Mid-Atlantic Region 2016

Started by Mid-Atlantic Fan, August 10, 2016, 02:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D3soccerwatcher

Quote from: Flying Weasel on July 07, 2017, 12:57:49 PM
That is peculiar.  When I first saw the schedules, the Messiah-Hopkins match struck me as odd from the Messiah perspective as it was a second mid-week game (away at Albright on Tuesday) without any game that weekend.  The Stevenson-Hopkins match is one of those rare Monday matches, but Stevenson's preceding weekend game is on Friday night instead of Saturday, so two days off which is normal.  For Hopkins, however, that 8 day stretch is asking a lot.  How far in advance do conferences finalize their schedules?  Makes me wonder if Hopkins had agreements in principle to play Messiah and Stevenson this year, but then when the Commonwealth and Centennial schedules came out it then made that difficult.  Or maybe more likely, the chance to add Messiah to their schedule came along but they were still on the hook for the home game of their home-and-away with Stevenson and decided to squeeze the game in rather than take a pass on strengthening their schedule.

BTW, I noticed that Stevenson is playing two home conference matches on Friday night instead of Saturday, something they haven't done in past seasons. Both the women's soccer team and the football team are also at home those weekends and all play in the same stadium, but it's turf and the football team plays midday on Saturdays and the women play 4:30 or 5 pm on Saturday those weekends.

Urban legend over the years is that some coaches/schools do no like to play early Saturday games.

SoccerFan2017

Quote from: D3soccerwatcher on July 15, 2017, 06:52:36 PM
That is peculiar.  When I first saw the schedules, the Messiah-Hopkins match struck me as odd from the Messiah perspective as it was a second mid-week game (away at Albright on Tuesday) without any game that weekend.  The Stevenson-Hopkins match is one of those rare Monday matches, but Stevenson's preceding weekend game is on Friday night instead of Saturday, so two days off which is normal.  For Hopkins, however, that 8 day stretch is asking a lot.  How far in advance do conferences finalize their schedules?  Makes me wonder if Hopkins had agreements in principle to play Messiah and Stevenson this year, but then when the Commonwealth and Centennial schedules came out it then made that difficult.  Or maybe more likely, the chance to add Messiah to their schedule came along but they were still on the hook for the home game of their home-and-away with Stevenson and decided to squeeze the game in rather than take a pass on strengthening their schedule.

BTW, I noticed that Stevenson is playing two home conference matches on Friday night instead of Saturday, something they haven't done in past seasons. Both the women's soccer team and the football team are also at home those weekends and all play in the same stadium, but it's turf and the football team plays midday on Saturdays and the women play 4:30 or 5 pm on Saturday those weekends.

Urban legend over the years is that some coaches/schools do no like to play early Saturday games.

What's an early Saturday game? Most coaches wouldn't mind a 1 pm Saturday game correct?

D3soccerwatcher

Quote from: SoccerFan2017 on July 15, 2017, 10:02:11 PM

What's an early Saturday game? Most coaches wouldn't mind a 1 pm Saturday game correct?

I'd think that some away teams might have issue with that.

SoccerFan2017

Quote from: D3soccerwatcher on July 16, 2017, 02:33:28 PM
Quote from: SoccerFan2017 on July 15, 2017, 10:02:11 PM

I'd think that some away teams might have issue with that.

As a player I never liked having a Saturday game at 7 pm/evening. Too much sitting around.

Flying Weasel

I wasn't thinking of them trying to play before the football game on Saturday (which would mean 9 a.m. and 10 a.m. game times), but rather simply playing night games after the women's games.

luckylefty

Could be  that the Athletic support staff don't want to do 12 hour days. Trainers, site coordinators, SID's all have very brutal schedules.

My guess is they try to avoid having all home games line up like that on any particular weekend, but for whatever reason the schedule lined up like that.

franklyspeaking

I have heard that some teams cut a lot of players before the season begins.   Is this so?  Why would they recruit and bring in for 2 weeks preseason just to do this?  I can see an isolated case but I was told happens all the time   

1970s NESCAC Player

Quote from: franklyspeaking on August 13, 2017, 08:54:33 AM
I have heard that some teams cut a lot of players before the season begins.   Is this so?  Why would they recruit and bring in for 2 weeks preseason just to do this?  I can see an isolated case but I was told happens all the time   

D3 soccer is tryout soccer.  Anyone who wants to try out is allowed to.  This inevitably results in more players trying out than there are available spots on the roster.  Therefore, some prospective players are cut at the end of the tryout phase of the preseason.  This is seldom an entire two weeks.

As to your question about recruits, it would be somewhat unusual for a coach to cut an actual recruit.  Typically, a player that a coach truly "recruits" will make the team at least for his freshman season.  On the other hand, unrecruited freshman tryouts would not necessarily receive the same degree of protection.  At the end of the day, the coach is trying to build the strongest possible roster.

D3soccerwatcher

Quote from: 1970s NESCAC Player on August 13, 2017, 11:12:41 AM
Quote from: franklyspeaking on August 13, 2017, 08:54:33 AM

D3 soccer is tryout soccer.  Anyone who wants to try out is allowed to.  This inevitably results in more players trying out than there are available spots on the roster.  Therefore, some prospective players are cut at the end of the tryout phase of the preseason.  This is seldom an entire two weeks.

As to your question about recruits, it would be somewhat unusual for a coach to cut an actual recruit.  Typically, a player that a coach truly "recruits" will make the team at least for his freshman season.  On the other hand, unrecruited freshman tryouts would not necessarily receive the same degree of protection.  At the end of the day, the coach is trying to build the strongest possible roster.

While some teams may have pre-season "tryouts", others stick strictly with their recruits and do not allow for tryouts in the Fall.

sokermom

Can someone who played or whose kids are already in a D3 program present information on a typical pre-season routine.  Will the fitness test happen the first day of pre-season?  what happens on day 2?  will it be all fitness focused or will there be soccer training as well.  Do D3 players train once a day?  In the morning or evening?  Thanks.

luckylefty

I can only speak for the Division 3 program I coached in

Typically it would be:
First session: fitness test
Second session: some sort of evaluation, 3v3 small sided stuff
Third session: scrimmage for 60 minutes or so.

After the first day we jumped into more tactical and technical work. We usually trained twice a day. A couple days we would train three times, but we would really dial back the sessions and spend a lot of time on defensive shape, or other important tactical stuff.

We typically had very few walk ons so that first day gave us enough time to evaluate and make a decision.

sokermom

stillwatching

Quote from: sokermom on August 13, 2017, 08:09:44 PM
Can someone who played or whose kids are already in a D3 program present information on a typical pre-season routine.  Will the fitness test happen the first day of pre-season?  what happens on day 2?  will it be all fitness focused or will there be soccer training as well.  Do D3 players train once a day?  In the morning or evening?  Thanks.

Son plays for a D3 State School program in MA.  First day for them is typically check in to the dorms, team meeting, fitness testing and scrimmage.  They'll start 2 a days the following day, and do that for a week to 10 days, schedule a couple of scrimmages, and continue the doubles on days they're not scrimmaging.  Regular practice schedule starts on the 1st day of classes.

sokermom

Quote from: stillwatching on August 14, 2017, 01:06:05 PM
Quote from: sokermom on August 13, 2017, 08:09:44 PM

Son plays for a D3 State School program in MA.  First day for them is typically check in to the dorms, team meeting, fitness testing and scrimmage.  They'll start 2 a days the following day, and do that for a week to 10 days, schedule a couple of scrimmages, and continue the doubles on days they're not scrimmaging.  Regular practice schedule starts on the 1st day of classes.

Thanks.  One last question.  The two mile or three mile test...is it done one mile at a time or all two/three miles without stopping after each mile?  I googled but can't seem to find this information anywhere.