Liberty League

Started by Pat Cummings, March 01, 2005, 07:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ucaafan

anyone know if Hamilton was invited to the ECAC's?

Justin

Hamilton doesn't compete in the ECAC's as it's against NESCAC policy. NESCAC schools, as of I believe 2001 were allowed to receive at-large bids to the NCAA's and in-turn this officially ended NESCAC participation in the ECAC's. I understand Hamilton doesn't participate in the NESCAC for basketball; however, they are still bound by NESCAC rules in all sports.

ucaafan

Justin,

Thanks for the update. Had no idea about the NESCAC restriction on the ECAC's. So if no NCAA for Hamilton then no postseason.

d-mac

Basketball in Division III at this time of year... is so SWEET!!!
32 teams still have a chance at two national titles... and many teams weren't expected to get this far.
Tonight, a preview of this weekend's Sweet 16 action and preparations for the Final Four... on "http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville"!!!

Wooster, Wittenburg, and Illinois Wesleyan are out of the men's bracket!
So, who in the world is still left in the Men's Road to Salem?
Well... UW-Stevens Point, Amherst, and St. John Fisher.

Trinity (TX) is still alive. Most thought they would be playing IWU on Friday night, instead they face Hanover. Tonight, we will chat with Coach Pat Cunningham about his Tigers. Their road to the Final Four is going to be a tough one.

Then there is John Carrol, who defeated Wittenburg to earn their Sweet 16 berth. Coach Mike Moran seems to have his Blue Streaks team clicking on all the right cylinders, having won the OAC before their run in the NCAA's. We will chat with Coach Moran about his upcoming game against Albion... who got by on what some say is a questionable win over Wooster.

On the women's side, not too many upsets, even though DePauw and Buena Vista were eliminated on their Road to Virginia Beach.

Wesleyan continues to surprise as they took out Staten Island to earn their Sweet 16 game against Springfield. Coach Kate Mullen will join us live on the air to talk about how this season's finish isn't what the Cardinals planned on... and how they're looking to keep dancing.

George Fox will be earning a lot of frequent flyer miles this weekend. Coach Scott Rueck has his Bruins playing very good basketball and will take on St. Benedict, who upset Buena Vista. But how are the Bruins going to handle flying across the entire length of the nation for the game(s)... we will ask Coach Rueck.

And Salem is getting ready for their tenth Men's Final Four. ODAC Commissioner Brad Bankston will join us live on the air to let us know how the preparations are going. How you can get tickets! And what else you can expect and should do while in the great city of Salem (and Roanoke), Virginia.

Oh... and of course we will chat with our regional reporters - Gordon Mann will actually join us in studio. And we will certainly take your questions and comments on the air and try and cover a very busy week of basketball.

So come join us online and LIVE from 8PM - 10PM Eastern!

"http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville": only place where you can listen or chat about Division III Basketball in the nation.

Check out the "http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville" page for information on how you can listen... and be a part of the show.

Justin

It appears that the Hamilton bball schedule has been posted. Schedule features two exciting new tournaments and a few new non-conference matchups. The tournaments look particularly exciting, and I must say, as a fan, this is the best schedule I have seen in 3 years of watching the Continentals.

UCAAHoops21

Anyone have any thoughts on how the Liberty League will shape up this year?

Top five teams?
Best players?
Coaches or programs to watch?

bed

best teams.....

hamilton, hobart, and union.

best coach:  bob montana
worst coach:  tobin anderson

best player:  Giorgi Chavleishvili
                     John Cagianello
                     Tsakane Ngobeni

UCAAHoops21

Is that true that Hamilton has the worst coach and one of the best teams???  What does Union have to replace Bruce and what are the chances for Skidmore, RPI or Clarkson?

Anyone want to throw out any early season rankings?

thebear

Clarkson played Potsdam even for the first half in the North Country tournament at Clarkson.  Clarkson has a 20 person roster, with nearly everyone back from last year, plus 10 new faces.

In season opening tournament, PG Adam Larkin didn't play, apparently recovering from an injury.  Also sidelined was prize recruit 6'6" 240# Elson Pickering from Frederick Douglass Academy in NYC.

Clarkson badly outrebounded the much smaller Potsdam team, but shot very poorly, and without a true point guard, struggled at times to get the ball inside.  Potsdam actually led by 21 before emptying the bench with about 2:00 to play.

The Knights have a steady stream of 6'4" - 6'6" inside/wing players who give them a lot of length and rebounding.  If you shoot poorly against Clarkson, it could be a long night, because they can rebound from every spot on the floor.

If Larkin and Pickering return to the lineup, the Knights have enough talent to surprise people, especially teams on a two night North Country Swing.

Clarkson plays their annual non tourney game with Potsdam on Thursday night, so we'll know soon how well they adjusted to what they saw in the first contest.
"Just the Facts, Ma'am, Just the Facts"
- Sgt. Joe Friday

unionalum

Union will replace Bruce inside with 6'5 soph Kyle Grimm.  Grimm played more and more minutes as the season went on last year and provices a defensive prescence, and hard nosed rebounding.  Also, in the mold of past Union big men, he has range out to the 3 pt line.

Although they havent gotten major minutes early, Union has a deep freshman class.

When it comes down to it, Caganello, Scordato and Murphy will lead this team.

radiomike

WEOS will broadcast in game PBP of  Hobart-Ithaca during Hobart Hockey beginning at 4PM on Saturday December 3. www.weos.org on the web or 89.7 FM in the Finger Lakes or 88.1 FM in Ithaca

radiomike

FYI...Next week, in addition to WEOS Radio, UPN-TV in Rochester will broadcast the Hobart-Rochester game next Wednesday night.

Shooter

This is classic. So Hamilton is one of the better teams in the league with one of the worst coaches? I'm wondering how you would measure whether or not someone is a good coach? Just firing from the hip one would think it would have to be wins, correct? Take a look at his DIII record overall, especially in the frozen tundra we call Clarkson. The water cooler argument is going to be that he is a great recruiter and has good players. Well, and once again i'm just spit balling, but I have this feeling that good players won't play for bad coaches, at least not very long- let alone transfer schools for them. If Anderson is such a "bad coach" perhaps we should look at the number of players that have transferred out of his program..................I'm not good at math but the number I keep coming up with is 0. I computed it several different ways and each time I came up with the same number. I think we should sit back and watch the next three years and draw our conclusions from there. I have this feeling in three years no one will even remember how to spell Murhy, oh wait I've already forgot!

bed

Shooter,

Tobin Anderson (Hamilton's coach) is a good recruiter (b/c he'll say anything) to get guys to play for him.

Let me also say that your attempt at humor, knocking one of the greatest coaches in Division 3 History, Tom Murphy, is not funny.  Murphy is beloved by his players and also by his peers (something that can't be said of Anderson).

Anderson's success at Hamilton (if one wants to call last season and this season success) is due in large part to the job Murphy did recruiting.  With the exception of Nick Jones and Phil Valenti, the core guys were recruited by the last coach.

When Muprhy left the team, the school interviewed a number of candidates for the job, including Bob Montana (of Union), and it is beyond dispute, that Coach Anderson was not the 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd choice of Hamilton basketball players and alumni.

Coach Anderson would be better served not playing favorites with his Clarkson transfers (Jones and Valenti), as well as the new guys on the roster this year.

If Anderson could just realize how to utilize Ngobeni and give him the minutes that he deserves, I believe Hamilton would be almost unstoppable.  With the combination of Giorgi Chavleishvili  and Tsakane Ngobeni up front, the team would be very hard to matchup with, as well as having Jones in the mix, with Welchons and Peck.

I though Anderson had a poor 1st year at Hamilton, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt this year, and see how he does, but as of now, I'd rather have a few other coaches in the Liberty League leading my team ahead of Anderson.

John McGraw

***Broadcast Alert***

Tuesday night, the Hamilton Continentals play host to the SUNYIT Wildcats at the Scott Field House. It will be the first trip into the Scott Field House for current SUNYIT Head Coach and former Hamilton Head Coach Tom Murphy. It should be a fantastic night of basketball in Clinton. Pre-game is set for 7:45pm EST with the tip-off at 8:00pm. Time subject to change depending on the length of the women's game before-hand.

http://www.bcmonsters.com