D-3 Players in the Pros

Started by Knightstalker, August 18, 2005, 02:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K-Mack

Hmm, you would think with Urban being in the Seahawks system would give him a chance to stick. They seem to like him, based on how much he plays.

I can never get too much of a read on the NFL preseason and what different things done during it mean to different teams. Guess it just comes down to coaches' gut feelings or whatever.

There's this running list on our FAQ board, but we'd like to keep it updated, so keep pointing us in the direction of what you know. I talked briefly with an NFL scout, or scouting service, about keeping us informed of such matters and giving us a read on who has a chance to go pro in the future, as it's not one of our strong suits ... but not much came of it.

Anyway, I'll try to revive that ... and here's the link to the list:

http://www.d3football.com/faq.php?answer&category=General&id=30
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: K-Mack on August 24, 2005, 03:36:18 PM
Hmm, you would think with Urban being in the Seahawks system would give him a chance to stick. They seem to like him, based on how much he plays.

I can never get too much of a read on the NFL preseason and what different things done during it mean to different teams. Guess it just comes down to coaches' gut feelings or whatever.

Keith, all I know is what I read in the various media and fan bulletin boards.  The general vibe on Jerheme seems much less positive all around.  Holmgren has been more critical this year; of course, that could be because he's trying to see how the kid reacts and is taking him more seriously (e.g. last year he wasn't "worthy of criticism").  Unlike last year, when just about everyone was dropping the ball, this year's WRs are doing a better job of holding the ball.  Maybe it's because they got rid of a locker-room cancer (Koren Robinson), maybe people are finally getting a clue after two years of dropped pass after dropped pass. 

There's no doubt that each drop from this point on in a playing situation will be another nail in the coffin, barring a huge reversal from people like Parthon and DJ Hackett.  Hackett seems to be the golden boy so far this preseason.  That can change in a hurry.

It p*sses me off no end that this was two straight Dallas-Seattle games held in the Pacific NW - and should Jerheme make the squad, this year's regular season game is ALSO in Seattle.   >:(  Well, and making it worse, I was actually IN SEATTLE last year the weekend of the game, but other comittments made it impossible to attend.  !!!!!!!

pios

With all the talk of Urban and seeing bfb spell his name, it reminded me that Monday night they did a layout of the current receivers on the Seahwaks roster.  They not only had Urban's name spelled as Jerome Urban, they had him listed as 8 years of experience.  I thought he only had 3 years of experience.  Correct me if I am wrong and there is another Urban on the roster, but from what I could see this is more bad information about the D3 players that do get a shot in the NFL.

smedindy

Colts put Travis Brown on IR. That means there are just three QBs on the roster: Manning, Sorgi and Arth. However, there is a clamor to get a 'veteran' backup in place. We shall see...

Ron Boerger

Good luck to Arth!  Any "veteran" QB available at this point isn't worth having.  Let someone new have a chance to develop!

Quote from: pios on August 25, 2005, 09:24:37 AM
...   Correct me if I am wrong and there is another Urban on the roster, but from what I could see this is more bad information about the D3 players that do get a shot in the NFL.

Nope, just the one, and this is his third year.  "Jerheme" (pronounced Jeremy) throws a lot of people.

FWIW, the 'hawks current depth chart lists Urban #3 at the second WR slot.  They normally carry six WRs.  He needs a good game before the cutdown to 65 next Tuesday.

onearmedscot

Gustavus WR Ryan Hoag and former Mr. Irrelevent from the NFL Draft will get his best shot as a pro to claim a roster spot tonight as he has gotten the nod at starter to return kicks.

OneArmedScot
2014 MWC North Division Champs
November 22nd, 2014:  NCAA 1st-round playoff game @ Clemens Stadium
Go Scots!

Ron Boerger

Hoag had a fair catch on a punt and two kick returns for 40 yards total. 

Two articles give Urban's situation some perspective.  The Seattle Post-Intelligencer has a whole feature (tho' the writer gets the school wrong AGAIN) and the Times devotes a couple of paragraphs.  Both quote Holmgren as saying Urban is "one of my favorite guys on the team."   That said, the P-I says  Urban "is in the battle of his life" per Holmgren.   

Ron Boerger

The P-I author who got Trinity U wrong actually wrote me a very nice apology this afternoon.  Nice.   :)

Urban was thrown at on the first series of the game, didn't see much more playing time until the last series of the half when he had a nice catch (27 yds) on a timing route with Hasslebeck on a third-and-15.   DJ Hackett, who is apparently the main competition for the last spot, has two catches for 25 yards and an offensive pass interference call against.  He also sprained his knee late in the half. 

3rd quarter:  Urban has two consecutive catches (24, 5 yds) to get Seattle into the redzone on the first drive of the second half.  First units still mostly in. 

4th quarter:   Urban out for a couple of series while Jurevicus, Parthon, and Taco Wallace get some PT.  Comes in for the last scoring drive of the nite, catches another pass for 10 yds, a 6-yd catch to the 3-yard line is wiped out when the Hawks elect to instead take a holding penalty (and first down) to the five.   For the night, 4 catches, 66 yds, 3 first downs, and no drops.    ;D

Urban gets interviewed on Seahawks radio after the game, where the play-by-play guys call it "Trinity College."  Sigh. 

historymajor

Urb's cookin'.... he's got heart and Holmgren loves heart!

reality check

Tom Arth did not play in the Colts/Broncos game but appears to be their curent #3 quarterback. 

Jamal Robertson survived the first round of cuts by the Panthers.  Six running backs left in camp.
OAC Champs: 1942 (one title ties us with Ohio State)
OAC Runners-Up: 2017, 2016, 2015, 2010, 2009, 2005, 2004, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1982, 1941 (Stupid Mount Union!)
MOL Champs: 1952, 1950

Knightstalker

Ethan Brooks was cut by the Jets on Saturday.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

res ipsa loquitur

Any word on Alex Bell of Hobart?  Last I knew he got a shot with the Giants. 

I've been so out of the loop, don't even have any idea when final NFL cuts are made..........

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pat Coleman

He was cut before camp, unfortunately.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ron Boerger

Seattle released two WRs today - Marque Davis and Jason Willis.  They still have to make 22 more cuts by Sunday - including ten NFL Europe roster exemptions that go away on that date. 

That leaves 9 WRs, of which six will probably make the squad. 

Pat Coleman

Brockport's Josh Warner released by Redskins today.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.