« on: February 22, 2015, 06:49:01 pm »
So the playoff field is set for the 31st annual MIAC Playoffs! #1- UST, #2 St Olaf, #3 SJU, #4 Bethel, #5 Cord & #6 GAC.
* Since the playoffs began in 1985, every school has made the field at least once. SMU has the fewest appearances (one, 1985) while UST has the most (28 counting 2015)
* UST is making its 16th consecutive appearance in the Playoffs. SJU is making its 9th appearance in a row. This is the 4th time in a row that Bethel has made the field. St Olaf and GAC are repeating from last year while Concordia is back in the field after a
three-year one year absence.
Since the field was expanded to six teams in 2001---
*NO #3, #5 or #6 seed has won the tourney.
* Teams seeded third and sixth have never reached the title game; the only 5th seed to reach the championship game was GAC in 2011
* The only #4 to win it was Carleton in 2010, and they needed OT to knock off GAC that season
* #1 has won 10 of 14 (which bodes well for UST) BUT UST is the only #1 to lose the title game, falling to GAC in 2003 and St Olaf in 2014
* Olaf was the champion in 2014, their only title.
* Gustavus last won it all in 2005.
* UST last won it in 2013 and has won 7 of the last 9.
* SJU last won it all in 2001, the first year of the 6-team format
* Bethel and Concordia have never won the tourney under the 6-team format
* Bethel's only Playoff title was in 1991 when they beat UST and GAC in the old 4-team format
* Concordia won it all in 1996, beating Carleton & Gustauvs
Quarter final tidbits
* The battle between 3rd and 6th seed has seen each seed win 7 times
* #4 seeds have a 10-4 record vs #5 seeds, which bodes well for Bethel
* Bethel is 4-0 as a #4 seed
* Cord is 0-1 as the #5 seed
* SJU is 0-2 as the #3 seed
* GAC is 1-0 as the #6 seed. Do these last two bode well enough for a Gusties upset win at Collegeville?