Author Topic: FB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference  (Read 2290638 times)

Offline OxyBob

• Starter
    • View Profile
Re: FB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference
« Reply #21120 on: September 11, 2020, 01:02:05 pm »
One good thing about all instruction being remote at Oxy this Fall is that the students won't be on campus to destroy the 9/11 memorial this year.

Offline olddog

• All-Region
  • Why work for it, just move to CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21121 on: September 11, 2020, 01:36:24 pm »
One good thing about all instruction being remote at Oxy this Fall is that the students won't be on campus to destroy the 9/11 memorial this year.

Still cant get the image of those brave souls running back into the buildings after they were hit. They all matter to me, defund colleges if you ask me.
We are changing our state Flag to a Blue tarp as a tribute to our robust homeless population.

Offline jaller

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #21122 on: September 11, 2020, 02:20:37 pm »

Forgive my ignorance, but was that a real thing?

Offline OxyBob

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21123 on: September 11, 2020, 04:01:16 pm »

Forgive my ignorance, but was that a real thing?

Yes.

In 2016, the "Conservatives of Occidental" student club planned a 9/11 memorial on the quad area of the campus by displaying 2,997 flags, representing each victim of the 9/11 attacks. The flags were placed in the quad on September 10. Around 1:00 a.m. on September 11, some demented Oxy students pulled up the flags and threw them in the trash. Later the flags were retrieved and replaced.

Rather than condemn outright the vandalism, the soft, doughy then-college president Jonathan Veitch and his weak administration instead took the opportunity to employ their usual Liberal relativism and turn the vandalism of the 9/11 memorial into a "teaching moment" by staging a bunch of contrived, politically-correct events that had little to do with the vandalism.

Supposedly the students responsible for the vandalism were caught and punished, but the college fell back on claims of privacy, so who knows what if anything was really done.

The sorry affair made national news. Yet another proud moment for Oxy.

OxyBob

Offline olddog

• All-Region
  • Why work for it, just move to CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21124 on: September 11, 2020, 05:59:38 pm »
Was this the same year a group of African American Students representing some organization I cannot remember played the Black National Anthem of which all 1800 stood up and respected, then when the real National Anthem came on, raised up their fist and Walked off. Should have seen the look on an old marine sitting next to me. Is this same year the president invited students in his office for Starbucks for 45 days.
We are changing our state Flag to a Blue tarp as a tribute to our robust homeless population.

Offline OxyBob

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21125 on: September 11, 2020, 08:54:57 pm »
Was this the same year a group of African American Students representing some organization I cannot remember played the Black National Anthem of which all 1800 stood up and respected, then when the real National Anthem came on, raised up their fist and Walked off. Should have seen the look on an old marine sitting next to me. Is this same year the president invited students in his office for Starbucks for 45 days.

I do not recall that. The weak-kneed Oxy administration did allow a bunch of spoiled brat students to take over the administration building for a week in 2015. Weakling Jonathan Veitch was the president then, too. Rather than give the students an ultimatum to get out of the building or be expelled, he tolerated the students' nonsense and even gave in to some of their demands.

OxyBob

Offline D O.C.

• All-American
  • TEAM EXCELLENCE ATTITUDE CLASS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21126 on: September 13, 2020, 01:33:23 am »
olddog.... if it happened OxyBob would remember it IMHO