Author Topic: Regional Realignment  (Read 14118 times)

Offline Gregory Sager

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • North Park Vikings: Nat'l champs, 1978-79-80-85-87
    • View Profile
Re: Regional Realignment
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2020, 10:16:17 am »
OK, so I have not paid much attention to this...

The UAA goes from having teams in multiple regions to every team being in one region?

Yeah, that's not going to happen. It'd be impossible for any UAA team aside from Emory to pick up regional non-conference contests.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful.. -- John Wooden

Offline WUPHF

• All-American
  • Bowling alone
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2020, 10:30:46 am »
It would be tough with this configuration:

Region 9 (46)
USAC 13
SAA 8
UAA 8
ODAC - 13

Emory would have it easy but Washington University would have to drive to Conway, Arkansas, Danville, Kentucky and Memphis every other season.  Rochester and NYU would have to play UAA style weekends in the south.

Offline KnightSlappy

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Forever Faithful | A Calvin Knights Blog
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2020, 10:34:01 am »
There are also administrative regions and games within 200 miles (or did they extend that?) So Wash U would be able to play all the SLIAC and CCIW and UMAC and count those as in-region.

Offline deiscanton

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2020, 11:51:49 am »
There are also administrative regions and games within 200 miles (or did they extend that?) So Wash U would be able to play all the SLIAC and CCIW and UMAC and count those as in-region.

It's actually 500 miles, not 200.

Offline Pat Coleman

• D3sports.com Guru
  • Administrator
  • All-American
  • Check the front page or FAQs before you ask.
    • View Profile
    • D3sports.com
« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2020, 11:55:37 am »
UAA schools wouldn't have to play anyone else in that region particularly, although it would help for head-to-head and common opponents in the regional rankings.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Let's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Offline WUPHF

• All-American
  • Bowling alone
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2020, 12:28:18 pm »
Interesting, thanks guys...

Offline Gregory Sager

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2020, 12:48:41 pm »
UAA schools wouldn't have to play anyone else in that region particularly, although it would help for head-to-head and common opponents in the regional rankings.

That's what I was getting at. Thanks, Pat. It's obvious that the radius rule and the administrative region rule would keep the UAA teams eligible in terms of regional games played, but my point was more about the H2H and common opponents stuff. Sticking the UAA in a new Southeast Region would be a major headache for regional rankings purposes.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful.. -- John Wooden

Offline Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

• All-American
  • Broadcaster, Announcer, Analyst, and Fan!
    • View Profile
    • Hoopsville
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2020, 12:58:10 pm »

That's what I was getting at. Thanks, Pat. It's obvious that the radius rule and the administrative region rule would keep the UAA teams eligible in terms of regional games played, but my point was more about the H2H and common opponents stuff. Sticking the UAA in a new Southeast Region would be a major headache for regional rankings purposes.

I don't think as much changes as people think. Maybe some teams in Texas or north of them (whichever they aren't included with) won't be considered for rankings, but for selections, bracketing, etc., nothing changes.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Offline VT-Alum-NOVA

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2020, 12:59:41 pm »
I'm assuming the new look CAC/ACAA will also be split into diff regions??
if so, does this mean ACAA schools get called out separately into different regions while CAC teams go into 1 region?  or all just get assigned individually?

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Hoopsville
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2020, 01:07:44 pm »
I'm assuming the new look CAC/ACAA will also be split into diff regions??
if so, does this mean ACAA schools get called out separately into different regions while CAC teams go into 1 region?  or all just get assigned individually?

Likely like the UAA and the current ACAA, assigned to their own individual regions.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Offline Gregory Sager

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2020, 01:24:02 pm »

I don't think as much changes as people think. Maybe some teams in Texas or north of them (whichever they aren't included with) won't be considered for rankings, but for selections, bracketing, etc., nothing changes.

Nothing changes in the formal sense, but, as Pat pointed out, it would become more difficult to properly rank teams for regional ranking purposes when there is very little  crossover to aid in the comparison process.

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Hoopsville
« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2020, 01:26:09 pm »
Fair, though I think there are some regions like the West and South currently where that already exists. I don't think we can get rid of it in the West, but Emory does tend to play opponents near them in non-conference. Same with the rest of the UAA. I have a feeling they will be in regions with their geographical brethren. Thus I am not sure how much it will really impact.

Maybe I need to think it through more ...