Author Topic: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association  (Read 1460430 times)

Offline RFMichigan

• Starter
    • View Profile
Re: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association
« Reply #9750 on: May 25, 2020, 09:49:37 pm »
Not a good sign...the University of Michigan president announced that IF they decide on not having on-campus students this fall, there will be NO football. I'd that happens, I believe that will be the death bell ring for MIAA, DII and NAIA football in Michigan this year as well. No time frame for decision was given, however, they'll have to decide by July I believe.

This makes sense - "putting the horse before the cart". The question is, good doctor, where does having the students back "on campus" but taking a large amount of classes online put sports?

Offline Mr. Ypsi

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #9751 on: May 25, 2020, 11:21:54 pm »
Not a good sign...the University of Michigan president announced that IF they decide on not having on-campus students this fall, there will be NO football. I'd that happens, I believe that will be the death bell ring for MIAA, DII and NAIA football in Michigan this year as well. No time frame for decision was given, however, they'll have to decide by July I believe.

This makes sense - "putting the horse before the cart". The question is, good doctor, where does having the students back "on campus" but taking a large amount of classes online put sports?

I think I recall reading that sports couldn't be played if students are not on campus, because having only athletes on campus would be treating them differently and violate amateurism rules.  But IF students in general are on campus, I can't see why how the classes are held (in person on online) would be relevant.  (Of course, if classes are ONLY online, why crowd students on to campus?  But apparently some schools are planning 'hybrid' learning - much online, but also once a week or so in person.)

Offline formerd3db

• All-American
  • Go Hope!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9752 on: May 26, 2020, 11:08:08 am »
RFMichigan and Mr. Ypsi:

Good questions and responses, respectively. See my reply to yours and other comments by some of our colleagues over on the OAC board.

Hope you both had an enjoyable Memorial Day weekend, as much as any of us could do under the circumstances.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Offline Flying Dutchman56

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9753 on: June 30, 2020, 10:48:08 pm »
A couple of questions I thought of randomly and thought I'd ask😃

1.  Does the MIAA still sponsor JV football?

2.  Do other conferences in D3 have JV football currently or did they but no longer, or never had?

Stay healthy everyone!😃
Hope College Football - A Tradition of Excellence.
MIAA Champions 1934, 1951, 1953, 1958, 1963, 1973, 1975, 1978, 1979, 1981, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, and 2019.

Offline sac

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Rejoice in Hope
    • View Profile
    • Speaking of Alaska - my basketball blog
« Reply #9754 on: July 01, 2020, 12:58:26 am »
The MIAA is going to play mostly conference games for Fall sports.

https://www.miaa.org/miaaheadlines/MIAA_Preparing_For_Fall_Competition?fbclid=IwAR2ehHdGhTVs47rarg6AJEkYYCmNgsKOX-qfiznAhh9RjQTDRPZ0GYLPGEw

This would seem to cancel the first two weeks of non-conference football games.  For Hope that's a trip to Anderson and a home date with Monmouth.
Give to Hope
Twitter  -- words, occasional words

Offline RFMichigan

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9755 on: July 01, 2020, 08:12:06 am »

https://www.miaa.org/miaaheadlines/MIAA_Preparing_For_Fall_Competition?fbclid=IwAR2ehHdGhTVs47rarg6AJEkYYCmNgsKOX-qfiznAhh9RjQTDRPZ0GYLPGEw

This would seem to cancel the first two weeks of non-conference football games.  For Hope that's a trip to Anderson and a home date with Monmouth.

Wouldn't the MIAA-NACC Challenge games scheduled for the third week of non-conference games also be cancelled?

Offline sac

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Rejoice in Hope
    • View Profile
    • Speaking of Alaska - my basketball blog
« Reply #9756 on: July 01, 2020, 11:10:31 am »

Wouldn't the MIAA-NACC Challenge games scheduled for the third week of non-conference games also be cancelled?

I haven't seen anything specific, but I'm kind of going under the assumption non-conference football games aren't going to happen.  The Sept 19 start date is probably going to cancel the first two weeks of the season.
Give to Hope
Twitter  -- words, occasional words

Offline formerd3db

• All-American
  • Go Hope!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9757 on: July 01, 2020, 12:08:16 pm »

I haven't seen anything specific, but I'm kind of going under the assumption non-conference football games aren't going to happen.  The Sept 19 start date is probably going to cancel the first two weeks of the season.

At the very least, the first games because the tentative plan for coronaviris safety protocols in return to full team practices encompasses a five week period. As per the league's announcement after last week's President's Council meeting with the Commissioner and HCs, likely all non-conference games will be canceled. However, there has not been any official announcement from the individual colleges as yet regarding
"definitive" cancelation of those games and I know (from my sources🤫) that at least one of the schools was pushing hard for keeping their full 10 game regular season. 

As you can ascertain from the announcement, each school is working on their own specific policy within the overall general recommended safety and healrh/medical guidelines, and that might possibly provide the "out window" for a school to do what they want with regard o playing more games than the others provided, of course, the PC and Commissioner would allow that choice. Personally, I don't see that happening from what I know,. However, in reality, who knows?  This is an era when anything can happen.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 12:11:39 pm by formerd3db »
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice