WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwu70

Q, agree with you that the new Titan group will have a rather different identity from that lead by McGraw and Ehresman.  Munroe at the PG will be very different, quicker with some amazing energy.  Just hope she can rise to the duties, limit the TOs like Ehresman did so well, and feed the strong post and wing players IWU has in good numbers.  It will be interesting to see who the break-out players from this returning group are -- in the new year.  My money is on Anderson, Schneider or Hughes.  Merritt and Brovelli will anchor the paint very well, IMHO.  They are quite a team, quite a unit, with obvious esprit de corp around campus and off-season fitness work very evident. 

Looking forward to the men's Green/White scrimmage later today at The Shirk.

IWU'70

Gregory Sager

Quote from: RogK on October 25, 2018, 06:42:06 PM
I think the Millikin roster has been updated :
https://athletics.millikin.edu/roster.aspx?path=wbball

I've heard good things about two of MU's freshmen, Amaya Coleman from OPRF and Kelle Knopp from Plainfield North.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

RogK

meaning they are studious, cosmopolitan and polite?

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on October 23, 2018, 10:46:44 PM
Quote from: iwu70 on October 23, 2018, 09:47:25 PM
Hey Ypsi, how 'ya doing?   Hope all goes well in Michiganland.

Nice fall here on campus, with football and a great volleyball run.  Looking forward to the IWU basketball editions -- men and women -- though I'll enjoy most of the season again from the Far Side.  Back to Hong Kong by early December, so only seeing a few early games at The Shirk before decamping for Asia and CUHK yet again. 

Looks a very promising season for both teams.  Augie (men) and Wheaton (women) seemingly the biggest challenges.  Plenty plenty of great basketball upcoming.

Hope you and all the family are well.  Remember, our 50th reunion in two years!

'70

Fourth grandchild (second grandson) due probably on Friday.  (DIL going in early that morning to have labor induced.)  Then I can finally call him by name (son and DIL insist they haven't decided, but I think they're just being coy).

Second son doing well (the one I used to joke I had a defense attorney on speed dial - he matured! :)) and finishes his masters in biology in the spring.  He's been pretty close to marriage twice, but both girls got 'cold feet' (one very understandably: her dad cheated, they got divorced, they remarried, her dad cheated again, they divorced again, I fully understand her 'commitment issues'; don't know the backstory on the second one). 

So, four grandkids from one son, no near-term prospects from the other.  In this overpopulated world, four grandkids is probably enough anyway, so I ain't complaining!

Been cooler than normal in MI, but mostly typical.

My health is not what it once was, but I'll certainly be at #50 if I can! ;)

An update, in case anyone cares. ;)

Oliver Thomas Bonney (currently called most of the time, Ollie) was shy about coming on Friday, but entered the world 8 minutes after midnight Saturday morning.  He is, of course, perfect.  (Later on, grandkids may vary on their ratings, but grandBABIES are all, by definition, perfect! ;D)

I'm delighted that I have met all four of my grandkids before they were 24 hours old!  And have only alienated one of them:  I gently teased Emmy about something (don't even recall what) trying to get her to laugh; she had a melt-down and has so far never forgiven me.  Hopefully I can win her back over.  Since she is 3, I think I have time on my side. ;)

iwu70

Ypsi, congrats on the new wee grandson one!   Don't scare wee Ollie off!

Getting ready for some good TITAN roundball. 

Grand key football match up Saturday -- NCC @IWU for all the marbles.

'70

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

GoPerry

Jennifer Berg is listed on the Wheaton Roster.  Although she was injured and didn't play her academic junior year, I had presumed she had graduated and would not return.  Apparently she's returning as a 5th yr senior which will further shore up the Thunder front court with veteran leadership.  This creates a deeper 4 forward rotation( Devin Kyler, Hannah Frazier, Jen&Jill Berg) which should reduce the frequency of a 3 guard line up.   Jordan Myroth is the only returning guard with deep minutes so a little less pressure on the back court is welcome.

Gregory Sager

That's interesting, because you don't see a lot of fifth-year-senior student-athletes at Wheaton.

GoPerry

Quote from: Gregory Sager on October 30, 2018, 04:16:18 PM
That's interesting, because you don't see a lot of fifth-year-senior student-athletes at Wheaton.

Or just as likely enrolled in the Grad School for her 4th year eligibility. (K-Ray, Panner, others)

duckfan41

Quote from: GoPerry on October 30, 2018, 04:32:52 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on October 30, 2018, 04:16:18 PM

Or just as likely enrolled in the Grad School for her 4th year eligibility. (K-Ray, Panner, others)

Not related to basketball, but Johnny Peltz and Nick Johnson we're both 5th year seniors on the baseball team last year.

Gregory Sager

Well, yeah, that also falls under the rubric of "fifth-year senior", if you're referring to a senior in terms of athletic eligibility rather than undergraduate class status. I actually thought of Raymond and Panner, because I can't think of any other examples of Wheaton grad student-athletes off of the top of my head; Wheaton's graduate programs, which are more or less confined to the fields of psychology and religious studies, don't seem to draw lots of athletes (at least as far as I know). North Park, which has graduate programs in the fields of business and education as well as religious studies, seems to be much more conducive to the sorts of things that more student-athletes often want to pursue as careers. NPU's had so many grad students wear Vikings uniforms over the past couple of decades that I don't even bother trying to keep track of them all anymore.

Of course, NPU's graduate curricula wasn't planned with that in mind; it's just a happy coincidence as far as NPU athletics is concerned.

The other aspect, which relates to people who are actually contemplating a fifth year as an undergraduate, is that, as one Wheaton coach candidly told me, the school is so "flippin' expensive" (his words) that it's hard to entice a student to spread out her or his undergrad work over five years of schooling.

Quote from: duckfan41 on October 30, 2018, 05:04:59 PM
Not related to basketball, but Johnny Peltz and Nick Johnson we're both 5th year seniors on the baseball team last year.

Were they grad students or fifth-year undergraduates?

duckfan41

Quote from: Gregory Sager on October 30, 2018, 05:09:20 PM
Well, yeah, that also falls under the rubric of "fifth-year senior", if you're referring to a senior in terms of athletic eligibility rather than undergraduate class status. I actually thought of Raymond and Panner, because I can't think of any other examples of Wheaton grad student-athletes off of the top of my head; Wheaton's graduate programs, which are more or less confined to the fields of psychology and religious studies, don't seem to draw lots of athletes (at least as far as I know). North Park, which has graduate programs in the fields of business and education as well as religious studies, seems to be much more conducive to the sorts of things that more student-athletes often want to pursue as careers. NPU's had so many grad students wear Vikings uniforms over the past couple of decades that I don't even bother trying to keep track of them all anymore.

Of course, NPU's graduate curricula wasn't planned with that in mind; it's just a happy coincidence as far as NPU athletics is concerned.

The other aspect, which relates to people who are actually contemplating a fifth year as an undergraduate, is that, as one Wheaton coach candidly told me, the school is so "flippin' expensive" (his words) that it's hard to entice a student to spread out her or his undergrad work over five years of schooling.

To my knowledge, they were fifth-year undergraduates due to injury for Johnson, and Peltz didn't play his junior season due to commitments to the football program.

GoPerry

Quote from: Gregory Sager on October 30, 2018, 05:09:20 PM

I'm guessing that they took grad classes since most undergrads do graduate in 4 years.  But that begs your question Greg of the expense associated with returning for a 5th year of athletic eligibility.  Especially true of basketball which covers 2 semesters.

I would guess that there's a minimum required course load to participate in a sport (NCAA requirement I would presume).  Do you need to be a full time student or can you take a single graduate class and play? 

iwu70

Getting closer now to the opening of the season.  IWU women play two exhibitions this coming week. First at Eastern Illinois in Charleston, then down at SIU Edwardsville.  Tune-ups for the regular and CCIW seasons.  Opening day now not far away -- November 11th vs. #7 University of Chicago at The Shirk.  A great opportunity to make an early impression against a top 10 foe. 

Looking forward to seeing this new post-McGraw, post Ehresman edition of the TITANS.  In Mia we trust.

Here we go . . .

IWU'70