Author Topic: South Region Rankings and Playoffs  (Read 46046 times)

Offline cover2

• Starter
    • View Profile
Re: South Region Rankings and Playoffs
« Reply #180 on: March 04, 2020, 05:38:19 pm »
I think he was referring to UMHB winning their conference tournament and not getting the hosting duties.

Ok .. my first sentence remains intact. Just because a team wins their conference tournament doesn't drive the ship.

The overall resumes do that and I am not sure UMHB would have jumped Trinity at the end.

I was adding the conference tourney title to the list of reasons why UMHB should've moved to #1 in the region.  The rest of the list was posted by Ron:  ...UMHB...when they have a better overall record, record vs RROs, SOS, *and* secondary record than Trinity.

Offline Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

• All-American
  • Broadcaster, Announcer, Analyst, and Fan!
    • View Profile
    • Hoopsville
« Reply #181 on: March 04, 2020, 05:48:59 pm »
Trinity: 20-3 v DIII, .548 SOS, 5-3 vRRO, and common opponent (quick look): Trinity lost to Texas-Dallas who also beat UMHB. (Overall 23-4)

UMHB: 22-3 v DIII, .563 SOS, 6-3 vRRO, and same common opponent info (Overall 24-4).

I don't know the non-conference SOS unfortunately which could have played a roll. Trinity has a better overall WL%. There may be other common opponents if I go look.

Quick glance ... it isn't a slam dunk for UMHB. It is close for either.

When I have more time, I can break down the vRRO (because it is NOT just a hard WL number). There could be more common opponents that also could help this discussion.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Online Ron Boerger

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 04, 2020, 05:56:50 pm »
Trinity: 20-3 v DIII, .548 SOS, 5-3 vRRO, and common opponent (quick look): Trinity lost to Texas-Dallas who also beat UMHB. (Overall 23-4)

UMHB: 22-3 v DIII, .563 SOS, 6-3 vRRO, and same common opponent info (Overall 24-4).

I don't know the non-conference SOS unfortunately which could have played a roll. Trinity has a better overall WL%. There may be other common opponents if I go look.

Quick glance ... it isn't a slam dunk for UMHB. It is close for either.

When I have more time, I can break down the vRRO (because it is NOT just a hard WL number). There could be more common opponents that also could help this discussion.

UMHB has a better W/L (22-3 > 20-3, 24-4 > 23-4).   

Common opponents: UMHB 0-1 vs AC, Trinity 2-1; UMHB 2-1 vs. HSU, Trinity 1-0; UMHB 1-0 vs SW, TU 2-0; UMHB 3-0 v ETBU, Trinity 1-0; UMHB 1-0 v St Thomas (TX), Trinity 1-1.

Online Ron Boerger

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 06, 2020, 08:03:23 pm »
UMHB beats AC 78-63, but if my brother got the number right, UMHB’s Hannah Holt went out with 2:00 remaining with what appears to be a knee injury, on crutches and iced up after the game.  Box score confirms she left the game at that point.

Offline jekelish

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 06, 2020, 10:02:30 pm »
Yep. She went down hard, it was really, really unfortunate and a bit scary.

Tough game for Austin College. 32-30 at halftime, and then the 'Roos just went about as cold as you can for the first 7 minutes of the third quarter. UMHB closed the third strong and came out hot to start the fourth quarter, and that was that. 'Roos got hot from three for a stretch late to get it to 9 but couldn't quite close the gap, and at the end UMHB knocked down their free throws when AC had to foul.

Online Ron Boerger

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 06, 2020, 10:27:51 pm »
And Trinity could not make a double digit second half lead stand up in falling to UT-D 74-69.  Kelly Simmons was knocked out on a scrum under the basket in the second half; UT-D was called for an intentional foul and it all went south for Trinity after that.   Abby Holland closes out her career with 19 points.

So it’ll be a all-ASC second round tomorrow.  Yay.

Online Ron Boerger

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 08, 2020, 08:27:53 am »
Even without Hannah Holt, UMHB had little difficulty with UT-D, winning 64-48.  Raenett Hughes, who was so disruptive in scoring 22 the previous night, was held to 5 points (2-10 from the floor) by the Comets.