MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Gregory Sager on May 08, 2017, 04:02:59 PM
"Annoyed"? Try confused, Tom. The only people on the entire North Central campus who might understand that joke are the members of the Cardinals soccer team ... and who knows if even they would get it?

If the school and Connor started promoting him as CR7, I have no doubt Ronald and his reps would send a nice letter to that little school in Illinois informing them of infringing on the CR7 brand. When Sheboygan built their baseball/soccer complex (simply a bunch of fields), they had to ask the powers-that-be if it was ok to name the place "Field of Dreams."
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Gregory Sager

That's my point, though. Nobody at North Central would ever refer to Raridon as "CR7", because nobody there aside from perhaps a few NCC soccer players understand the reference, and therefore nobody would've started that nickname in the first place.

I know that you're a passionate pro soccer fan, Tom, but I think that you may be underestimating just how obscure foreign soccer references are to the average American sports fan, let alone to the average American in general ... even when it's a reference to a player as internationally huge as Cristian Ronaldo.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2013/03/02/cristiano-ronaldo-and-lionel-messi-rule-the-world-but-not-the-u-s/#70a11a7a44a5

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/11664633/Americans-still-dont-know-who-Cristiano-Ronaldo-or-Leo-Messi-are.html

Even if you've an American for whom the name "Cristian Ronaldo" brings a glimmer of recognition, you're still not likely to associate him with the nickname "CR7". Most people would probably guess that it's the name of an automobile.

(Also, Raridon could never wear the jersey number 7 because it's against the rules to wear numbers 6, 7, 8, or 9 in college basketball, but I suppose that that's beside the point here.)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

iwumichigander

Pat Coleman

Quote from: iwumichigander on May 08, 2017, 07:18:19 PM
Who?  :(

Connor Raridon? You remember him -- that's the guy whose absence North Central was constantly forced to adjust to all season.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Mr. Ypsi

I test-drove a Honda CR7 the other day - nice little car. ;)

Oh, wait - that was a Honda CRV.  Nevermind! :-[

Mr. Ypsi

I admit that I originally missed the CR7 reference (though I guessed it was a reference to Cristian Ronaldo. 

He's wildly talented (may have even passed Messi as #1 in the world) but I've never liked the guy.  He is (or at least was) the world's most flagrant flopper and whiner.  He has never committed a penalty in his entire career, and gets fouled (and nearly fatally injured) every time an opponent gets within shouting distance of him.

kiko

Quote from: Gregory Sager on May 08, 2017, 06:22:31 PM
That's my point, though. Nobody at North Central would ever refer to Raridon as "CR7", because nobody there aside from perhaps a few NCC soccer players understand the reference, and therefore nobody would've started that nickname in the first place.

I know that you're a passionate pro soccer fan, Tom, but I think that you may be underestimating just how obscure foreign soccer references are to the average American sports fan, let alone to the average American in general ... even when it's a reference to a player as internationally huge as Cristian Ronaldo.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2013/03/02/cristiano-ronaldo-and-lionel-messi-rule-the-world-but-not-the-u-s/#70a11a7a44a5

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/11664633/Americans-still-dont-know-who-Cristiano-Ronaldo-or-Leo-Messi-are.html

Even if you've an American for whom the name "Cristian Ronaldo" brings a glimmer of recognition, you're still not likely to associate him with the nickname "CR7". Most people would probably guess that it's the name of an automobile.

(Also, Raridon could never wear the jersey number 7 because it's against the rules to wear numbers 6, 7, 8, or 9 in college basketball, but I suppose that that's beside the point here.)

One, it's Cristiano Ronaldo.  Let's not be messy with his name.

And two, I think you are badly underestimating his q-rating.  His celebrity appeal spans well beyond the futbol world, and I have to believe that familiarity with his nickname does so to some extent as well.

Gregory Sager

Kiko, I would dearly love to make a bet with you about the name recognition of Ronaldo among the American public, but I have no idea how that could come about. One thing's for sure, though: His nickname recognition is extremely low in the U.S. Heck, even Chuck didn't recognize "CR7", and he's a soccer fan.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

AndOne

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on May 08, 2017, 03:47:00 PM
Quote from: AndOne on May 08, 2017, 02:58:30 PM
Quote from: iwu70 on May 07, 2017, 10:28:44 PM
AO, surely looks like NCC should be right there at the top of the pre-season rankings with Augie.  A very powerful team coming back, esp. if Raridon is fully healthy again

Have a good summer, all CCIW chatsters.

IWU'70

CR has been playing in open gym since NCC returned from spring break about 4 weeks ago and looks to be fully healed. He has full range of motion, flexion, and extension.

He should really just change his jersey number to 7.

CR7 I'm sure someone might get a little annoyed though (soccer reference).
Quote from: Gregory Sager on May 08, 2017, 04:02:59 PM
"Annoyed"? Try confused, Tom. The only people on the entire North Central campus who might understand that joke are the members of the Cardinals soccer team ... and who knows if even they would get it?
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on May 08, 2017, 08:26:14 PM
I test-drove a Honda CR7 the other day - nice little car. ;)

Oh, wait - that was a Honda CRV.  Nevermind! :-[

Not being anywhere close to being a soccer fan, I must admit that my initial reaction to Greek Tragedy's post was that I wondered if he was making some type of a comparison between Connor and some obscure sports car.  :o  :)  8-)

Greek Tragedy

Sometimes you take posts too seriously, Greg. AndOne originally referred to Connor Raridon as CR. I just thought it would be funny if the school would start referring to him as CR7. As you stated, only the soccer team might get the reference and if no one did, more power to Connor and his potential nickname.

As an avid soccer fan, trust me, I know how the general public feels and knows about soccer around the world and I have no problem with that. But as kiko said, soccer is huge to the minority of US citizens. I'm never going to try to promote soccer to anyone.

I don't think I ever implied that anyone would get the reference, I simply stated that Ronaldo's team would no doubt get wind of Connor's CR7 nickname, if it were ever come to fruition. In fact, based on your opinion, the lack of name recognition, Ronaldo's team would probably let Connor use the nickname CR7, if the NCAA allowed the number to be used.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

AndOne

Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 08, 2017, 08:17:01 PM
Quote from: iwumichigander on May 08, 2017, 07:18:19 PM
Who?  :(

Connor Raridon? You remember him -- that's the guy whose absence North Central was constantly forced to adjust to all season.

No, not all season. Only from the 8th game on.
That is unless you feel that the Cardinals didn't need to make any adjustments despite the loss of a pre-season All-American?  ???

Pat Coleman

Quote from: AndOne on May 08, 2017, 10:34:48 PM
That is unless you feel that the Cardinals didn't need to make any adjustments despite the loss of a pre-season All-American?  ???

On the off chance that you actually don't get my point, it was the fact that you drumbeat this all season even after they had two-thirds of a season to actually, you know, adjust.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on May 08, 2017, 10:31:03 PM
Sometimes you take posts too seriously, Greg. AndOne originally referred to Connor Raridon as CR. I just thought it would be funny if the school would start referring to him as CR7. As you stated, only the soccer team might get the reference and if no one did, more power to Connor and his potential nickname.

As an avid soccer fan, trust me, I know how the general public feels and knows about soccer around the world and I have no problem with that. But as kiko said, soccer is huge to the minority of US citizens. I'm never going to try to promote soccer to anyone.

I don't think I ever implied that anyone would get the reference, I simply stated that Ronaldo's team would no doubt get wind of Connor's CR7 nickname, if it were ever come to fruition. In fact, based on your opinion, the lack of name recognition, Ronaldo's team would probably let Connor use the nickname CR7, if the NCAA allowed the number to be used.

Well, to be completely and totally honest, Tom, I jumped on this issue more or less to forestall iwu70 from yammering on about the Illinois Wesleyan women's lacrosse team. ;)

At least this discussion was peripherally related to CCIW men's basketball as long as there was a tenuous connection to Connor Raridon in it.

Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 08, 2017, 10:49:30 PM
Quote from: AndOne on May 08, 2017, 10:34:48 PM

On the off chance that you actually don't get my point, it was the fact that you drumbeat this all season even after they had two-thirds of a season to actually, you know, adjust.

kiko

Quote from: Gregory Sager on May 08, 2017, 11:19:32 PM
Quote from: Greek Tragedy on May 08, 2017, 10:31:03 PM

Well, to be completely and totally honest, Tom, I jumped on this issue more or less to forestall iwu70 from yammering on about the Illinois Wesleyan women's lacrosse team. ;)

At least this discussion was peripherally related to CCIW men's basketball as long as there was a tenuous connection to Connor Raridon in it.

Sometimes I feel like I read the alumni magazine for two CCIW institutions rather than just one...

kiko

Quote from: Gregory Sager on May 08, 2017, 09:20:49 PM
Kiko, I would dearly love to make a bet with you about the name recognition of Ronaldo among the American public, but I have no idea how that could come about. One thing's for sure, though: His nickname recognition is extremely low in the U.S. Heck, even Chuck didn't recognize "CR7", and he's a soccer fan.

Ypsi is family here, or something like that, but how many times has Titan Q had to correct him on things related to IWU basketball?  I wouldn't necessarily choose to use him as a barometer for awareness of broader cultural trends.

And we'll have to just disagree on this point.  I think you'd be surprised at how well known he and his nickname are known in selected circles -- and they extend beyond the soccer world.

I am anything but a Ronaldo fan -- he is massively talented but is IMO also a preening and petulant walking ego.  That said, Connor Raridon can appropriate that nickname when, like Ronaldo, he is widely regarded one of the two best players in his sport.