WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kate

WOW, Illinihoops4, nothing escapes your watch (although i noticed Old Pro's double alum status, too - maybe he's both) - anyway, got to get started with this afternoon's chores, but it's more fun to read these posts - is it November yet???

Old Pro

Two years yes, but after three, the numbers W/L speak for themselves. Don't get me wrong, I am rooting for Augie to turn it around. But lets face some facts! First, Endress, at the time, came from a conference that was pretty weak. It was either Lakeland or Edgewood in WBB and mostly Lakeland looking at the history. She did a good job there, but when that conference added more strength, neither team ros e to the top. Second, If she is as good of a recruiter as people say, then I seriously doubt Augie would be in this position after three years. Seriously, three years to get your own kids in your program seems a bit long. Third, its been very hard to watch the product out there on the floor. Augie even lost to the worst team in the CCIW last season! I find that hard to call that Conference Equity. Three straight 20 loss seasons is not going in the right direction. What if they struggle again next season, do you say that it takes 5-6 years to get a program up and going? Anyway, I disagree with that school of thinking. However, I wish Coach Endress and her program nothing but the very best. I'm sure with the ne additions that this will be really fun to watch.

Illinihoops4

You do realize that Augie doesn't cut right? There were no players in that program to begin with and she was hired late in the year- she inherited the first class. You do the best you can with what you've got. What you are seeing are the growing pains of a young program- freshmen and sophomores. Kasten, Runge, and Howard were all solid freshmen, with the return of Fox and the addition of the Gills kid and it looks like a couple legit pg's- they'll be fine. They were in a lot more games this year than in the past- but Chi said it-experience is key.
Rebuilding isn't easy- especially at a school that costs almost $40,000 a year- kind of limits the recruiting pool- but again- they're getting players that they weren't getting before this staff got there.There are no shortcuts in rebuilding.You haven't heard the statement that it takes 5 years to build? Not everyone believes it, but it's true more often than not.

Illinihoops4

One last thing on this topic- I was taking a look at rosters for returners and I think it's also worth mentioning that Augie had a DI transfer that they lost a week or two before their first game. I don't know if it was injury or what, but her name is Gabi Hungerford. I found it in the augie media guide. You can bet that she would have made a difference.
Finally, I don't think it's up to any of us to criticize any coach too harshly. They aren't out there criticizing how we do our jobs. There's a good crop of young coaches in the league who I would have to bet are hitting the recruiting trail harder and working longer hours than those before them. I choose to support them so we'll just have to agree to disagree Old Pro.

Wydown Blvd.

"Gabi Hungerford led the state in scoring at 29.43 points per game. The 5-9 senior, who also chipped in 10.3 rebounds per game, helped Wild Rose to 19-3 record."
http://www.wisbca.org/news.asp?nid=23

Nice stats. She would have made a difference. Of course, just a bunch of wondering about the coulda should woulda, but thats a pretty good transfer. At Detroit, she averaged 5.2 pts and 3.1 rebs, in 30 mpg, but they weren't good at all.

Old Pro

I will say this for the last time that my overall position is one of support for the coaches and that program. I have, in factstated as such in my postings before. That seems to be getting missed some how in all of this. I have stated real numbers based in fact and not loose conjecture. on my part I have known a number of coaches who have been removed for doing more at other institutions, than the current staff has at Augie. I hear what you are saying and respect you for it. This was not ment to bash or shame, but to focus on the facts. I'm thinking of those kids and institution and feel that they should have a more positive experience. Its hard not to listen to other parents, and Alums who watch the games, who communicate their frustrations. So, once again I am looking forward to Augie getting better next season and support the coaching staff 100%.

WLCALUM83

Here's news on a D-1 transfer headed Carthage's direction:

http://www.carthage.edu/athletics/

bbcsticksman

To HCACBBALL -  Dori Gills got all the way to Augie via I-80!  :D  I for one am very excited to see what Augie does this next season!

HCACBBALL

Funny stuff!!! I know of one school much closer on I 80 that really wanted Gills as well. Augie will be fine and start making some noise here soon.  Coach Endress works too hard for this not to happen.

dansand

Quote from: HCACBBALL on May 15, 2009, 02:41:18 PM
I have seen the Gills kid play and she is a great get for Augie.  She will be a very good player when her 4 years is up.  I wonder how she got all the way to Illinois?
Quote from: bbcsticksman on June 02, 2009, 11:30:45 PM
To HCACBBALL -  Dori Gills got all the way to Augie via I-80!  :D  I for one am very excited to see what Augie does this next season!
Quote from: HCACBBALL on June 03, 2009, 12:31:59 AM
Funny stuff!!! I know of one school much closer on I 80 that really wanted Gills as well. Augie will be fine and start making some noise here soon.  Coach Endress works too hard for this not to happen.

Actually, Augie recruits quite a bit in Colorado. Assuming everyone returns, the women's hoops team will have four players from Colorado--Howard and Neal, plus the two incoming frosh. I know of four Colorado baseball players coming in next year also.

Hoosier Titan

Good to see all the new contributions here.  Looking forward to next season!
You'll never walk alone.

bbcsticksman

I wish I could take credit for the I-80 quote but alas a very good friend of mine came up with it.  I thought you'd get a chuckle out of it though so that's why I posted it.  What other school, if you can say, was interested in Dori?  I know of 2 other schools but they weren't on I-80.

jam8788

RogK

Elmhurst College is again hosting the summer league. Last evening, I went there and saw some of our well-known players, as well as some new ones.
At 6:30, a selection of IWU Titans played. Brittany Hasselbring did a lot of the point guard duties. She is the guard who transferred mid-year from Wash U. I expect she'll do pretty well for IWU this year.
Kylie Castans scored a bunch in the 2nd half. She had a good freshman year and can be counted on for even more this fall.
The Titan roster will again be loaded with good players.
At 7:30, I observed Carthage vs North Central. Carthage had 10 players and subbed 5 at a time. They were aggressive attacking the basket and maintained good energy, despite the warm gym. Players aren't identified other than a uniform number and I didn't ask anyone, but I think it was the new transfer six-footer Diana Jacklin who played a well-rounded game. She's very agile.
North Central has a flock of new Cardinals. Naturally, it will take some time to get accustomed to one another. Meghan McGuire was a major presence in the lane, as usual. A quick recovery is wished for their guard (an incoming freshman?) who hurt her ankle/foot last night.
At 8:30, I watched some of the Augie vs Elmhurst action, plus some of the game on the adjoining court, where Claire Sheehan, Mallory Heydorn and Colleen Caplice were playing.
Not only does the summer league provide a preview of at least half of the upcoming CCIW teams, but you can also appreciate the familiar moves of recent grads as they still enjoy the game.
Augie featured a strong new forward. Might have been the Gills girl mentioned in previous posts.
Elmhurst was missing many of their experienced players.
I left at about 9:00 to get an eastbound Metra, so I didn't see the outcomes of the 8:30 games or the North Park players who were to be in a 9:30 contest.

Old Hoosier Baller

I have had an opportunity to watch Elmhurst over the past two weeks of the summer league.  Barring significant injury issues, this team is poised to compete with everyone in the CCIW this season.  With the addition of two capable transfers from the IIT program to go with the core of Lyndsie Long, Meghan Merklein, Kelsey Monroe, and Megan Ney, the Bluejays are in a position to compete well within the CCIW.  Merklein and Ney have been extremely impressive during the summer league thus far.  Additionally, C.J. Harris has also shown her consistent athleticism the games that I have seen.   Lyndsie Long played her first summer-league game last night and was scoring at will.  I am expecting more parity within the CCIW than we saw last season.