FB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

olddog

Quote from: Oxy1995 on August 22, 2017, 05:52:59 PM
Quote from: olddog on August 22, 2017, 04:32:24 PM
Oxy, which coach was always cussing at the defense on the sideline, the DC or HC...Bottom line is the school has a new culture and athletics is not part of it. Honestly the offense could throw the ball but not run it anymore due to a poor O line. Do tapped out against UR tired of getting hit. I was shocked he said he was done at his last home game.

I wonder if this culture change will impact any donors ? I have not doubt those kids hating on the National Anthem will be good for some huge donations down the road.

I do know that the current situation has had an impact on the annual donation my wife and I would give to the school.  The same is true for a number of alumi I know.  One of the reasons the AD hired Redell was she thought it would appease the alumi pissed at Widolff's firing. 

I am happy that there has been a coaching change.  Being ranked dead last in total defense is ridiculous.  The timing of everything and the A.D.'s reaction bothers me greatly.

There is more to the story, ...but I am sure the parents will be sipping their wine before and after the games....
California, Where no cares who is in charge and zero accountability

olddog

BTW, read the SCIAC review in Kickoff, great job on the SCIAC this year. I think Pomona is the third place team. 

Pat, I think you guys did much better on your UR review this year, good job. I think you hit the right points, as you can see UR just cannot have a lot of injuries. Let's blame it on Maynard not giving up much info.

Sad to see the decline in the conference in the rankings. If the SCIAC/NWC pre-season game arrangement goes thru it will only hurt the conference's perception, since one less game for a SCIAC school to play someone tough. It also hurts the NWC too in the same regards. NWC schools playing SCIAC bottom school does not help your SOS too.

Gray Fox

Quote from: OCguy on August 22, 2017, 06:57:07 PM
Widolff coached at Chapman for 1 or 2 years and i couldn't say more positive things about the guy. Class act all around. If i was an Oxy alumni i would be frustrated as well.
He never coached there.

The Oxy AD hates football.  She has since football was so successful under DW.
The small travel squad to UPS will give her more money to give to other sports without much success.  Other good schools seem to have good athletics.  All of the NESCAC schools for example.
Fierce When Roused

MonroviaCat

Quote from: Gray Fox on August 22, 2017, 08:17:53 PM
Widolff coached at Chapman for 1 or 2 years and i couldn't say more positive things about the guy. Class act all around. If i was an Oxy alumni i would be frustrated as well.
He never coached there.

The small travel squad to UPS will give her more money to give to other sports without much success.  Other good schools seem to have good athletics.  All of the NESCAC schools for example.
http://www.chapmanathletics.com/sports/fball/coaches/Widolff?view=bio
Go Cats!

OCguy

Thanks Cat - I read the write up about Chapman in the Kickoff. Pretty good job and what i believe to be a fairly accurate assessment of this years team. If the Qb shows up and uses the weapons around him and the linebackers and DB's cover their asses off we can compete. If not...we will be middle of the pack.
Lets hope that Chaptwon can figure it out.

olddog

He never coached there.

Oxy is a reflection of current liberal art colleges and it makes me sick, the message does these kids no favors in the real world. UR is slowly inching towards the same direction, my $upport will dry up too. Problem is they turned off the core students/parents with that direction and enrollment dropped.
BTW read Chapman's current undergrad # is up to 6100 kids.

Oxy1995

He never coached there.

There were major violations with the women's volleyball program.  She used that as an excuse to fire Widolff for a minor infraction.  She called it a major violation, but that was a lie.  She promised to release the NCAA report to the alumni.  She never did and later claimed it was private.  The NCAA reports are public information and can be found on their website.  The NCAA findings are very interesting.  Here they are
https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/miCaseView/report?id=102388

Purple Heys

From the report...
"In early April 2012 the former head football coach and his assistants reviewed a list of prospective student-athletes from the two previous recruiting cycles whose names were in the football recruiting database. After deleting names of prospects that were known to the coaches to already be on the roster of another four-year institution, but not researching the matter beyond the coaches' personal knowledge, the former head football coach composed a mass recruiting email that was sent to 1,604 individuals. It asked that all those already on a team ignore it, then went on to ask those who miss football to consider transferring to the institution. The mass email was sent out on April 12, 2012."

Poll Question
1) Was "The former head football coach" a lazy (or stupid) recruiter? Is it not too difficult to assign each of your staff a batch of players to research?

2) Did "The former head football coach", figuring he had plausible deniability, because; A) they discussed a "known rostered" list, B) put a disclaimer on the email, cast the net and hoped for the best...figuring the worst that could happen was a slap on the wrist?

3) Was "The former head football coach", a cagey dude looking to skirt rules he knew full well but then plays the plausible deniability card?

I have no perspective on the personality dynamics between Former Head Football Coach and the AD, but it seems to me that unless there were other progressive discipline things in the works, that this was a pretty thin rationale to dismiss a relatively successful coach.

Let me clarify that I agree that it was a violation and I could see why any opposing coach would be pissed...I also agree that some form a punishment is warranted...On its own it's hard to to justify dismissal.  Taken as a pattern of behavior in a progressive discipline scenario, could easily be the proverbial last straw...
You can't leave me....all the plants will die.

Gray Fox

Quote from: MonroviaCat on August 22, 2017, 10:28:12 PM
He never coached there.

http://www.chapmanathletics.com/sports/fball/coaches/Widolff?view=bio
Thank you.  I guess I have lived  out of stat too long. :-[
Fierce When Roused

Gray Fox

Quote from: Oxy1995 on August 23, 2017, 03:22:21 PM
He never coached there.

There were major violations with the women's volleyball program.  She used that as an excuse to fire Widolff for a minor infraction.  She called it a major violation, but that was a lie.  She promised to release the NCAA report to the alumni.  She never did and later claimed it was private.  The NCAA reports are public information and can be found on their website.  The NCAA findings are very interesting.  Here they are
Thank you.
Fierce When Roused

Gray Fox

Quote from: Purple Heys on August 23, 2017, 07:12:19 PM
From the report...
"

I have no perspective on the personality dynamics between Former Head Football Coach and the AD, but it seems to me that unless there were other progressive discipline things in the works, that this was a pretty thin rationale to dismiss a relatively successful coach.

He was actually a very successful coach.
Fierce When Roused

Oleblue

Gray Fox

Quote from: Oleblue on August 23, 2017, 08:48:19 PM
Did Cushman bring anyone in to help coach at Oxy?
Welcome to the SCIAC board..

Apparently not.  It looks like some new hires are listed.
Fierce When Roused

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Oxy1995 on August 23, 2017, 03:22:21 PM
He never coached there.

Some might disagree with me (and that is fine) but these issues are just as much of the AD's problem as they are the coaches.  The AD MUST ensure their coaches are 100% up to date on rules/regulations so things like this don't happen.  These are such small schools the "open-door policy" must be there.

D O.C.

This is a football board but in defense of Tigermania the women's lacrosse did finish .500 last year.

Harkening back to salad days of winning football seasons while sitting on cement at night trying to see the play into the corner of the far end zone I would like to thank OxyBob for introducing me to the (relatively) new AD and her wife.

Careful with the wine sipping olddog. LINFIELD offers a minor in Wine Studies.

http://www.greatnorthwestwine.com/2017/06/26/linfield-hires-greg-jones-to-lead-wine-studies-program/