FB: Presidents' Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:14:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jknezek

Quote from: SaintsFAN on September 17, 2018, 08:08:21 AM
Pretty big win for Thomas More this past weekend versus Platteville. 

They have been slow starting in 2 out of their 3 games but have come roaring back on both times. 

The team is very young on defense and this bodes well for their future.  They have much of their schedule to play, obviously but I was impressed with the grit I saw on Saturday.

Yes. A nice win. They improved a lot from game 1. Despite the schedule, if they play like they did in the second half, they will be solid again this year. One game does not make a season.... or an attempt at setting over/under win totals!

E.115

Congrats to frosh CWRU QB for being named PAC athlete of the week:

Saxton Earns PAC & UAA Weekly Honors

https://athletics.case.edu/sports/fball/2018-19/releases/20180918fjz50g

Pokerplayer

Congrats to W&J's Nick Getz and Andrew Wolf for being named to D3Football.com's Team of the Week for defensive and offensive achievements, respectively.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Pokerplayer on September 18, 2018, 05:10:15 PM
Congrats to W&J's Nick Getz and Andrew Wolf for being named to D3Football.com's Team of the Week for defensive and offensive achievements, respectively.

And for coverage of W&J players named Zac, or some variation thereof:
http://www.d3football.com/columns/features/2018/washington-jefferson-zack-attack
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

ExTartanPlayer

I was able to take the evening and check out CMU @ W&J on Saturday night.

A few disjointed thoughts:

- W&J offense just killed us with big plays.  This was one of those games where an early emotional swing seems to have made a huge impact...W&J lights it up in just three plays, CMU nearly answers by going 70+ yards on their first play...but then fails to convert on three plays from inside the 5 yard line before missing a chip-shot field goal.  Instead of coming away 7-7 after the first possession, it's 7-0, and three more W&J plays later it's 13-0.  On reflection, W&J didn't have any sustained drives (hell, I forgot that they actually punted twice in the first quarter) - it was all big plays (WR Wolf was very impressive; so was RB West).  I feel a little bad for CMU's Willie Richter, a player that I've loved since he was a freshman kick returner, since he probably has some regret over not-quite-scoring on that first play.  CMU coming up empty after a 73-yard gain on the first play seemed to deflate the team and put them into a funk that they wouldn't wake up from until it was too late.

- Even if the first quarter unfolds exactly the same after that, I still think a touchdown there (with no other change) would have given the game a much more competitive feel than the final score indicates.  The last 45 minutes of the game were played on even footing (note that total yards ended up W&J 501, CMU 498 - and very little that was really "garbage time" stat padding, Cline was almost at 300 passing yards in the first half).  CMU gained plenty of yards.  Just couldn't finish some promising drives.  Give us that first touchdown, and the first half feels more like two offenses trading scores in a shootout instead of the blowout that it started to feel like.

- W&J gets all the credit for smelling blood in the water and jumping early.  I've been on the right side and the wrong side of games like that.  When things are going your way early, you gotta jump on it, and they did.  They had the luxury of cruising home because they hit all those opportunities early.

- With that said, I also want to give CMU some credit for not folding.  Late in the first quarter, the way things were starting to snowball, I was afraid it was going to end up 58-7.  Instead, CMU's defense buckled down and started making stops, and the offense kept moving the ball and threatening enough that W&J couldn't totally relax until the last five minutes or so.

Congrats to the Presidents.  That offense is really, really impressive.  The loss is disappointing for CMU, but I don't think it changes the season outlook dramatically.  Gotta come back and play next week.  Home games with St. Vincent and Grove City are a chance to build some momentum; unless someone has dramatically improved, the biggest tests remaining won't come for some time, so the Tartans need to stay focused and use the next several weeks to establish themselves.
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

ADL70

CWRU's Saxton is #9 in d3 passing efficiency, winning the tie breaker (whatever it is - maybe taking it out another decimal) over Witt's Kennedy.  W&J's Jacob Adams is #4.

Big challenges for Spartans next two Saturdays on road at Westminster and then W&J.

SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

E.115

^
CWRU @ Westminster preview:
https://d2o2figo6ddd0g.cloudfront.net/l/o/z99502y9grs3sn/fb_WES_game_notes18.pdf

Tough back-to-back weeks for the Spartans for sure

WashJeff68

Followed the W&J CMU game as well, and ExTartanPlayer summarized it admirably.

W&J's fast start has been a factor in most of their games this year. Against GCC last week they scored three unanswered touchdowns in the first quarter:

1 play drive 66 yards to Wolf, 4 play drive 20 yards to Wolf and 7 play drive 12 yards to Cullen. As ExTartanPlayer said, that puts the opposing team back on it's heels from the getgo.

So, Coughlin/Rowse and Zubik are gone and the era of Adams (jr) and Wolf (so) has begun, augmented with a pretty good running game and a solid defense. The two deep depth chart contains a significant number of sophomores and freshmen so the games that are decided early will give them a chance to get some game experience. I notice they have a new kicker who is a transfer from DI or DII so maybe that factor of the game, which was abysmal (except for one lucky FG vs Johns Hopkins) has improved.

As the CWRU  alums here indicate, Westminster will be tough. W&J has to stay focused against Bethany. If W&J and CWRU prevail it sets up a great game the next week - two top 20 teams from the PAC facing off with the conference championship and it's automatic playoff bid probably at stake. With a cursory look I certainly did not see any glaring difference in the stats of CWRU and W&J versus the two teams they have both already played  (GCC and Thiel).

Jeff in East Tennessee

Older than Springtime...Younger than dirt

WashJeff68

Older than Springtime...Younger than dirt

E.115

Quote from: WashJeff68 on September 26, 2018, 09:21:01 PM
And some more:

https://gopresidents.com/news/2018/9/25/w-j-places-two-on-d3football-com-team-of-the-week-once-again.aspx

Not TRYING to be obnoxious. 😀

Not obnoxious at all.

The PAC also had a CWRU player on the "D3 Team of the Week"... plus a Thomas More player:  http://www.d3football.com/awards/tow/2018/week4

To be obnoxious :) here's the CWRU guy https://athletics.case.edu/sports/fball/2017-18/bios/henderson_ian_i5u9

E.115

:D

From the Cleveland Plain Dealer:

A Division III Baker Mayfield? CWRU freshman QB makes strong first impression, too
Updated 5:31 AM; Posted 5:30 AM
By Mike Peticca

https://www.cleveland.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/09/a_division_iii_baker_mayfield.html

SpartanMom_2016

I love the articles about the kids on all the teams.  Keep posting them!

Pokerplayer

Quote from: SpartanMom_2016 on September 29, 2018, 09:54:31 AM

This, my friends, is what D3football is all about!!
Quote from: SpartanMom_2016 on September 29, 2018, 09:54:31 AM