MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flying Dutch Fan and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Grutte Dirk

Quote from: almcguirejrI have heard Demetrius Lake will not play at Olivet next year.
Not true. I read it on the internets.
https://www.instagram.com/demetriuslake/
Bûter, brea en griene tsiis; wa't dat net sizze kin, is gjin oprjochte Fries.

Titan Q

Uchenna Egekeze tweeted his commitment to Calvin late last night...

https://twitter.com/UEgekeze/status/1274551511192920064?s=20

Hopefully Ryan Sroka wins the first meeting of these former teammates (Nov. 21).

https://twitter.com/RyanSroka/status/1274552914317631489?s=20

HOPEful

Quote from: KnightSlappy on June 20, 2020, 09:17:10 AM
Quote from: HOPEful on June 19, 2020, 04:39:19 PM
Quote from: sac on June 19, 2020, 10:19:45 AM
If the question is who helped themselves the most for immediate needs, its probably Calvin by quite a bit.  Paul and Scheffers are likely first day starters.  If Sall extends his bench a little more, he's probably got a couple other Fr. who may contribute some.
But I think Albion, Alma, Hope, Olivet and Trine have all added a player or two that down the road may become all-miaa first team quality.
All I know is, I don't think MIAA recruiting has ever been this competitive among the 8 schools.
Quote from: Bilk on June 17, 2020, 03:47:32 PM
Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on June 17, 2020, 10:08:29 AMUpdated list - we have reached 60 total "commitments" between 7 teams
Who are the top-2 or 3 of the group? Which school has the best recruiting class?
Scheffers, Paul and Griffth (hope)   probably, maybe?   Demetrius Lake if he does indeed play for Olivet next Winter is surely top 3 impact.

I agree with pretty much everything sac posted.

I will make one gentle reminder (perhaps equally to myself as everyone else)...

No matter how much Scheffers, Paul, Griffith, or any other incoming player contributes right away this season... very little has changed in how the season should play out. Even if Scheffers and Paul are both starters from day one, even the slappiest of knight fans doesn't expect them to be Davis and Ebeling, especially THIS season. So as excited as I am to see Griffith and how much different Hope's offense looks with him and with Thomas and Dykhouse getting a full off-season to improve their games... Or how exciting it is for calvin to have gotten some bonified D1/D2 caliber recruits...

Albion is still the team to beat and without a huge step in the right direction by another team, should run away with this conference. That's assuming a season happens. I think Team COVID might be the current most likely team to steal this season's banner from the Brits.

:o

I expect Calvin will win the league.

I was hoping you'd catch that! :)
Let's go Dutchmen!

2015-2016 1-&-Done Tournament Fantasy League Co-Champion

Dutchman17

Hope has announced they will be having in-person class in the fall - starting a couple weeks early and ending the semester before Thanksgiving.  Long ways to go, but it's a little positive news towards college athletics being played this year.  Would expect many colleges to start adapting a similar schedule as well

Pat Coleman

There are already many schools who have announced adopting a similar schedule. Here's hoping it happens.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

formerd3db

Dutchman17:

The MIAA is to have a conference meeting this week to "finalize" the potential scenarios for football and at ;east the fall sports. So we should know something soon.  I do know that the hope is (no pun intended) to have everything finalized by July 15th at the very latest.  I can share with you that I have also been informed that there will be no "non-traditional" fall practice/game seasons for baseball, softball and lacrosse this fall.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Dark Knight

Apparently some MIAA schools have agreed to have fall seasons where 80% of games are played in-conference (or in-state?) to minimize out of state travel. There could be some canceled road trips.

calvin_grad

Calvin isn't changing the start of semester date, but kids stay home after the Thanksgiving break through the Christmas holiday.  The last 2 weeks of class and exams before Christmas will be remote.

Dutchman17

Quote from: formerd3db on June 22, 2020, 03:19:48 PM
Dutchman17:

The MIAA is to have a conference meeting this week to "finalize" the potential scenarios for football and at ;east the fall sports. So we should know something soon.  I do know that the hope is (no pun intended) to have everything finalized by July 15th at the very latest.  I can share with you that I have also been informed that there will be no "non-traditional" fall practice/game seasons for baseball, softball and lacrosse this fall.
Good to know, thanks. I would really like to watch some Hope football in the fall

Dutchman17

Quote from: calvin_grad on June 22, 2020, 03:44:14 PM
Calvin isn't changing the start of semester date, but kids stay home after the Thanksgiving break through the Christmas holiday.  The last 2 weeks of class and exams before Christmas will be remote.
Opting for remote, online exams doesn't make much sense to me.. Students must be happy to get some easy grades

sac

ie basketball   WOTS is the MIAA is taking a wait and see what happens in the Fall approach to a full Winter sports schedule.  Extensive travel is probably going to be frowned upon.  Winter sports is pretty in limbo across the country I would think.  There probably is a date where things have to be set in ink so to speak but I wouldn't know what that is.  I'm sure it depends on how things go early on with Fall sports.

The decision about non-conference basketball games will probably be made for them by other conferences either limiting their own schools to just conference games or canceling the seasons all together.  The NESCAC's Bowdoin College has already cancelled Fall sports entirely, and is saying earliest date of Jan 1 for Winter sports.   The NESCAC following suit would carry a lot of weight in D3.

More or less, prepare yourselves for an MIAA season of only conference games in January and February. :-\

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The rest of the NESCAC will not follow suit from what I have been told. There will be other NESCAC members who do follow in Bowdoin's footsteps, but not the entire conference. Not everyone agrees with this. If the rest of the NESCAC was following suit, I think you would have seen a full NESCAC announcement on it. Last Friday, the conference stated they respect each institutions situation to do what is best for them - indicating as well that there will be some in the conference who will or intend to hold sports this fall and such.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

sac

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on June 22, 2020, 04:47:01 PM
The rest of the NESCAC will not follow suit from what I have been told. There will be other NESCAC members who do follow in Bowdoin's footsteps, but not the entire conference. Not everyone agrees with this. If the rest of the NESCAC was following suit, I think you would have seen a full NESCAC announcement on it. Last Friday, the conference stated they respect each institutions situation to do what is best for them - indicating as well that there will be some in the conference who will or intend to hold sports this fall and such.

At some point too many dominoes fall to make your schedule practical.  yes?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: sac on June 22, 2020, 04:48:37 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on June 22, 2020, 04:47:01 PM

At some point too many dominoes fall to make your schedule practical.  yes?

I think programs and departments will become more creative to find partners - maybe even playing some multiple times. The limits like playing minimums have been reduced to try and help, plus many are more interested in making sure student-athletes are engaged and active than worrying about anything else like championships and ideal schedules.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Grutte Dirk

Quote from: Dutchman17 on June 22, 2020, 03:47:15 PMOpting for remote, online exams doesn't make much sense to me.. Students must be happy to get some easy grades
Based on this past spring term; easy is not the way to describe the online experience. Assuming by 'easy grade' you mean a 'solid grade'.
Bûter, brea en griene tsiis; wa't dat net sizze kin, is gjin oprjochte Fries.