FB: Northwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedandPurple

Quote from: Nihon Tiger on October 15, 2009, 08:22:00 PM
Thanks for the link to the great articles on Whitman Football.  Interestingly enough the President at Whitman when football was dropped, Robert Skotheim, was the interim president at Oxy last year.  Luckily, our team survived.

I also thought this was interesting:

Sig Hansen of the class of '57 remembers playing as a linebacker against the man who would later become a National Football League wide receiver, R.C. Owens.

"I was playing linebacker, and he was playing fullback."

Pretty rare to see a college fullback become a pro wide reciever!  At least nowadays.  Can anyone think of any NFL players who did something similar recently?  I certainly can't...
R.C. Owens, now there's a name that brings back memories for me. He was known as Mr. Alley-Oop when he played during the fifties and sixties with the Forty-Niners.  He once said, "I guess you could say the Alley-Oop was the same as a Hail Mary pass, except we didn't pray."
I read where he blocked a field goal by jumping up at the cross bar and knocking it down.
GO CATS!
55 IN '10!
Go Cats! Make it 62 in '17!
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."
Winston S. Churchill

Las Vegas Wildcards

Quote from: wildcat11 on October 14, 2009, 06:15:01 PM
Quote from: Touchdown Tommy on October 14, 2009, 05:50:48 PM
Quote from: D O.C. on October 14, 2009, 12:57:38 PM
Why, credit for this,of course

http://johnniefootball.com/archive/touchdowntommy/2009/10/12/scouting-the-tommies/

No one is ever going to give you and OAS credit for burying the hatchet after your spat some odd years ago. We reveled in that.

Dens: How long have you been around on Post Patterns?  Do you remember the Battle Royale's that OAS and I used to have?  Man those were some great feuds in 2000, 2001, 2002.  We are pals though now as I am on to his schtick.  Touchdown Tommy is a kinder, gentler soul these days.

GHC: What is the line on the 'Cats vs Lewis and Clark this week?  Are you nervous?  TDT saw your twitter account last night and will be "following" you shortly...

TDT,

Let me tell you a story that I've heard about Dens (if he doesn't mind).  GHC and Dens attended Linfield back in the day when Linfield Legend Ted Wilson was the basketball coach and the 'Cats played in the tiny barn of a gym (Riley Gym).  I guess the whole crowd was pretty much on top of the floor.  At that time the 'Cats had a very damn good hoops team and was of playoff caliber year in and year out.

The way it went is that Dens would attend the games but he wouldn't sit in the student section or even with the crowd.  Dens would bring a folding chair into the games and sit near the baseline or in the opposite corner from the crowd (correct me if I'm wrong Dens).  When the 'Cats had a team on the ropes and Dens thought the game was in hand he would stand up, fold up his chair, and leave.  The Linfield crowd caught on and knew when Dens left the game was over.

The best part of this story is that the 'Cats had a playoff game at Riley Gym one year and on the opening tip, Linfield took the opening possession in for a score to open up a 2-0 lead.  Right then, Dens stood up, folded up his chair and left.  I guess the place went crazy and the 'Cats went on and rolled for a big win.

Hey WC11, I just sent you a message on your catdome email, don't know which one you'll have the chance to read first. Please accept my apologies, I should be doing a  better job checking that secondary email account. Good luck in the alumni game Saturday, I hope we have the chance to meet on the sidelines later this season. 

Pat Coleman

That's an awesome story about DOC -- thanks for sharing, pretty cool. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Nihon Tiger

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on October 15, 2009, 08:58:34 PM
Quote from: Nihon Tiger on October 15, 2009, 08:35:16 PM
Quote from: Steel Curtain on October 15, 2009, 06:41:52 PM
How does Oxy stand in regards to playoff positioning?

If Oxy wins out, they get the AQ.  Cal-Lu can also win out and get the AQ.  If the latter happens, Oxy probably doesn't stand much chance of getting a pool C bid; some 8-1 SCIAC teams have recently been unable to get an at-large, so a 7-2 Oxy team (with the additional Linfield loss) would probably be left out.

If Cal-Lu beats Oxy and then loses to Redlands, all three teams are 5-1 in conference play and tie for the championship.  The "Rose Bowl Rule" applies and Cal-Lu goes to the playoffs because they have the longest playoff drought.  Oxy might have a chance at a pool C bid here at 8-1 with the win over Redlands and close loss to Linfield.

The only other scenario I can think of is if Cal-Lu beats Oxy but loses to 2 other teams (highly unlikely).  That would leave Oxy and Redlands tied at 5-1, and Oxy would go on the head-to-head tiebreaker.

*Phew* OK I think that's about it...

Under that scenario, Oxy would be 7-2, not 8-1.

Thanks, I knew I was gonna mess up somewhere!  In that case at 7-2 they'd probably be out.  BTW Linfield over L&C 62-14.  62 instead of 63 b/c your kicker's leg goes numb from overuse after the 8th XP.

Bearcat Press

BEARCATS RETAIN WAGON WHEEL BY THRASHING PIONEERS

Tim Walsh
Sports Editor

Lewis & Clark football has come a long way since the school nearly ended the program in 2005, but Saturday proved that the Pioneers still have a long way to go if they ever hope to reclaim their most treasured trophy from their I-5 rivals.

In the 60th installment of the annual Wagon Wheel Game, 17th-ranked Willamette jumped out to a 42-0 lead in the first 26 minutes en route to a 69-24 walloping at Griswold Stadium in Portland. The Bearcats (5-1, 2-0 Northwest Conference) played 90 men, featured 16 ball carriers, seven receivers and four quarterbacks, all while bringing the Wheel back to Salem for the 15th time in their last 16 tries.

"We wanted to keep the Wheel, play well, prepare for the next couple of weeks, and play a lot of guys," Head Coach Mark Speckman said. "We did all that."

With the historic Wheel – inscribed with the last 59 Willamette-Lewis & Clark results – sitting behind the Bearcats' bench, fullback Jamiere Abney quickly gained the lead for the trophy holders, bouncing and spinning his way into the end zone from 12 yards away. Freshman flanker Matthew Williams doubled the lead to 14-0 on a 24-yard sweep, and just three plays later, defensive end Cory Lowe picked up Pioneer quarterback Tucker Laurence's fumble and ran into the end zone for his second fumble-recovery touchdown of the year.

Lewis & Clark (0-4, 0-2 NWC) did have some success moving the ball against the usually stingy Bearcat defense, mainly because of the shifty Laurence, who sidestepped sack attempts throughout the day. But Laurence was stuffed on fourth and one at the Willamette 29, and after Mitchell Rowan downed a punt inside the Pioneer 20, linebacker Ralph Pineda recovered a fumble of his own, down to the L&C 10. Two plays later, Deon Horne crossed the goal line, giving Willamette a 28-0 advantage minutes into the second quarter.

"I thought our defensive performance was solid, not exactly spectacular," Speckman said. "We need to work on our tackling."

With a four-touchdown lead, Speckman subbed in his second-string, and freshmen linebackers Jordan Weil and Matthew Parr made an immediate impact, recovering a third fumble deep in L&C territory. But the drive stalled, and Rowan looked set to attempt a long field goal when the 'Cats pulled a new trick out of their bag.

"Coach told me we were going to run a fake," defensive end Walter Robinson said. "But I don't think [quarterback Brian Widing] knew until the snap."

Widing, Rowan's holder, rolled to his right and picked out Robinson on the sideline. After making a remarkable leaping catch, Robinson eluded several tacklers before scoring his first collegiate touchdown and starting a raucous end zone celebration.

"Yeah, I've been joking about playing tight end," Robinson said. "But I'm a defense guy. I love playing defensive end."

Flanker Terrell Malley scored an effortless touchdown to make the score 42-0, but the Pioneers had one big run left. After initially muffing Rowan's kickoff, L&C's Logan Kotzian spotted a breakdown in Willamette's coverage and sprinted 98 yards – untouched – into the end zone.

The Bearcats then failed to pick up a bizarre onside kick, and the Pioneers recovered, driving 36 yards for another score. After a Cody Pastorino interception was wiped out by a Willamette offsides penalty, the Pioneers scored again, making the score 42-14 at halftime.

"Give [L&C] credit. That kickoff return was a great play by their kid," Speckman said. "The onside kick was tricky. We didn't think that would happen."

But the Bearcats were ready when the Pioneers attempted another onside. Pastorino caught the ball and the Bearcats wasted no time with Chad Pollard scoring his fifth touchdown in three games. Laurence, however, led an impressive response drive, cutting the lead to 49-17 on a field goal.

From there on out, however, it was almost all Willamette, with several other freshmen standing out. Flanker Jake Turner took his first touch of the game into the end zone from 17 yards out, and another freshman quarterback, Jake Jones, both tossed a touchdown pass to Tyler Whitcomb and directed an 11 play, 61 yard drive capped off by a touchdown run from Brent Turner. L&C's backups scored on a late drive of their own to provide the final margin.

"Jake's doing a great job, and he's not that far back [from Widing and Kevin Ramay]," Speckman said. "We have a great group of quarterbacks ... that's an understatement."

Still, the 24 points were the most Willamette had given up to Lewis & Clark since the Bearcats last lost the Wagon Wheel in 2000, and Speckman was noticeably disappointed at some of his team's play – despite the margin of victory.

"Honestly, I thought we executed better against La Verne," Speckman said. "We're still a work in progress, and we're not a juggernaut by any means. We still have a lot to prove."
"It's a slippery slope from the penthouse to the outhouse." - Mark Speckman

Bearcat Press

GAME DAY #7:
#17 Willamette Bearcats vs. Pacific Lutheran Lutes

WHEN: 1:30 p.m. Saturday

WHERE: McCulloch Stadium

RECORDS: #17 Willamette 5-1, 2-0 NWC; Pacific Lutheran 1-3, 1-0 NWC

ON THE AIR: Webcast at www.willamette.edu/athletics

BRIEFLY: The Lutes are a traditional powerhouse, with four national championships to their name – most recently in 1999, after PLU defeated Willamette in a first round matchup at McCulloch Stadium. The Bearcats took a 24-7 lead deep into the fourth quarter before the Lutes scored 21 unanswered points to win 28-24.  Ten years on, the loss still weighs on Speckman. "That was very, very tough. We've had so many great games with PLU, but that one stands out," Speckman said.

Though the Lutes have fallen on hard times recently, they still lead the NWC in passing yardage behind a multiple formation offense with a healthy dose of trick plays.  "The Lutes are just wacky," Speckman said. Even wackier might be the numbers of PLU junior wide receiver Greg Ford, who had 13 catches for 292 yards in last week's loss to Gustavus Adolphus.  Between Ford and the Lutes' unpredictable nature, Speckman is urging his players to ignore PLU's 1-3 record.

"The players may not yet understand what PLU means, but the coaches certainly do," Speckman said. "They're always extremely dangerous."
"It's a slippery slope from the penthouse to the outhouse." - Mark Speckman

Gig Harbor Cat

What can I say  Dens OC is a legend.  So sports fans when he calls in a score for our Cat game ----Phone it in, cause its in the bank boys !!!

OK boys  Sports Trivia-- Name the section of the Gym that Dens set his chair next to at every home game-- and tell us just how wild it was !!

GHC

Bubs1856

"Football...You Bet, Football...You Bet; Quarterback...Sack, Quarterback...Sack!"

OxyBob

D O.C.

I resemble that remark.

Well folks, 85 degrees and a visibility of 150 miles today here in the southland. 5-6 foot WNW swell. Water temperature 65-69 degrees.

QuoteI got to leave this place. I don't care what these people think. Hip hop hippity hop...

Just took the rest of the day off.

NO INJURIES!
for either team
there in that duck drizzle.

Unsolicited advice for all you Homecoming participants: don't leave your puts short on the wet greens and PACE yourselves Saturday. It's going to be a looooong day. The fireworks start at 7:30P.
Who is going to step up and film the 11 and the Wildkats? You know we all want to see it. He may just be playing with a helmet cam he invented. Now, that would be great.

wildcat11

Quote from: D O.C. on October 16, 2009, 02:58:06 PM
Unsolicited advice for all you Homecoming participants: don't leave your puts short on the wet greens and PACE yourselves Saturday. It's going to be a looooong day. The fireworks start at 7:30P.
Who is going to step up and film the 11 and the Wildkats? You know we all want to see it. He may just be playing with a helmet cam he invented. Now, that would be great.

We'll have one of the varsity guys do the honors of shooting sideline video.  In terms of playing in the Alumni/JV game...I plan on making a Stan Lee like cameo and getting the hell out of the way.

Bubs1856

Don't forget to keep voting for Joe.  He is at number 16 right now and only 6 votes out of the top 15.  You can vote once per day.

http://www.coachoftheyear.com/Coaches.aspx
"Football...You Bet, Football...You Bet; Quarterback...Sack, Quarterback...Sack!"

D O.C.

Quote.I plan on making a Stan Lee like cameo and getting the hell out of the way.

...all the better to shoot with a helmet cam!

river

Great articles BCP!  The WU - PLU games have been some of the most entertaining.

Quote from: BearcatPress on October 16, 2009, 03:45:08 AM

BEARCATS RETAIN WAGON WHEEL BY THRASHING PIONEERS

GAME DAY #7:
#17 Willamette Bearcats vs. Pacific Lutheran Lutes

WHEN: 1:30 p.m. Saturday

WHERE: McCulloch Stadium

RECORDS: #17 Willamette 5-1, 2-0 NWC; Pacific Lutheran 1-3, 1-0 NWC

ON THE AIR: Webcast at www.willamette.edu/athletics

BRIEFLY: The Lutes are a traditional powerhouse, with four national championships to their name – most recently in 1999, after PLU defeated Willamette in a first round matchup at McCulloch Stadium. The Bearcats took a 24-7 lead deep into the fourth quarter before the Lutes scored 21 unanswered points to win 28-24.  Ten years on, the loss still weighs on Speckman. "That was very, very tough. We've had so many great games with PLU, but that one stands out," Speckman said.

Though the Lutes have fallen on hard times recently, they still lead the NWC in passing yardage behind a multiple formation offense with a healthy dose of trick plays.  "The Lutes are just wacky," Speckman said. Even wackier might be the numbers of PLU junior wide receiver Greg Ford, who had 13 catches for 292 yards in last week's loss to Gustavus Adolphus.  Between Ford and the Lutes' unpredictable nature, Speckman is urging his players to ignore PLU's 1-3 record.

"The players may not yet understand what PLU means, but the coaches certainly do," Speckman said. "They're always extremely dangerous."

GO BEARCATS!! !!

criswyly

Why does this week "feel" like a bye week? :-\
Don't forget your booties cause it's cold out there!