that the approach to CV will most likely prove successful will be drug cocktails not dissimilar to how we treat other unvaccinated viruses.  The fact that the fatality rate of the virus is falling so rapidly isn't due to some miracle drug or anything, just that front line doctors/nurses/etc are becoming experienced at recognising and dealing with a patient.  Things are getting out of control for individual cases much less frequently as people figure out how to manage a seriously sick person better (plus through experience there is significantly less cross contamination in hospitals where already sick people are picking up another infection).

As to hydro... he guesses that if it proves effective then it will most likely prove effective early in cases when combined with some other drugs (he's running some giant global study that is trying a few combinations to see how they work.  He's also running a second trial with another drug frequently in the news) and if the infection persist then different treatment options will enter the picture.  He has no idea at the moment whether it will prove effective or if effective in treating whether it will prove worthwhile for the cost. He mentioned on a national media interview (in another country) recently that the politization of hydro in the scientific community and media is the greatest hindrance to identifying when and if the drug actually has value.

I think that's safe enough that were someone to identify my b-i-l he doesn't get cancelled for knowing me, a heretic.

(And if we do end up with effective drug treatments then that will make DIII football all that more likely.)
[  

Gray Fox

Fierce When Roused

OzJohnnie

Quote from: Gray Fox on July 02, 2020, 02:09:05 PM
OzJohnnie,

What does your b-i-l think of this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/07/01/coronavirus-autopsies-findings/

He wouldn't give an opinion.  Too smart for that.

Me, dengue fever?  Sounds exotic and very scary.  A quick look around tells me it causes 40k deaths annually from 390 million infections so your odds are worse if you catch influenza.  I guess there's a reason it's classified a neglected tropical disease; there are far more things to worry about first.  But it sounds exotic and is from the tropics so that's very bad.  Better write a story on it and fail to mention dengue is rarely fatal.

I do know that Stevie Ray Vaughan's older brother Jimmie Vaughan has a great tune called the Dengue Woman Blues.  Great listening.

https://open.spotify.com/track/4OGyibX2nayDVCUfFN4u8x?si=TZ9kWrc1Sg6bBWSUT7OAKw
[  

Gray Fox

Fierce When Roused

Ralph Turner

QuoteI do know that Stevie Ray Vaughan's older brother Jimmie Vaughan has a great tune called the Dengue Woman Blues.  Great listening.

Thanks for the reference to some really superb Classical Music!

ADL70

SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

Gray Fox

Quote from: ADL70 on July 04, 2020, 09:00:30 PM
Quote from: Gray Fox on July 04, 2020, 12:39:15 PM
Article on COVID and college football at all levels.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/07/03/unable-afford-coronavirus-testing-some-colleges-are-canceling-football-season/

Can't get by the paywall. Which ones are mentioned?
Some highlights.

Morehouse is one of six schools with NCAA sports that have canceled their fall seasons, along with Bowdoin, Williams College, Pratt Institute, the College of New Jersey and Massachusetts Boston.

"The real pressure at Division II and Division III is the revenue the school generates from having full-time enrolled students on campus," McBroom said. "The drive to play, for us, is not really a financial decision."

If weekly testing becomes a prerequisite for safely playing football and other sports this fall, as some experts and college officials have suggested, the vast majority of the hundreds of schools in Division II and III probably will have to cancel fall sports, officials said.

"Where the Power Five are and their ability to test on a weekly basis, that's just not our reality," said Jim Naumovich, commissioner of the Division II Great Lakes Valley Conference.

Wharton and others are following the potential for pooled or batch testing, a more cost-effective but less precise method. In batch testing, every player for a team would submit a sample — ideally, blood — that is combined, and all the samples are tested at once. The result would tell officials whether there were any infected athletes on a team and could be useful as a pregame test.

Jay Gardiner, commissioner of the Southern Athletic Association, a Division III conference based in Atlanta, said he is also following the developmental use of batch testing while discussing potential modifications to other sports to reduce the risk of infection during competition.

Among the potential changes, Gardiner said, are referees with mechanical whistles that don't require blowing, eliminating faceoffs in lacrosse and disinfecting balls in all sports routinely throughout competition.

"I don't feel like I'm a commissioner right now for anything other than covid-19," Gardiner said.

As athletes returned to some campuses in recent weeks, the potential difficulties of getting college players to follow strict distancing requirements also became clear.

At Chattanooga, Wharton said, all returning athletes were tested when they returned to campus, then told to self-quarantine for up to two days until results came back. About a dozen football players ignored the request and held an informal practice together, running routes and some offensive plays. When the results came back, one of the players tested positive. All of them are now in mandatory quarantine, awaiting the results of another round of tests.

"I don't think any athletic director or football coach in the country is sleeping very well right now," Wharton said.
Fierce When Roused

OzJohnnie

In case you haven't seen this elsewhere on the boards, here's a running list of college plans by the Chronicle of Higher Education.  It doesn't specifically list what each school is doing with sport but it does list each school's return to classroom (or not) plans along with links to statements the schools have made which may include sport.  It's updated every weekday and is currently tracking the statements from 1,075 colleges.

https://www.chronicle.com/article/Here-s-a-List-of-Colleges-/248626
[  

ADL70

SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

Pat Coleman

I did tweet that reporter to thank him for interviewing a D-III commissioner, but also to point out that there are a lot more than six schools and direct him to our list: https://www.d3sports.com/notables/2020/06/schools-call-it-off-for-fall
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

justafan12

I am fairly new to D3 football and I asked on this forum once about why no contact was allowed in spring football for D3.  One of the answers I got was that most D3 school did not have the training staff that would be required to maintain football along with the other spring sports.  Made sense to me.

Fast forward to 2020, and what IF (and I realize a big IF) the NCAA moves football to the spring; will D3 schools be able to handle the training staff needs for regular spring sports and now football?  I realize this may not happen but I have heard some suggesting that the NCAA may do this.

Any thoughts?