WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bflong

Hello all,

I am a first timer to this posting board.  I have been paying close attention to everything you guys have been saying, and finall decided I should get an account and become part of the 'posting up' family! Just wanted to comment on a couple of key teams in the conference this season... It is obvious that Illinois Wesleyan has continued to pick up their game from last year, as they cruise to the #1 seed in the recent poll.  Congratulations to them!!! I am very impressed with the Carthage team and how well they have been playing this season.  It was good to see them move from 0 to 40 votes after a couple big wins early in the season!  Any news on the statistics from the Missouri Baptist and Wesleyan game from last night?

Hoosier Titan

Hello bflong, and welcome to the boards!  We need more active posters.

It looks as though the stats program used by a lot of NAIA schools only gives team stats for visiting teams--there was a MoBap men's game after the women's game last night and the same limited statistics are given for the visitors.  There was a stat sheet circulating amongst the coaches--I saw it--with a bit more information about individuals than is on the MoBap website.  As I said last night, categories such as assists, turnovers, and steals didn't look very accurate, but shooting and rebounding for individuals were listed.  I've made some inquiries and will let you know if I find out anything.

The win by Carthage over Chicago was indeed impressive.  Chicago visits Wheaton tonight, and then the Titans (both women and men) go to the Ratner on Saturday.  This should give us all an opportunity to do some pre-conference comparisons. 

Again, welcome, and please give us updates on any games you see!
You'll never walk alone.

bflong

Full game statistics are posted on the CCIW website... pretty impressive numbers put up by Christina Solari! 

Hoosier Titan

Yes, the IWU SID, Stew Salowitz, has entered the individual stats for last night's game into our stats program so they are up on iwusports.com now.
You'll never walk alone.

RogK

Saw the 49-42 Wheaton loss to the U of Chicago last night.
Both teams played rugged, quick defense. It was not going to be a smooth-flowing high-scoring game anyway (coaches Roussell and Baker usually favor defense over offense), but the refs made a point to call every conceivable instance of travelling, especially in the 1st half. For a while, I thought Expedia had sponsored the game. U of C's Molly Hackney was whistled for travelling 6 or 7 times in the 1st half, all of them iffy. To her credit, she did not lose her cool over it.
The shooting by just about everyone on both teams was awful : a composite .405 on 2FGs (28/69), .114 on 3FGs (4/35) and each team was under .500 at the foul line (11/25 and 12/26; great free throw defense?).
Even though the game was far from being aesthetically pleasing, the players were trying hard.

WUPHF

Quote from: RogK on December 03, 2009, 03:30:13 PM
Saw the 49-42 Wheaton loss to the U of Chicago last night. Both teams played rugged, quick defense. It was not going to be a smooth-flowing high-scoring game anyway (coaches Roussell and Baker usually favor defense over offense), but the refs made a point to call every conceivable instance of travelling, especially in the 1st half.

I only recently began to appreciate women's basketball and it only happened after I began to follow teams that play rugged and quick defense.  I have met a lot of other fans who agree.

It is a shame, though, when the referees take over.

Titan Q

RogK

Another good win for Carthage last night, 58-47 over previously-unbeaten Calvin.
Diana Jacklin topped the scoring with 21 (8/14, 5/6).
Missouri Baptist outscored Millikin 81-68. For the Big Blue, Elise Wildman had 22 pts and 9 rebs. Kaitlin Brassil scored 21 pts on just 10 shots.

Titan Q

IWU 64
Chicago 57

It was nice to be able to watch this game via Chicago's live stream.

What a luxury to be able to win a game on the defensive end.  That's what the Titans did today at the Ratner Center.  IWU trailed most of the 1st half, and by as much as 8 in the opening minutes of the 2nd.  With their offense sputtering a bit, the Titans kicked their pressure defense into high gear and forced Chicago turnover after turnover, and bad shot attempt after bad shot attempt.  That led to the Titans getting open looks from the beyond the arc, as well as in the paint...and it really seemed to wear Chicago out.

This is such a good IWU basketball team because they're good offensively (with so many weapons), but absolutely outstanding defensively.  And man do the Titans play hard.

Maybe not a pretty win, but an impressive road win in my book.

Mr. Ypsi

Q,

I tried to watch the game, but gave up after about five minutes.  The video stream was so jerky I was starting to get a headache.  I assume your stream must have been better than mine?

RogK

To echo Titan Q's report, it was a hard-fought win for IWU today.
Chicago was up 41-32, but then the Titans outscored them 24-5 over the middle ten minutes of the 2nd half.
To compliment any individual Titan would necessitate listing the whole bunch, as they all did well.
That it was an impressive win means that the opposition was formidable, which it was. If these teams meet in the NCAAs, it would be another tough battle.
Wash U topped Elmhurst 77-60. LL scored 24 on 18 shots for the Jays.
Franklin got past North Central 73-61. NC used only 7 players.

Hoosier Titan

Q and Rog have already made good points about the IWU-Chicago game.  Just a few additional thoughts:

At halftime, I noted that Chicago had handled the Titan press about as well as anyone has, and that the press would have to be a little tighter if it was to produce game-changing results.  Well into the second half, that finally happened, and the tighter D led to the 24-5 Titan run.  The team stats show it:  24 Chicago turnovers to 10 for IWU; 15 IWU steals to 4 for Chicago, and team assist/turnover ratios of 16/10 for IWU and 11/24 for Chicago.  This was offset somewhat by Chicago's 40-28 rebound advantage.  There was much unhappiness in the IWU fan section about the foul count early in the game; at the 13:00 mark the foul count stood at 5 for IWU and 0 for Chicago.  But those evened out; in the end 16 fouls were called on IWU and 17 on Chicago, and both teams shot 68% on free throws.

Chicago is a big, physical team who make the most of their advantages.  It was a close and hard fought game that should make both teams stronger.
You'll never walk alone.

Hoosier Titan

Here's the Pantagraph story on the IWU-Chicago game.   Quick quote:  Mia Smith says Chicago is the best team IWU has played so far.

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/basketball/women/article_e0ec7ab6-e220-11de-9fe5-001cc4c002e0.html
You'll never walk alone.

Titan Q

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on December 05, 2009, 04:54:16 PM
Q,

I tried to watch the game, but gave up after about five minutes.  The video stream was so jerky I was starting to get a headache.  I assume your stream must have been better than mine?

I had no trouble at all with it.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Hoosier Titan on December 06, 2009, 08:53:39 AM
Here's the Pantagraph story on the IWU-Chicago game.   Quick quote:  Mia Smith says Chicago is the best team IWU has played so far.

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/basketball/women/article_e0ec7ab6-e220-11de-9fe5-001cc4c002e0.html

Hmmm ... I wonder if quotes from a third-party coach ever make it to bulletin boards?  I have a feeling the WashU coach may post that one to rile up the troops! :D  And/or the Chicago coach may use it for a confidence boost.