Author Topic: MBB: Northwest Conference  (Read 890678 times)

Offline A Buc Forever

• Starter
    • View Profile
Re: MBB: Northwest Conference
« Reply #7230 on: May 18, 2019, 03:57:02 pm »
Just because Whitman is great now, does not mean Whitworth is worse.  Bridgeland has made Whitman as good, or better than he made UPS.  Hayford made Whitworth on the same level that Whitman is now for his last five years. However, he was not beating UPS when Bridgeland was there.  Logie was beating Bridgeland for several years. Not sure Hayford would have done much better these last couple years. In my opinion, there is not much difference between what Hayford and Logie accomplished at Whitworth. Yes, Hayford built it up (but it wasn't a bad program before). But it is hard to come in and keep a top program at the top like Logie did. The difference between Whitworth now and 5 years ago, besides Whitman being a little better, is probably a difference in how the teams gelled. Let's be honest, this team underachieved.   That is more on the players than the coaches IMHO.

As for the new coach, we'll see.  The talent is there. Maybe he can get this team to play at little higher level with the addition of a key piece or two.  I like the idea of giving a smart assistant a shot rather than hiring a retread from somewhere else. Also got to give him credit for demanding the coach in-waiting deal and not having to deal with competition when he got the job. So far he's been smart.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 06:26:20 am by A Buc Forever »

Offline stag44

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7231 on: November 01, 2019, 11:22:17 pm »
Any updates on how the NWC is looking this year?

CMS is coming up next week to play Fox and Whitworth - excited for the early season test for the Stags!

Offline BluesBrother

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7232 on: November 04, 2019, 04:53:26 pm »
Any updates on how the NWC is looking this year?

CMS is coming up next week to play Fox and Whitworth - excited for the early season test for the Stags!

I'm planning to tune into the action in Spokane this weekend. Should be a nice glimpse at two of the likely challengers to Whitman's NWC supremacy. I'll be rooting for CMS to extend it's winning streak vs Whitworth!

I haven't seen a preseason NWC poll, but I'd imagine Whitman will be the unanimous pick to repeat as conference champs despite losing seven seniors. They had so much depth last year that just the returners are probably strong enough to win the conference, and I know at least of couple of the newcomers have impressed in practice.

That said, the Blues don't appear to be as deep, and aside from Duckett, Vickers, and Osborne, it's not clear who the go-to options are going to be on the offensive end. It's been three years since Whitman lost a regular season game in the NWC...I'm guessing that streak comes to an end this year.

Offline A Buc Forever

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7233 on: November 06, 2019, 02:12:17 pm »
UPS and Willamette had  games against DI teams last night. Not sure what these games against upper division teams says about how a DIII will be in league, but it is nice to have the teams hang with them.  UPS got blown out by Portland State in the first half and played them even in the second.  Sounds like Portland overwhelmed Willamette. Seems like encouraging news for UPS and a little worrisome for Willamette.

Offline BluesBrother

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7234 on: November 07, 2019, 07:24:16 pm »