MBB: University Athletic Association

Started by Allen M. Karon, February 21, 2005, 08:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

Quote from: WUPHF on May 22, 2018, 03:53:52 PMI would have referred to the SUNY schools as the colleges of the forgotten Americans, but indeed, lumpenproletariate is a way better descriptor.

Some of this, I've come to realize since becoming a Midwesterner, is a regional mentality. Because the Northeast is chock-full of highly selective institutions of ancient pedigree (as compared to other parts of the country), there's a somewhat greater sense of class consciousness filtered into the general idea of meritocracy surrounding academic cachet and school selectivity. It doesn't mean that high-status colleges are entirely seen as gateways into the cultural elite, but there's more of that mentality in the Northeast than there is in the Midwest -- and more of the ancillary sense as well that public schools (with a few exceptions, such as UMass-Amherst) are factories for perpetuating the lower middle class.

Then again, I'm looking at that through the lens of a seventeen-year-old upstate New Yorker from four decades ago. For all I know, the prevailing sentiment in the Northeast may now be the same as it is in the Midwest, which is that affordability is one of the biggest drivers in picking a public school over a private school, if not the biggest.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

y_jack_lok

"...factories for perpetuating the lower middle class." It's sad to think a perception exists that that's the best people might be able to do with a four year degree from a public college/university.

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Mr. Mo

I think I can speak for a good chunk of the Midwest when I say that we generally have no interest in "gateways into the cultural elite" of the Northeast. 

WUPHF

A few of our local broadcast media outlets covered the hiring of Coach Juckem including Fox 2.

It is a nice interview, though the best part is the b-roll footage of a Washington University offensive set from Salem which culminated in a Sean Wallis pass to Aaron Thompson and lay-up at the 1:23 mark.  So sweet!

http://fox2now.com/2018/06/03/new-era-at-washu-as-juckem-takes-over-mens-basketball-program/?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+New+Content+(Feed)&utm_content=5b14b892f3d23e00077794f8&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Ole Ollie

According to the Brandeis basketball website, former assistant coach Sean Tabb has been named as interim head coach.  http://brandeisjudges.com/sports/mbkb/coaches/SeanTabb?view=bio
Before coming to Brandeis, Tabb was an assistant and then interim head coach for two years at Trinity and then he was an assistant at Brown. 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Basically following the road I thought would be taken... go with an interim for the season ahead. That allows the investigation to conclude, the status of the AD to be decided, and either a new AD or stability to be gained and then open up the job next season and go anew from there.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

WUPHF

Washington University has announced their next class of basketball players.

I'll have to think about this, but on paper, this may be the best overall recruiting class in some time.

They have also added an Assistant Coach to the roster.  Kevin Dux played for Coach Juckem at Coe before serving as his assistant for two years.  Dux was a starter on the Kohawks squad visited the Field House in 2007 and trailed Washington University by one possession in the final minute before the Bears pulled away.

http://bearsports.wustl.edu/sports/mbkb/2018-19/releases/20180705gegeuv

WUPHF

Basketball season is four months away as of today!

At least for Washington University fans...

The Washington University schedule has been updated with the three other teams in the Lopata Classic.  It will be Washington University and Pomona-Pitzer along with Alma and UW-Platteville.

hopefan

Quote from: WUPHF on July 10, 2018, 12:25:03 PM
Basketball season is four months away as of today!

At least for Washington University fans...

The Washington University schedule has been updated with the three other teams in the Lopata Classic.  It will be Washington University and Pomona-Pitzer along with Alma and UW-Platteville.

Platteville, Pomona Pitzer and........       .....  Alma...... Alma?... Geesh, that's a little disappointing....
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

WUPHF

Washington University can take care of business against Pomona Pitzer and then play Platteville.  Should be another great tournament.

hopefan

Quote from: WUPHF on July 10, 2018, 05:19:51 PM
Washington University can take care of business against Pomona Pitzer and then play Platteville.  Should be another great tournament.

"Great" might have included Hope or Calvin or Marietta or John Carroll or Ohio Wez, or Wittenberg, or Hanover as a 4th team....  a 4th team that knowledgeable D3 fans would like to see....   Alma, well, hardly qualifies as that...
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

WUPHF

I thought the Lopata Classic was a great tournament last season, but what do I know about basketball?

What I do know: Wabash had a terrible record the season before. 

Webster was only slightly better (.500) coming in to the tourney and by comparison, it is safe to say that Webster would have struggled mightily with the schedule Alma had last season.

The quality of the competition is typical for this tournament.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: hopefan on July 10, 2018, 11:05:08 PM
Quote from: WUPHF on July 10, 2018, 05:19:51 PM

"Great" might have included Hope or Calvin or Marietta or John Carroll or Ohio Wez, or Wittenberg, or Hanover as a 4th team....  a 4th team that knowledgeable D3 fans would like to see....   Alma, well, hardly qualifies as that...

You're badly underrating Alma, hopefan. The Scots had a down season last year, but they were riddled with injuries. I think that they'll be significantly better in 2018-19. The program has seriously trended upward under Sam Hargreaves, last season's hiccup notwithstanding. Are they going to be at a Marietta or Wittenberg level? Most likely not. But I don't think that they'll be a doormat for the Lopata, either.

WUPHF

I did not realize Alma had struggled with injuries last year.

I believe that had a number of injuries the year prior.

No doubt they had one of the toughest non-conference schedules.

UW-Platteville will still be a heavy, heavy favorite to win that first round game and probably the second.