WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RogK

The North Park web site Athletics page has a nice article telling us what ex-Viking guard Laura Mount is up to these days.

RogK

I was looking at the conference-games-only scoring leaders and noted that these are the top 10 scorers who can return for '09-'10 :
L Long               EC  18.9
C Solari            IWU  13.5
M McGuire          NC  11.3
M Merklein         EC  11.1
E Wildman       MILL  10.4
C Zeigler         MILL  10.3
J Davis               NC  10
K Fox                AUG  9.9
L Coldebella     NP  9.9
N Runge           AUG  9.4

RogK

The conference-only non-senior rebounding leaders :
C Solari     9.9
J Errico      8
M McGuire 7.1
L Long      7.1
A Bowen   6.6
L Kasten   5.9
M Merklein 5.6
K Fox        5.4
E Wildman 5.1
K Burshiem 4.6
No, it didn't take me four days to figure that out.

thundermike

Just looking at those scoring and rebounding numbers, it would seem that next year's POY race will be between this year's winner Christina Solari and Elmhurst star Lyndsie Long

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: thundermike on April 07, 2009, 11:49:25 PM
Just looking at those scoring and rebounding numbers, it would seem that next year's POY race will be between this year's winner Christina Solari and Elmhurst start Lyndsie Long

I'd think they are definitely the leaders going in.  But I suppose we may as well wait for next year! :D

RogK

It will be interesting to see how much more North Central relies on Meghan McGuire next year, since their usual number 1 low post scoring option Brianne Parra won't be there anymore.
McGuire, by the way, shot .568 in nonconference games and .569 in CCIW play.

Old Pro

I'm an Augie Alum, and I'm a little worried about the current state of our WBB program! I just wanted to know how and when things are going to turn around. The current coach has but up some tough numbers in three years; 12-63 Overall & 5-37 in the CCIW...WOW! Coach Black put up better numbers than this and a change was made. Is it time to head in a different direction or will it turn around this coming season?

RogK

cciw.org has the '09-'10 conference schedule. Saturdays will be different, with many 5:00 starts.
With one exception, there will be a women's game first, followed by a men's.
I don't particularly like that, since men's fans will likely seep in during the 2nd halves of games and contaminate the atmosphere.

dansand

Quote from: Old Pro on May 13, 2009, 09:31:03 AM
I'm an Augie Alum, and I'm a little worried about the current state of our WBB program! I just wanted to know how and when things are going to turn around. The current coach has but up some tough numbers in three years; 12-63 Overall & 5-37 in the CCIW...WOW! Coach Black put up better numbers than this and a change was made. Is it time to head in a different direction or will it turn around this coming season?

I don't follow women's hoops too closely, but these are Coach Endress' recruits that I know of so far for next year:

Maggie Barnes, 5-7, Living Word Lutheran (Jackson, WI)
Dori Gills, 5-10, Holy Family (Broomfield, CO)
Kelsey Mikula, 5-6, Coal City
Gianna Pecora, 5-5, Downers Grove South
Lizzy Warnken, 5-5, Centaurus (Lafayette, CO)
Kendall Wolter, 5-10, DeForest, WI

Gills is probably the one that jumps out the most. 1st team all-state and MVP of the Colorado 3A state tournament as a senior, and 2nd team all-state as a junior. Her team won the state championship both years.

These are the additions that I know of so far. There may be more. Whether it translates to more success, we'll just have to see.

Quote from: RogK on May 13, 2009, 07:22:43 PM
cciw.org has the '09-'10 conference schedule. Saturdays will be different, with many 5:00 starts.
With one exception, there will be a women's game first, followed by a men's.
I don't particularly like that, since men's fans will likely seep in during the 2nd halves of games and contaminate the atmosphere.

I'm pretty sure there are followers of both men's and women's basketball that aren't thrilled with the arrangement, but I think it's an unfortunate result of the current economic environment. Among followers of the women's game, I'm sure others share RogK's concern that the women won't be the main attraction. On the men's side, it'll be more difficult for coaches to conduct and monitor, and fans to follow, junior varsity progress.

RogK

IWU's site lists these players under "Titan Class of 2013" :
Michelle Bilek, 5-9 guard, Mt. Prospect, Ill. (Loyola Academy)
Kenzie Floyd, 6-1 center, Mattoon, Ill. (HS)
Haley Kitchell, 5-7 guard, Davenport, Iowa (Rockridge HS)
Samantha Rubright, 5-9 guard, Bensenville, Ill. (Fenton HS)
My initial reaction to the above is to wonder if Rockridge HS was named in honor of the town that Sheriff Bart saved in the film "Blazing Saddles."

HCACBBALL

I have seen the Gills kid play and she is a great get for Augie.  She will be a very good player when her 4 years is up.  I wonder how she got all the way to Illinois?

Titan Q

Quote from: RogK on May 14, 2009, 01:38:56 PM
IWU's site lists these players under "Titan Class of 2013" :
Michelle Bilek, 5-9 guard, Mt. Prospect, Ill. (Loyola Academy)
Kenzie Floyd, 6-1 center, Mattoon, Ill. (HS)
Haley Kitchell, 5-7 guard, Davenport, Iowa (Rockridge HS)
Samantha Rubright, 5-9 guard, Bensenville, Ill. (Fenton HS)
My initial reaction to the above is to wonder if Rockridge HS was named in honor of the town that Sheriff Bart saved in the film "Blazing Saddles."

Article on IWU's recruiting class...

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2009/05/13/usports/doc4a0b7cf73cbf6033879241.txt

Old Pro

That's a good question about the Gills kid coming all the way to Augie. I hope she can make a difference for them next season. However, one player rarely turns around a program by themselves. Also, lets face facts, if Endress cant turn things around next season, they (Augie) should make a change regardless of the economy. Actually, it kind of bothers me that AD's keep people just to keep them. Sorry, I'm just mad about the way things have gone and I'm rooting for things to get better. What are some other opinions about this? IWU is doing a fantastic job and best of luck to them this coming year.

Chi_areahoopsfan

I am a fan of the CCIW on the men's and women's side.  I always enjoy when you see someone impact a program and it is no wonder why some of the top programs have had people in place for some time.  I think that posting has been great because it gives all of us a voice, unforunately even the ignorant ones and those who want to start up some trouble.  I did get a chance to see every team play at least twice this year, most teams more.  I do agree that IWU and Elmhurst are going to be good next year.  IWU does have a number of good players returning and Solari is amazing.  They did however lose arguably the best backcourt in the country and that is not easy to replace.  They will still be fine though.  Thanks to Thundermike for doing all of that research in regards to who everyone is losing.  What is funny though is that everyone besides Elmhurst and Augustana is losing a top scorer and or rebounder and an all conf. selection, or two.  Everyone besides Augustana is losing at least 3 players who contributed, you could argue this point for Elmhurst's sake with only really losing Bobruk who was a heck of a player.  It doesn't sound like many of you actually have had a chance to watch Augustana play in the past 3 years.  The caliber of players on that roster is completely different from that on the team when coach Endress took over.  The comparison with coach Black is unfair considering he did well when he took over the program with a couple of 14 win seasons followed by a 15 win season in his 3rd year.  It quickly went downhill as his recruiting classes took over with a couple of 6 year win seasons including 0 wins in conference in his final year.  I think that the coaching situations are looking pretty good at Augustana, North Park and North Central but theses young coaches need more than 2 - 3 years to change something that was in the situation it was in when taken over, in fairness to those young coaches.  The addition of the Gills kid if she is an all stater will be the 4th in two years for Augustana's incoming class, that is pretty impressive.  Did they look great last year?  I saw them at NCU where they were getting blown out at halftime and went on a crazy run to bring in back in the 2nd half.  They looked like a bunch of freshmen to me.  They had 1 Senior and 1 Junior who was injured as a Sophmore and anyone who knows anything about the game knows how important experience is.  I think the conference is heading in the right direction and I will look for more Parody at the top next year with a couple of teams surprising some people.  North Park however is going to have to rely on a couple of young returners and whatever they have coming in next year but if they stick with her I think she will do a good job there. 

Illinihoops4

I have to agree with "Chi" on this one. Endress took over a gutter program- as has Reese at North Park. Both have/had a mess to clean up. It was rumored at one point a year ago that North Park was inviting people to be on the team.
I was at the North Central game that Chi was referring to and had the chance to visit with a former Augie player/alum at halftime- nothing but genuine praise for the staff. Augie had an exceptionally young team this season going up against a typically senior dominated CCIW. They were probably the only team to have 3 freshmen on the floor consistently. The incoming class will be Augie's third class and typically the most important. I know that the kid from Coal City is one that Mia was after as well. Let's not forget that Endress is the one who brought All-American Scheele to Edgewood. She knows talent, but freshmen need time to develop. I don't think that Mia, Beth, or Lori took over programs in the condition that either of these were in. Trust me old pro- you don't keep people because of the economy- you cut people. These coaches have the support of their respective administrations and there is no doubt growth in those programs on many levels that we don't even think about.
Oh yeah- and I typically just read through the posts- I don't post all that often anymore, but I read in one of your previous posts that you're an Eastern Alum Old Pro- not an Augie Alum.