Author Topic: Future of Division III  (Read 369752 times)

Offline Gray Fox

• All-American
    • View Profile
Re: Future of Division III
« Reply #2055 on: March 25, 2013, 11:57:26 am »
Maybe Chicago could rejoin it's former conference-mates... and we'd have someone who might be able to beat Mount Union at football ;D

The bigger question is will Wisconsin bolt the B1G and join the WIAC with their fellow UW schools? ;D
+1 to both! :)
Ditto
“There are 2 rules in life:
Number 1- Never quit
Number2- Never forget rule number 1."
― Duke Ellington

Offline Hoops Fan

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: March 25, 2013, 12:34:49 pm »

I tried to come up with some sort of rationale to justify the statement, but I couldn't do it.

Even if they went to a non-scholarship model, a lot of these schools would still be making money on the likenesses of players and be subject to the ruling.

Offline Gregory Sager

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • North Park Vikings: Nat'l champs, 1978-79-80-85-87
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: April 25, 2013, 04:08:20 pm »
Alfred State is now in the provisional pipeline. Pretty soon,  Albany, Binghamton, and Stony Brook will be the only three campuses out of all 72,258 branches of the State University of New York that aren't in D3. ;)

Meanwhile, Presentation has moved on from D3 to the NAIA. It was a move that made sense for the Saints, particularly from a geographic standpoint. They've even found a new Dakotas-based league to join, right off the bat.
“If you have a chance to help others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.” — Roberto Clemente

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: April 25, 2013, 04:42:26 pm »
Alfred State is now in the provisional pipeline.

Alfred State is also in the process of joining several other athletic associations including the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference and the United States Collegiate Athletic Association which will provide postseason and national accolades immediately for Pioneer athletes. 

Schedules for the 2013-14 school year are being made now with a majority of the contests versus four year competition.  The college is in the process of exploring conference membership options with hopes to joining a conference in the near future.

Alfred State currently offers 18 intercollegiate athletic teams (baseball, men’s and women’s basketball, men’s and women’s cross country, football, men’s lacrosse, men’s and women’s soccer, softball, men’s and women’s swimming, men’s and women’s indoor and outdoor track & field, volleyball, and wrestling).

Who wants Alfred State?  SUNYAC?  NEAC?  Is there enough interest to adding Alfred State to set up a "bidding war" between those two conferences to give Alfred State a favorable welcoming where they land?

Football?  SUNYAC...
No ice hockey, tho'...

Offline Warren Thompson

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • "It's dangerous to walk on thin water."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: April 25, 2013, 05:23:33 pm »
Alfred State is now in the provisional pipeline. Pretty soon,  Albany, Binghamton, and Stony Brook will be the only three campuses out of all 72,258 branches of the State University of New York that aren't in D3. ;)

And that's just slightly more than the number of Concordias in the free world. :)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 05:26:25 pm by Warren Thompson »

Offline Hoops Fan

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: April 27, 2013, 08:18:22 pm »

Meanwhile, Presentation has moved on from D3 to the NAIA. It was a move that made sense for the Saints, particularly from a geographic standpoint. They've even found a new Dakotas-based league to join, right off the bat.

That number might be low.  They had a SUNY display at the rest stops on the NY State Thruway and it was like 20 feet tall with very tiny print.

Offline Just Bill

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: May 31, 2013, 01:15:01 am »
That was one of the branches. You didn't realize it, but you were visiting SUNY-Rest Stop Exit 186. They're the Fightin' Map Readers!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 10:23:02 am by Just Bill »
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

mattvsmith

« Reply #2062 on: May 31, 2013, 11:15:56 am »
+K to you, JustBill. SUNY-Rest Stop Exit 186. Truly classic.

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: June 11, 2013, 09:54:28 pm »
The Education Bubble Has Burst

"...college enrollment rates for students have declined 2.3% in 2013 compared to 2012."

Most of the very well endowed "D-IV's" will survive; my guess is that includes the NESCAC, the UAA, most of the NCAC's, MIAC's, Landmarks, Centennials, NEWMAC's, CCIW's, WIAC's and Liberty League.

Some of the OAC, MAC, SUNYAC, MASCAC, LEC, NJAC, SAA, MIAA, SCAC and NWC will survive.

From there, I think that you have to make a case-by-case determination of the prospects for survival.

One of the links provides this news.

http://theweek.com/article/index/240205/why-your-college-could-go-bankrupt

Minnesota's St. Olaf College and Carleton College, for example, have begun discussing combining libraries, technology infrastructure, human resources and payroll — and possibly even their academic programs.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 10:06:17 pm by Ralph Turner »

Offline ADL70

• All-American
  • Honorary Spartan Football Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: June 14, 2013, 06:22:47 am »
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
MOLON LABE

mattvsmith

« Reply #2065 on: June 14, 2013, 06:57:23 am »
The state of higher education is so poor that one has put effort into not graduating. A pulse and a tuition payment usually do it.

Offline WLCALUM83

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: June 16, 2013, 11:15:49 pm »

That number might be low.  They had a SUNY display at the rest stops on the NY State Thruway and it was like 20 feet tall with very tiny print.
That was one of the branches. You didn't realize it, but you were visiting SUNY-Rest Stop Exit 186. They're the Fightin' Map Readers!
+K to you, JustBill. SUNY-Rest Stop Exit 186. Truly classic.

(Willie Nelson's "On the Road Again" and Johnny Cash's "I've Been Everywhere" playing back to back. . . )

The Fightin' Map Readers!  Wonder what they'd do whenever they came to a fork in the road. . . )

« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 11:18:06 pm by WLCALUM83 »
WBB:  NCAA bids 2000, 2003, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
MBB:  NCAA bid   2006.

Offline smedindy

• All-American
  • ‘Heliotrope, Hell!’ orated he: ‘We want blood!’
    • View Profile
    • I Write About Baseball. The Good, Bad and Indefferent. Now with the Mariners!
« Reply #2067 on: June 21, 2013, 05:20:15 pm »
The Cartographers!
Wabash Always Fights!

I'm A Bug? More Like A Crank! Bugs & Cranks! I Cover The Marliners now, or will.

Offline sbparent

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: June 28, 2013, 01:22:07 pm »
February 26, 2013

By Dave McHugh
D3sports.com

It looks like the much-talked about regional realignment is nearly here. For two years, there has been serious conversations and the exercise of realigning the regions in Division III

Full article at:

http://www.d3sports.com/notables/2013/02/regional-realignment-coming

Anyone heard the final outcome of this.  Article says that the NCAA management council would meet in April to finalize?  I cannot find any further updates on their meeting and the results.

Offline pumkinattack

• All-Conference
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: June 29, 2013, 06:52:39 pm »
Ralph, I read that story about the college bubble bursting and had a suspicion by the way it was written that it was a biased approach.  When I read the language in the sentence of "a major bankruptcy at a college in Georgia" I have I question the value of the article.  Georgia Perimeter College is a two year school with an endowment that peaked at a level only about 15% higher than a house in Atlanta that I just went under contract on and my name ain't Goizeta, Candler or Cox. 

I have problems with the higher education system, think the language used by politicians is eerily similar to the "American dream" talk about home ownership that is the smoke and mirrors fraud that politicians have been playing with the public since the development of Levittown and think ultimately judge Smails advice to Danny Noonan will seem sage rather than a joke.  That being said, there's got to be a better piece supporting your thesis than the one posted above.