WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fawkes316

...and then Wheaton goes and plays a likely 8-2 Millikin on Tuesday in Decatur. It's possible that there could be a three way tie at 10-2 by Tuesday night.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: RogK on February 08, 2007, 11:39:32 AM
"Load up" is a good way of phrasing it, Greg. North Park has a maximum of six returning players for '07-'08, and two of them have played very little.
If I understand the NP philosophy, it is to slow the game, limiting the number of events : possessions, fouls, etc. This serves to keep their individuals less fatigued and out of foul trouble and prevents the opposition from developing momentum. They do not want to get into a "track meet" with anyone. This style requires fewer players than would be needed for a run-and-gun team. Still, they need at least four new additions to play any sort of style, slowish or other.

I think that Jack Surridge prefers this slowdown, defense-oriented style, and since the man has over 500 career wins I'm certainly not going to second-guess his philosophy. It hasn't gotten North Park to the top of the league, but it's certainly made the Vikings a respectable CCIW program year in and year out. However, I also wonder how much of this style is borne by necessity. NPU never has the numbers in terms of roster strength, because the program never brings in more than three players or so a year, four at the most. Of course, it needs to be said in Jack's defense that he also has a very demanding and time-intensive second job as the school's athletic director, and he does not have a full-time assistant to help him with recruiting.

I remember one game a few years ago when Carthage was visiting the crackerbox and the Lady Reds had 21 players in uniform ... and NPU had eight players suited up. I asked Carthage coach Tim Bernero after the game if he just wanted to make sure he had us outnumbered 2-to-1 in case there was a bench-clearing brawl. :D
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

RogK

-

RogK

-

RogK

-

RogK

-

titan30

The Thunder looked great on Saturday.  The Titans were simply outhustled and outcoached.  Wheaton scored easily against the Titan press; the press should have been taken off a lot earlier rather than waiting until halftime to discuss it.  The refs were not the best, but regardless, it was Wheaton's game.  The Titans were being pushed around; Colleen Caplice needs to be in the game more often to add some much needed muscle.  Claire Sheehan was a non-factor - when she received the ball she didn't even bother looking at the basket; she just looked to pass every time.  Crystal Dye has talent, but there is obviously some issues between her and the coach.  Hopefully, things will come together for the CCIW tournament.  I have not seen Millikin play, but after seeing Wheaton, I'd say the momentum is on the Thunder's side.

Mr. Ypsi

I think Wheaton has the momentum and the point may be rendered moot, but IF Millikin can hold home court there is a high probability that there will be a 3-way tie for first at the end of the regular season.  Since IWU, Millikin, and Wheaton would all be 1-1 against each other, and undefeated against everyone else, what tie-breaker would end up applying?

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on February 13, 2007, 01:50:30 AM
I think Wheaton has the momentum and the point may be rendered moot, but IF Millikin can hold home court there is a high probability that there will be a 3-way tie for first at the end of the regular season.  Since IWU, Millikin, and Wheaton would all be 1-1 against each other, and undefeated against everyone else, what tie-breaker would end up applying?

The women have the same tiebreaker system as the men, Chuck. The first applicable tiebreaker is d. Road record against conference schools. Illinois Wesleyan and Millikin accomplished a road-dominated split with each other this season, so the road records of the three schools would be:

Illinois Wesleyan6-1
Millikin6-1
Wheaton5-2

Since that doesn't break the tie, we proceed to e. Record in their last nine games. And the result of that is:

Millikin8-1
Illinois Wesleyan7-2
Wheaton7-2

Therefore, in the event of a three-way tie at 12-2, the CCIW tourney will be held at the Griz in Decatur.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Hoosier Titan

Thanks, Greg, for clarifying the tiebreaker scenario.  Both Millkin and Wheaton looked very strong in their recent games against the Titans.

titan30 gets a lot of things right:  the Thunder were often (but not always!) able to beat the Titan press, "the refs were not the best but regardless, it was Wheaton's game," Colleen Caplice has become an effective post player, Claire Sheehan had an off game.  But it appears that if anyone has issues with coaching, it's titan30:

Quote from: titan30 on February 12, 2007, 11:25:29 PM
[snip]... The Titans were simply outhustled and outcoached.  Wheaton scored easily against the Titan press; the press should have been taken off a lot earlier rather than waiting until halftime to discuss it.  ...[snip]...Crystal Dye has talent, but there is obviously some issues between her and the coach.  ...[snip]

Given the early season loss of two post players, the Titans are severely undersized at almost every position.  Their press has been their strength all season and still caused a fair number of turnovers against Wheaton and especially against Millikin.  Man-to-man they just don't match up well against big, strong teams like Wheaton. 

And it's far from "obvious" that there are issues between Crystal Dye and Mia Smith.  I have no idea what inspired that remark, and I don't think it's accurate at all. 

Congratulations to the Big Blue and the Thunder and their coaches for two very good games against the Titans.  The CCIW tournament looks to feature some great rematches.
You'll never walk alone.

Hoosier Titan

I think it should be noted that the Titans were down 3 in the Wheaton game with about 2:30 left, and made two major runs to get to within 3 of Millikin in the second half.  I think the last time the margin was that narrow against Millikin was with 8 minutes to go.  In both cases, the games were much closer than the final score indicated.   
You'll never walk alone.

RogK

-

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 13, 2007, 03:45:43 AM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on February 13, 2007, 01:50:30 AM

The women have the same tiebreaker system as the men, Chuck. The first applicable tiebreaker is d. Road record against conference schools. Illinois Wesleyan and Millikin accomplished a road-dominated split with each other this season, so the road records of the three schools would be:

Illinois Wesleyan6-1
Millikin6-1
Wheaton5-2

Since that doesn't break the tie, we proceed to e. Record in their last nine games. And the result of that is:

Millikin8-1
Illinois Wesleyan7-2
Wheaton7-2

Therefore, in the event of a three-way tie at 12-2, the CCIW tourney will be held at the Griz in Decatur.

Just a point of clarification (it would be irrelevant this year, but might make a difference another time):

Wouldn't Wheaton drop out after the 'road record' tie-breaker, and just IWU/Millikin revert back to the first tie-breaker?

RogK

-

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on February 13, 2007, 01:18:04 PM
Wouldn't Wheaton drop out after the 'road record' tie-breaker, and just IWU/Millikin revert back to the first tie-breaker?

That's how most conferences do their tiebreakers, yes.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.