Author Topic: FB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference  (Read 5936509 times)

Offline WW

• Starter
    • View Profile
Re: FB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference
« Reply #45780 on: October 09, 2019, 11:38:26 am »
I know UWP is the bright shiny object right now given their ranking and showdown vs DubDub but I think the game of the week will be Point at Oshkosh. Point's got a few nicks on their resume but they've also had to endure the loss of QB1 and get QB2 up to speed. I think that's happened. They've got some playmakers at WR and in the backfield and some maulers on D.

And Oshkosh won't get much credit for squeaking by Stout but you know who else just squeaked by Stout? St John's. I think Stout is the best 1-3 team in the country, and better than most 3-1 teams. UWO remains really young in a lot of places offensively (freshmen at QB, RB, and at least two OL spots last I saw) but they're moving the sticks and starting to mature. They won the Stout game by not giving the ball away or making dumb plays (which they had plenty of in their opener). And that loss to Salisbury isn't looking so bad as that team rises in the rankings.

I think the winner of this game will be the second-best team in the WIAC, and the most likely to push UWW.

Offline emma17

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #45781 on: October 09, 2019, 02:00:16 pm »
I can see why you feel the UWSP/UWO winner could eventually be the #2. Interestingly, if memory serves, they are the only teams in the conference w not only one, but two victories over UWW since what- 2004?

Iíll have to see UWP this weekend before jumping on that train though.
Iím very much looking forward to UWS at UWL, and I wouldnít be surprised if UWEC/UWRF isnít the most exciting of the weekend.

Offline palum

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #45782 on: October 09, 2019, 03:55:26 pm »
As one of the few Platteville posters I can honestly say I don't know what to think of this Saturday's game with WW. Is Platteville a legit 4-0 team it's hard to judge by their NC games and how big was the LaX win sloppy conditions were a big factor but after falling behind 20-7 they did outscore  LaX 31 zip. LaX beat Concordia-Morehead 21-14 and WW beat Concordia-Morehead 20-10. I know that will mean very little come Saturday but I think it shows  that the LaX win is a quality win for Platteville. I had my doubts about Platteville coming into this season after last year's 4-6 record including losing their last 5. Three things are improved this year 1. Colin Schuetz (QB) is playing much better than last year. 2. Wyatt Thompson is back at running back and 3. The offensive line play is I improved.  All that being said WW always seems to find a way to beat Platteville.

Offline bleedpurple

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Warhawkfootball.com
« Reply #45783 on: October 09, 2019, 08:29:56 pm »
As one of the few Platteville posters I can honestly say I don't know what to think of this Saturday's game with WW. Is Platteville a legit 4-0 team it's hard to judge by their NC games and how big was the LaX win sloppy conditions were a big factor but after falling behind 20-7 they did outscore  LaX 31 zip. LaX beat Concordia-Morehead 21-14 and WW beat Concordia-Morehead 20-10. I know that will mean very little come Saturday but I think it shows  that the LaX win is a quality win for Platteville. I had my doubts about Platteville coming into this season after last year's 4-6 record including losing their last 5. Three things are improved this year 1. Colin Schuetz (QB) is playing much better than last year. 2. Wyatt Thompson is back at running back and 3. The offensive line play is I improved.  All that being said WW always seems to find a way to beat Platteville.
True enough. Even though UW-P is consistently a top 3 contender (last year was a rare exception) in recent seasons, UW-W has beaten the Pioneers 14 straight times. Coach Emendorfer is a good man. A few years ago, I was talking with him before a UW-W/ UW-P game. He mentioned how he had gotten a phone call from a coach who was about to play us in the playoffs the previous year. The coach asked him how to beat Whitewater.  He said he just laughed. And to paraphase, he said, "What the heck are you asking me for? I've never beaten them."  I always root for UW-P when they are not playing UW-W and I always look forward to saying hello to Patty Chryst who still comes to the UW-W/UW-P games, which are all the "George Chryst Memorial Bowl" whether played at UW-P or UW-W.  That's how much respect UW-W has for Coach Chryst and UW-P.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 10:07:24 pm by bleedpurple »

Offline BoBo

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • HBG/Hnedak Bobo Group
« Reply #45784 on: October 09, 2019, 08:41:43 pm »
    B. There can be a downside to splitting time at the QB position.

SJU tried a QB rotation probably 8-10 year ago.  It drove me nuts and made it hard to build momentum.  That being said, Erdmann's backup for the past couple years (Ben Alvord) was a stud and likely would have started at most schools, and SJU would use him situationally as he brought some different things to the table.

Agreed. It can be done.  I like the idea if it is done with a specific purpose. Maybe the starter could benefit from a series standing by a coach and watching what the defense is doing for a series. Or maybe the back up has a specific strength that he is better at than #1 (Perhaps uptempo). But the straight up "we can't make up our mind so let's play both" can be a detriment if not handled extremely well.

They can be close in talent and ability but once QB1 gets all the first-team reps in practice, the gap grows. I donít recall ever seeing the platoon work very well, even early in the season. Seems too often you get guys trying to do things beyond their capability to win the job.

You're obviously too young or not enough of a football historian. Here are 3 successful, 2 QB platoon systems that worked very well (2 professional, 1 collegiate):

Ohio State Buckeyes fans recall the 1996-97 season when their team deployed two QBs regularly. Stanley Jackson and Joe Germaine each played a big role in the Buckeyes one loss, Rose Bowl Championship season. Jackson was the dual threat QB that threatened with his legs a bit more than his arm. Germaine on the other hand was a pocket passer who made plays strictly with his arm.

The early '80s/pre-Marino Dolphins had WoodStrock, in which David Woodley and Don Strock split time at QB. The duo ended up making it to Super Bowl XVII.

Norm Van Brocklin and Bob Waterfield of the Rams. Both made the Pro Bowl in '50 and '51. In 51 they were 1-2 in NFL passer ratings. Waterfield retired after the '52 season ending any more opportunity to platoon. Both are Pro Football Hall of Famers. And Waterfield was married to Hollywood sex symbol Jane Russell for 25 years.

I would say a 2 quarterback system rarely ends up successful, but not totally unheard of.
Thereís two times of the year for me Ė football season, and waiting for football season.

Offline jamtod

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #45785 on: October 09, 2019, 08:55:21 pm »
    B. There can be a downside to splitting time at the QB position.

SJU tried a QB rotation probably 8-10 year ago.  It drove me nuts and made it hard to build momentum.  That being said, Erdmann's backup for the past couple years (Ben Alvord) was a stud and likely would have started at most schools, and SJU would use him situationally as he brought some different things to the table.

Agreed. It can be done.  I like the idea if it is done with a specific purpose. Maybe the starter could benefit from a series standing by a coach and watching what the defense is doing for a series. Or maybe the back up has a specific strength that he is better at than #1 (Perhaps uptempo). But the straight up "we can't make up our mind so let's play both" can be a detriment if not handled extremely well.

They can be close in talent and ability but once QB1 gets all the first-team reps in practice, the gap grows. I donít recall ever seeing the platoon work very well, even early in the season. Seems too often you get guys trying to do things beyond their capability to win the job.

You're obviously too young or not enough of a football historian. Here are 3 successful, 2 QB platoon systems that worked very well (2 professional, 1 collegiate):

Ohio State Buckeyes fans recall the 1996-97 season when their team deployed two QBs regularly. Stanley Jackson and Joe Germaine each played a big role in the Buckeyes one loss, Rose Bowl Championship season. Jackson was the dual threat QB that threatened with his legs a bit more than his arm. Germaine on the other hand was a pocket passer who made plays strictly with his arm.

The early '80s/pre-Marino Dolphins had WoodStrock, in which David Woodley and Don Strock split time at QB. The duo ended up making it to Super Bowl XVII.

Norm Van Brocklin and Bob Waterfield of the Rams. Both made the Pro Bowl in '50 and '51. In 51 they were 1-2 in NFL passer ratings. Waterfield retired after the '52 season ending any more opportunity to platoon. Both are Pro Football Hall of Famers. And Waterfield was married to Hollywood sex symbol Jane Russell for 25 years.

I would say a 2 quarterback system rarely ends up successful, but not totally unheard of.

Florida had some success with Chris Leak and Tim Tebow

Offline WW

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #45786 on: October 09, 2019, 09:04:21 pm »
If youíve gotta reach out of the millennium to refute my argument, I think itís pretty sound. Besides, Strock and Woodley were both ass.

Offline WW

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #45787 on: October 09, 2019, 09:21:37 pm »
But Jane Russell was smokin hot, Iíll give you that

Offline Bluenote

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #45788 on: October 10, 2019, 12:45:17 am »
I saw WW at Willamette.. did I tell u guys this story before??? Just wondering... LOL :-X

Offline Bluenote

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #45789 on: October 10, 2019, 12:48:33 am »
They looked like a pro team compared to a College team... I thought I was in a different league... it was amazing! WOW

Offline emma17

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #45790 on: October 10, 2019, 12:02:03 pm »
They looked like a pro team compared to a College team... I thought I was in a different league... it was amazing! WOW

I donít know what else to say:
https://youtu.be/Q1Um0PiPLcM

Offline SW66

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #45791 on: October 10, 2019, 01:44:07 pm »
Looks like Oshkosh may end up with the championship from 2016. UMHB is having to vacate their wins from 2016 and 2017 for loaning a car to a student athlete to be able to get back and forth to school. I would have asked for something nicer than a 2006 Subaru. Guess their own self imposed sanctions and self reporting were not enough for the rules committee.

Offline 02 Warhawk

• All-American
  • Go Quakers!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45792 on: October 10, 2019, 01:47:28 pm »
Looks like Oshkosh may end up with the championship from 2016. UMHB is having to vacate their wins from 2016 and 2017 for loaning a car to a student athlete to be able to get back and forth to school. I would have asked for something nicer than a 2006 Subaru. Guess their own self imposed sanctions and self reporting were not enough for the rules committee.

:o

Seems harsh

It's being suggested that there will be no champion that year. Vacating the wins is different from forfeiting them. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 02:18:10 pm by 02 Warhawk »

Offline emma17

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #45793 on: October 10, 2019, 02:26:12 pm »

Seems harsh

It's being suggested that there will be no champion that year. Vacating the wins is different from forfeiting them.

I say this jokingly, it depends who the player was. Was he the guy that intercepted UWO on their last offensive play of the game? If so, I self-declare UWO national champions.

As long as there isn't more to this story, or more that preceded this story, I hope UMHB retains the 2016 championship.

Offline 02 Warhawk

• All-American
  • Go Quakers!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45794 on: October 10, 2019, 02:28:12 pm »

Seems harsh

I say this jokingly, it depends who the player was. Was he the guy that intercepted UWO on their last offensive play of the game? If so, I self-declare UWO national champions.

As long as there isn't more to this story, or more that preceded this story, I hope UMHB retains the 2016 championship.

Apparently MHB took their 2016 banner down awhile ago and nobody knew why. Now we do. I guess they are no longer champions unless they win the appeal process.

Can they vacate 2018 too?  ;) I kid
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 02:35:28 pm by 02 Warhawk »