Author Topic: Future of Division III  (Read 582196 times)

Online justafan12

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
Re: Future of Division III
« Reply #2505 on: February 18, 2019, 12:56:25 pm »
the NFCA poll, at all levels but especially in D3, should be thrown in a lake. It's only 8 voting coaches who clearly don't keep up with what's going on (nor should they be expected to, frankly, given their jobs) who just pick teams they've heard of or who their friends coach.

I have no idea if the coaches take their responsibility of voting seriously or not.  I know for the most part they have gotten the #1 ranked team correct for the past several years going all the way back to Tufts dominance. Do other sports have the same issue with a D3 poll?  I know volleyball, basketball, baseball and football have some organization that does a ranking; is it any better?

Offline Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

• All-American
  • Broadcaster, Announcer, Analyst, and Fan!
    • View Profile
    • Hoopsville
« Reply #2506 on: February 18, 2019, 01:02:45 pm »
I have had issues with WLAX and MLAX coaches polls for years - I'll never forget how the women kept a NESCAC team near the bottom of their Top 20 all season including before the NCAA playoffs despite a below .500 record ... "they are playing a tough schedule," yep and losing!

D3 basketball: men's poll hasn't existed for years, kind of got absorbed by D3hoops.com's poll; women's poll is eight coaches from each region. I don't think they do a great job, but they don't do a bad job. I think you need more opinions than one in each region to do that fairly.

Soccer is a joke. They basically to a poll for each region, then take the top X amount of teams plus one to fill in the Top 25. It is a completely bogus way of doing it. Sometimes the second or third team in a region isn't a Top 25 team, but in this system they are.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Offline Gregory Sager

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • North Park Vikings: Nat'l champs, 1978-79-80-85-87
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: February 18, 2019, 09:36:01 pm »
Soccer is a joke. They basically to a poll for each region, then take the top X amount of teams plus one to fill in the Top 25. It is a completely bogus way of doing it. Sometimes the second or third team in a region isn't a Top 25 team, but in this system they are.

Of course, men's and women's soccer also have independent polls (the d3soccer.com polls) that are separate from the coaches polls.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful.. -- John Wooden

Offline sunny

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: February 19, 2019, 09:42:25 am »
Also, you have to look at the total number of first-place votes in some of these coaches polls on a week-to-week basis. There have been somewhere it's sort of open to whoever votes in time - so a week-to-week comparison is worthless because it's not the same pool of voters week to week.

Besides, any poll that starts with a preseason or week one poll is inherently flawed as an objective measure of teams THAT season because they all have to start somewhat with how the teams did the year before ... which, from an NCAA selection standpoint for that season, is completely irrelevant. By the final quarter of a season, do national polls sometimes do a pretty good job*? Yes, depends on the poll. But there's a lot of educated guessing going on prior to that. National season-long polls are fun, but I'm glad they aren't used to determine NCAA selection and seeding.   

*This is also why we don't see regional rankings now until much later in the season than we used to. It ensures that there is a larger "in-season" sample to be used as the initial jumping off point.

Finally, a collaborative ranking - which allows for discussion of criteria, etc., in working toward a consensus - is a little more "wonk-proof" than a blind-voting poll.

(Again, I like polls! Polls are fun! But I'm glad they aren't used for selection and seeding.)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 09:47:01 am by sunny »

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Hoopsville
« Reply #2509 on: February 20, 2019, 12:23:50 pm »

Of course, men's and women's soccer also have independent polls (the d3soccer.com polls) that are separate from the coaches polls.

To be fair ... and I once voted on those polls ... they don't provide the best point of view, either ... especially when they miss a few weeks early on.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Offline Gregory Sager

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • North Park Vikings: Nat'l champs, 1978-79-80-85-87
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: February 20, 2019, 12:50:35 pm »
Agreed. But they're definitely a big step up from the mandatory slotting-by-region that the USC polls use.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful.. -- John Wooden

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Hoopsville
« Reply #2511 on: February 20, 2019, 12:56:43 pm »
Agreed. But they're definitely a big step up from the mandatory slotting-by-region that the USC polls use.

Agreed - the auto slotting ... is embarrassing in my opinion. It's also lazy and caters to the cry-baby coaches who don't like the idea they might not get ranked.

Offline Pat Coleman

• D3sports.com Guru
  • Administrator
  • All-American
  • Check the front page or FAQs before you ask.
    • View Profile
    • D3sports.com
« Reply #2512 on: February 20, 2019, 03:44:42 pm »

Agreed - the auto slotting ... is embarrassing in my opinion. It's also lazy and caters to the cry-baby coaches who don't like the idea they might not get ranked.

Auto slotting is why D3hoops.com started a poll in the first place. That's how the NABC did its "poll" back in the 90s.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Let's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.