FB: Southern Athletic Association

Started by Ron Boerger, October 25, 2011, 02:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BerryCollegeFan

Quote from: Ron Boerger on October 16, 2017, 04:15:24 PM
SAA PoTWs:

Offense: Colt Collins, QB, Austin (14-of-23 for 239 yds, 3TDs, also 38 yds and 1 TD rushing)
Defense:  Mitchell Globe, LB, Trinity (14 tackles, fumble recovery)
Special Teams:  Trey Gregory, K, Berry (2/2 FGs, 4-for-4 PATs)

http://www.saa-sports.com/sports/fball/2017-18/releases/20171016kcxqt0

Congratulations to all 3. 

BerryCollegeFan

Quote from: paparcc on October 17, 2017, 06:54:25 AM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on October 16, 2017, 04:52:44 PM

Late OFF week for Berry this year.  I believe the coaches started rotating more players as they could to rest legs until they get to the end.  I know several fans in our tailgate were worried about it early in the season.  We will see with 2 more weeks until the break, but I am not as worried about this as I was before, they seem to be well rested.

Rotating players builds depth over several years. It gets better players into your system at a younger age.  Look at UMHB or Linfield or Mount Union. They just re-load!

Not only do players learn the system sooner, it keeps them around.  A lot of 2016 freshmen players didn't return to Berry in 2017 because their chances of playing were slim.  Most gave up football entirely.  That's normal I guess.  But teams made up primarily of Fr and So's usually aren't very good.  So it's a dilemma for coaches to keep guys around, pay their dues, and wait their turn til they become Jr's & Sr's.
Seems like the defense is getting 3-4 deep in most games while the offense is only getting 2 deep at most positions.  WR probably the exception.

paparcc

Quote from: BerryCollegeFan on October 17, 2017, 08:27:46 AM
Quote from: paparcc on October 17, 2017, 06:54:25 AM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on October 16, 2017, 04:52:44 PM

Late OFF week for Berry this year.  I believe the coaches started rotating more players as they could to rest legs until they get to the end.  I know several fans in our tailgate were worried about it early in the season.  We will see with 2 more weeks until the break, but I am not as worried about this as I was before, they seem to be well rested.

Rotating players builds depth over several years. It gets better players into your system at a younger age.  Look at UMHB or Linfield or Mount Union. They just re-load!

Not only do players learn the system sooner, it keeps them around.  A lot of 2016 freshmen players didn't return to Berry in 2017 because their chances of playing were slim.  Most gave up football entirely.  That's normal I guess.  But teams made up primarily of Fr and So's usually aren't very good.  So it's a dilemma for coaches to keep guys around, pay their dues, and wait their turn til they become Jr's & Sr's.
Seems like the defense is getting 3-4 deep in most games while the offense is only getting 2 deep at most positions.  WR probably the exception.
RB's went 1-2-3 deep against Hendrix.  The 2-3-4 guys rotated while Collins was out the prior 2 weeks.  It's a long season and they're going to need all of them.  Always good to have depth and guys contributing.  Builds morale along with camaraderie a true sense of being a team.

BerryCollegeFan

Occidental situation is sad.

I hate the decision for the players.  I am not sure how the administration came to this action.  Injuries are part of the game, seems like more to the story...

albatross

I don't think there's any way this happens if the school is "behind" the team. This is so weird that it makes you think the administration is trying to kill the team...

BerryCollegeFan

Quote from: albatross on October 18, 2017, 09:07:17 AM
I don't think there's any way this happens if the school is "behind" the team. This is so weird that it makes you think the administration is trying to kill the team...

I agree, we don't have the whole story.

umhb2001

Well, if things keep going the way they are, I wonder if The Cru will see Berry in the playoffs. I love seeing new teams. Good luck the rest of the way!
Watch out for the wreckingCRU defense!!

awadelewis

Hard to say.   If I was going to bet today, I would say that SAA champion would play either the ODAC or CAC champion with the USAC champion getting the other one of the two teams.   Avoids making east coast team fly in the first round.

jknezek

Quote from: awadelewis on October 18, 2017, 09:14:54 PM
Hard to say.   If I was going to bet today, I would say that SAA champion would play either the ODAC or CAC champion with the USAC champion getting the other one of the two teams.   Avoids making east coast team fly in the first round.

Of the teams in contention right now, Berry can only go to Huntingdon without a flight. There is no ODAC team inside 500 miles, and UMHB is definitely too far. Don't know the HSU mileage but I'm willing to bet it's too far.

See my post a few rows down. I'm wrong on Huntingdon being the only option.

BerryCollegeFan

Quote from: jknezek on October 18, 2017, 10:53:48 PM

Of the teams in contention right now, Berry can only go to Huntingdon without a flight. There is no ODAC team inside 500 miles, and UMHB is definitely too far. Don't know the HSU mileage but I'm willing to bet it's too far.
Hardin-Simmons?

jknezek

Quote from: BerryCollegeFan on October 19, 2017, 09:55:09 AM
Quote from: jknezek on October 18, 2017, 10:53:48 PM

Hardin-Simmons?
941 miles is definitely going to be a flight.

jknezek

When all is said and done, Berry actually has quite a few reasonable options. Using the NCAA TES system you get the following:

Berry --- 472 miles to W&L, 525 to Hampden Sydney, 611 to Randolph-Macon, 595 to Shenandoah.

I'm surprised W&L fits, but they do. Still, of these ODAC teams, W&L has to play all 3 contenders on the road in the coming weeks and already has a conference loss. I don't rate their odds of winning the ODAC all that high right now.

HSU over 900 miles, UMHB is 839 miles. The ASC is out.

Huntingdon is 209 miles. Averett is the only other 1 conference loss USASAC school and their loss is to Huntingdon, but they are 436 miles. Both schools are in.

BUT, and here is where it gets interesting, Rose-Hulman is 461 miles, Franklin is 463. So the HCAC is definitely in play. So the southernmost North schools are legit options.

Which leads us to Wittenberg is exactly 500 miles. Depauw is 495 miles, so the NCAC is in play.

Then you have to start going farther afield. Frostburg State is 636 miles, Wesley is 760, so the NJAC, the southernmost East region conference, is out.

Johns Hopkins out of the CC, the northern most South Conference, is 696, Ursinus is 808 miles.

CWRU, W&J and CMU are all out, so the PAC is out.

UMU is 672.

I may have missed a few, but I'm willing to bet I got most of the options. People underestimate how far you can go with 500 miles. So we tend to think there are fewer options than there really are available.

Ralph Turner

I am expecting undefeated Berry to be the #4 team in the South Region and get a first round home game, and probably against Huntindgon or the USAC Pool A bid.

If they end up 5th behind JHU (whom I think wins the Centennial), then all bets are off. (That Huntingdon first round match up looks too tempting to pass up. It saves a flight.)

jknezek

Huntingdon really is the problem, not Berry. Like I showed above, Berry has options. Huntingdon really doesn't.  RHIT and Franklin are about 550 miles. There just isn't an option in the Missouri area, Western TN, or Kentucky unless somehow Centre gets in (480 miles).

Hawks88

I think the only football playing schools within 500 miles of HC are:
USAC conference mates Brevard, Greensboro, LaGrange, and Maryville.
SAA non-Texas schools
ASW Belhaven and LC (ETBU comes in at 501)
ODAC E&H and Guilford